• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yugo SKS - Best Choice, Best Deal?

USMA-82

NES Member
I'm getting that sinking feeling that the "very good," "excellent" and "unissued grade" Yugo SKS's are disappearing, and I think I better whip out the old C&R and do something about it.

I'm torn between going with the excellent ($149) or unissued ($169) Yugo 59/66 with grenade launcher, or the Good/VG ($149) Yugo 59 without grenade launcher. I've read about some concerns regarding the gas valve on the 59/66, and I'm not sure I want an extra pound worth of useless weight hanging off the end of the barrel. But I have heard great things about the newer SKS's accuracy on the range. And even though I know I'm covered with the C&R, I still get that "Oh Crap, I'm in Massachusetts" feeling when I think about having an "evil" grenade launcher.

Which way do I go, in your opinion? And which online vendor has the best deal? I've seen enough of them at the gun shows and gun shops to know not to waste my time there - too much of a mark-up.

Thanks!

Ken

PM me if you are concerned (rightly so) about naming online vendors still willing to do business with us lowly Ma**h***s!

Last edited:
Best deal was the cleaned up very good condition one i'm selling to Jay G saturday.[laugh] Actually i've got some info for you on new ones and where to buy, i'll PM you.

the Yugo 59/66 with grenade launcher has a large "cool" factor, good for display & the range. I'd go with the '59 for field use, shorter, quieter, lighter.

I like to think that the grenade launcher acts as a muzzle protector too. Rifles w/out it being cleaned from the muzzle will have a tendancy to have more wear on the crown. Besides, the 59/66 rifles are cheaper, and in better condition, and you can always take it off if it bothers you. Myself I like the extra weight, as small as it is, for keeping the barrel down for follow up shots.
Only problems i've ever heard about the gas system is the valve needing replacing on some models and thats a simple fix as described here.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

edit note: One other cool feature about the un-issued 59/66 model is the flip up night sites feature.[grin]

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Best deal was the cleaned up very good condition one i'm selling to Jay G saturday.[laugh] Actually i've got some info for you on new ones and where to buy, i'll PM you.

Ain't THAT the truth! I saw they were going for $150, my first thought was, you mean I'm saving $20 *AND* I don't have to clean it? WOO HOO!

I bought one listed as very good and it was. Damn fine little gun. [smile] IIRC, I only paid $80 for it, but that was a few years back.

Hey Jay...lemme know what you want to hit the club to try out your new toy. [laugh] [laugh]

Since there is the 59 version that doesn't have the launcher and thats still C&R, i'm not sure if theres any violation there.

Lynne said:
I bought one listed as very good and it was. Damn fine little gun. [smile] IIRC, I only paid $80 for it, but that was a few years back.

Hey Jay...lemme know what you want to hit the club to try out your new toy. [laugh] [laugh]

Hmmm. Last weekend of this month (4/29/30) is free... :)

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Since there is the 59 version that doesn't have the launcher and thats still C&R, i'm not sure if theres any violation there.

One of the on line sellers offers "CA legal" 59/66's that have the launcher removed and replaced with a muzzle brake. Which would make me think that it's not a violation. Strange, I would think that it would be the bayonet, not the launcher that would be the problem.

Gary

Guys:

I found the "Mother of All SKS Info Sites." Check this out - especially the section towards the end about the 59/66:

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

The C&R status applies to your individual rifle - if you alter it in a "significant way," you void the status. The author of this website goes into detail on this and many other C&R matters - with information/references to back it up.

Last edited:
Some of these rifles have holes drilled in the grenade launcher that act as a sort of muzzle break. Anyone own one or seen one?

Back
Top Bottom