• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your targets from your Milsurp

As I posted in the SKS Fun shoot thread... Jay G and I went to the range on Saturday and we shot our SKS's. I'm not a rifle shooter, but I was rather pleased at how I did with iron sights at 50 yds (considering I've only shot it 2 other times and the last time was proably 18 months ago). The target is a hand made one and the SKS rounds (circled in black marker) are about 7 or 8 inches apart (and Jay can attest to that [smile] ). One that doesn't show was directly in the bull.

IM000355.jpg

No, just saying that cause from what I can see if I made a smart ass remark at 50 yds I'd be pulling lead out of my rear end.

Looks good, I'll have to post a photo of a target at 200yds with my SKS with open sights. Flotter can be the witness that I didn't cheat LOL.

It's kinda funny, I bought some of those colored front sights for the SKS, I screwed in the orange one about half way, popped off a round at the steel target at 200 and it hit dead on, fired 9 more and they all hit. If anyone wants my extra sensory sight alignment let me know [grin]

Rifle... Romanian 22 trainer, $69
Scope... BSA air gun 3-7 power from Wal Mart, $15
Ammo... Old box of Federal Lightning
3 shots touching at 100 yards, for me priceless.[grin]

Mvc-013f.jpg

e0f415c1.jpg

I don't usually use paper with my milsurps. On the 100 yard berm I use clay pigeons. I like to see them go up in a cloud of dust. I figure minute of clay pigeon is adequate for me.

At the 50, I like water filled 1 liter bottles. After they explode. I try to get a couple more hits as they fly around the face of the berm.

Interestingly, a 30-06 just goes straight thru a water filled bottle, apparently doing nothing but making two 30 cal holes, while an M1 carbine hit will cause the bottle to blow apart.

Guess which I enjoy shooting the most.[laugh2]

Pilgrim said:
Interestingly, a 30-06 just goes straight thru a water filled bottle, apparently doing nothing but making two 30 cal holes

the exact opposite happend with me, i took my dads remington 7400 and shot it at a coke bottle filled with water, it totally screwed it up.

bottle2.jpg

I still think soda cans when filled to the top with water, especially the tall Jolt cans with screw on cap, make the best objects to shoot. I still have a 16oz energy drink can in the back of my truck that looks like it was chewed up and spat out. Its ripped in half and has holes all throught it, and that was from a Turk 8mm round. Something about the water pressure exploding the can that makes for some violent tin tearing fun.
If only I could get a hold of a case of cheap expired soda. A bumpy ride down to the range on a warm day would make for 24 fun little pressurized targets.[smile]

First what brand of sks is it?

Good shootin and with an sks too and with the irons thats awesome. You shot really great with just a few flyers sometimes thats the norm with imported ammo!!! I love to see sks's shoot this good when i'm surrounded by the sks haters because i love hearing the wimpers. Don't forget these sks's don't shoot accurate like most of the ones who don't own one say, so lets not show this to everyone so they won't buy them all up on us.

I find out its when i stop blasting away or plinkin at cans and get serious about accuracy that these can really be accurate. I would laugh(snicker) a while back at every sniper sks i would see because i thought they were a joke until i benchrested a few of mine.

I love shooting the 1 gallon milk plastic bottles filled with water with my 45acp and 44mag. but your right too the old '06 likes them too.

Last edited:
yeah we have some old soda thats pretty gross that i shoot at with my 10/22. shake up the can then shoot it, ive had soda shoot out as far as like 15 feet. and the pressure being released like that rips the can all apart, infact once i had a can blow into two peices.

First try with my M1917 using a handload.
Got a better load now, and the "software behind the buttstock"
is getting along with the rifle better, too.
Shot @ 100 meters, prone, supported
Schussbild.jpg

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I still think soda cans when filled to the top with water, especially the tall Jolt cans with screw on cap, make the best objects to shoot. I still have a 16oz energy drink can in the back of my truck that looks like it was chewed up and spat out. Its ripped in half and has holes all throught it, and that was from a Turk 8mm round. Something about the water pressure exploding the can that makes for some violent tin tearing fun.
If only I could get a hold of a case of cheap expired soda. A bumpy ride down to the range on a warm day would make for 24 fun little pressurized targets.[smile]

Last summer I took a case of Miller Genuine Draft that had been sitting in my garage for ~ 5 years to a friend's private range (he lives on a 10 acre farm in New Hampster).

Thus, "Redneck Trap" was born...

Back
Top Bottom