Youtuber gets in guy's face.....gets shot

No, they didn't. They found him not guilty of "aggravated malicious wounding" It's not the same thing as "self defense"

This part is hilarious given your avatar. :)

Probably not, but it wasn't found to be self defense, he was found not guilty of aggravated malicious wounding"

i.e. "it was clearly self defense" is not the same as, "there's insufficient evidence to convict of the crime he was charged with"
I don't care enough to read the articles

Was his not guilty finding not predicated on a claim of lawfully justified self defense?

I don't care enough to read the articles

Was his not guilty finding not predicated on a claim of lawfully justified self defense?

We don't know, I think. He claimed self defense *AND* they found him not guilty of not guilty of aggravated malicious wounding.

Without insight into the jury's thinking or deliberations, any conclusion we come to would risk a post-hoc falacy.

I read the same thing and was sure I misunderstood something.....cleared of the shooting but still in jail due to discharging the firearm.....HUH ???

So if he was "lucky" enough to be harassed/confronted in the parking lot he would free now ???

This kid needs some 2A lawyer help.
facing 2-10 years for "shooting into an occupied dwelling". Hopefully this will be dropped.

Without insight into the jury's thinking or deliberations, any conclusion we come to would risk a post-hoc falacy.
The internet is full of interpretations of the verdict. I can't find an actual verdict form or transcript online. It could theoretically affirm a finding of self-defense. I think it probably does not.

There's a hearing scheduled for October 19.

Last edited:
Your theory of force escalation should be taught in police academies.

Good thing I'm not a sovereign citizen, I'm a civilian, and the police rules don't apply.

Although a good teabagging on livestream would probably do more to curtail crime than signature bonds and personal recognizance.

I'll talk to my marketing manager and legal team and see if we can make this work out. If I get a contract I'll send you a cut. Thanks for the lead.

No, they didn't. They found him not guilty of "aggravated malicious wounding" It's not the same thing as "self defense"

And why did they find him not guilty? It was on grounds of self defense, which they were initially split on.

Three hours in, the jury sent out a note saying it was “divided in terms of whether the defendant acted in self-defense”.
The Loudoun county circuit court judge Matthew Snow called the jury back into the courtroom at approximately 3.30pm and urged them to continue deliberations…The jury then delivered its verdicts at the end of the day.

In fact his lawyer has already filed a motion to overrun the one conviction for exactly the reason I stated.

Colie’s defense attorney, Adam Pouilliard, said the conviction on the firearms charge is inconsistent with the law, given Colie’s acquittal on self-defense grounds. He asked the judge to set aside the conviction. A judge will hear arguments on the issue at a hearing next month.

He didn't shoot into an occupied dwelling, he shot into a man he believed was a threat.
I strongly believe that the tack on charges on this guy are largely political- basically whoever the prosecutor is is throwing a toddler temper tantrum because they know that a reasonable person isn't going to put this guy in the clink.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot2lp2a8lWA

Andrew Branca thinks the jury’s verdict was a reasonable one.

Well, Branca clearly has far more training and expertise in this area than I do, so I have to defer to his judgment.

Looking at this from a different perspective, the defendant has been in custody since the shooting and is still in custody pending a hearing about the charge for which he was found guilty. So he won, but the process itself was still one heck of a punishment, and that's before we even start talking about his legal fees.

Nobody cares about Andrew whoever and their book of self defense. All that matters is Kentucky statutes.
View attachment 801192
A Kentucky jury disagrees
Shooting happened in Dulles Town Center Mall, shooter was charged by Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, so it was a Virginia jury.

Well, Branca clearly has far more training and expertise in this area than I do, so I have to defer to his judgment.

Looking at this from a different perspective, the defendant has been in custody since the shooting and is still in custody pending a hearing about the charge for which he was found guilty. So he won, but the process itself was still one heck of a punishment, and that's before we even start talking about his legal fees.
Was wondering why exactly Alan Colie wasn't able to get bail. None of the articles has any detail on reason for his pre-trial detention.
I strongly believe that the tack on charges on this guy are largely political- basically whoever the prosecutor is is throwing a toddler temper tantrum because they know that a reasonable person isn't going to put this guy in the clink.
This and the pre-trial detention both appear to be a Virginia thing -- Loudon's "Commonwealth's Attorney" Buta Biberaj ran her campaign on a promise to persecute concealed carriers for any possible offense.

Definitely true. I think that we’re all in agreement that it wasn’t a good move on his (the shooters) part. I also think we were all rooting for the defendant and thought the “victim” was an a$$wipe who got what he deserved. Branca said in that video that he thought that it would’ve been a reasonable verdict either way.

Shooting happened in Dulles Town Center Mall, shooter was charged by Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, so it was a Virginia jury.

Was wondering why exactly Alan Colie wasn't able to get bail. None of the articles has any detail on reason for his pre-trial detention.

This and the pre-trial detention both appear to be a Virginia thing -- Loudon's "Commonwealth's Attorney" Buta Biberaj ran her campaign on a promise to persecute concealed carriers for any possible offense.
Lol. I noticed it was Virginia. Not sure why we were citing Kentucky law? Typical Yankees, all the southern states just look the same. Sounds like another Actavis DA. Wonder how much Soros money she took.

Lol. I noticed it was Virginia. Not sure why we were citing Kentucky law? Typical Yankees, all the southern states just look the same. Sounds like another Actavis DA. Wonder how much Soros money she took.

She calls herself a progressive prosecutor. [1]

Apparently this case has been resolved. Alan Colie, the food delivery guy, who has apparently been in jail until a few days ago, was sentenced to time served for the felony he was convicted of, which was "discharging a firearm within a building."

In my opinion, this has been an interesting and troubling case. Self defense experts and lawyers have had different opinions about whether the shooting was justified. Andrew Branca, of Law of Self Defense, had a long video where he examined both sides of the issue and gave his own opinion that arguing self defense for this shooting was a 50/50 gamble that could go either way.

However, attorney Branca, and every other lawyer who I have seen comment on this issue, stated that the conviction for discharging a firearm within a building could not stand. That since the malicious wounding charge was found not guilty due to self defense, lesser charges related to discharging the firearm were subsumed as self defense. And that even though the jury clearly wanted to split the difference, and not fully absolve Mr Colie, that they could not, in fact, do so. That if shooting the "prankster" was self defense, then all lesser included actions are defense as well.

Apparently, the judge in Virginia disagrees on this point, and has agreed with the prosecutor on some interpretation of Virginia law where shooting an assailant may be self-defense, but discharging the firearm is still a felony.

For people interested in gun rights and law related to self defense, there have been many lessons to learn from this incident, and now even more from the legal outcome. I wonder whether the conviction, and resulting prohibited person status will be appealed, but since Mr Colie is now out of jail, and presumably broke, that does not seem likely.

Last edited:
Apparently this case has been resolved. Alan Colie, the food delivery guy, who has apparently been in jail until a few days ago, was sentenced to time served for the felony he was convicted of, which was "discharging a firearm within a building."

In my opinion, this has been an interesting and troubling case. Self defense experts and lawyers have had different opinions about whether the shooting was justified. Andrew Branca, of Law of Self Defense, had a long video where he examined both sides of the issue and gave his own opinion that arguing self defense for this shooting was a 50/50 gamble that could go either way.

However, attorney Branca, and every other lawyer who I have seen comment on this issue, stated that the conviction for discharging a firearm within a building could not stand. That since the malicious wounding charge was found not guilty due to self defense, lesser charges related to discharging the firearm were subsumed as self defense. And that even though the jury clearly wanted to split the difference, and not fully absolve Mr Colie, that they could not, in fact, do so. That if shooting the "prankster" was self defense, then all lesser included actions are defense as well.

Apparently, the judge in Virginia disagrees on this point, and has agreed with the prosecutor on some interpretation of Virginia law where shooting an assailant may be self-defense, but discharging the firearm is still a felony.

For people interested in gun rights and law related to self defense, there have been many lessons to learn from this incident, and now even more from the legal outcome. I wonder whether the conviction and resulting prohibited person status will be appealed, but since Mr Colie is now out of jail, and presumably broke, that does not seem likely.
...shooting an assailant may be self-defense, but discharging the firearm is still a felony.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Wow, that’s the fast road to “self defense is illegal”

I hope he appeals.

Back
Top Bottom