• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

I'm adding a 112 to my collection soon, then I'm on to Case. I have a new found affinity for their slip joints, and I think I want one of their Switchback assists for a classier EDC knife.

A friend of mine came across a USMC Kabar and passed it on to me because I collect knives. It will definitely get the job done, whatever job it may be. I can’t seem to nail down a date for it, probably 70’s or later.View attachment 682165View attachment 682166
How do you usually date these? I have one that belonged to my wife's grand father. He was a Korean war vet, I know it probably wasn't his combat knife and picked it up later in life but I would love to know how old it is.

How do you usually date these? I have one that belonged to my wife's grand father. He was a Korean war vet, I know it probably wasn't his combat knife and picked it up later in life but I would love to know how old it is.

This may help… though it doesn’t look like they have much info for modern Ka Bars. I’ve also seen a document floating around that had info pertaining to tang stamps. It’s not the one that’s on the website I posted. I believe I saw it on bladeforums.com, I’ll try to find it.

This may help… though it doesn’t look like they have much info for modern Ka Bars. I’ve also seen a document floating around that had info pertaining to tang stamps. It’s not the one that’s on the website I posted. I believe I saw it on bladeforums.com, I’ll try to find it.
Thanks for the info. According to the tank stamp I'm assuming this is 1950-70 or newer. I noticed they don't mention the USMC markings, we're these actually issued to marines or is it just a marketing thing for civilians? Her grandfather was a Marine and fought in Korea, I wonder if it's possible that this was his knife?, no one in her family knows. The sheath looks to clean to be that old
PXL_20221106_135510953.jpg PXL_20221106_135351277.jpg PXL_20221106_135327111.jpg

The staples in the sheath... they don't do that anymore.

I wore a KaBar on my LBE for about a year and the sheath came out looking absolutely rotted. Nowhere near as good as that one. I had to smear epoxy on it just to make it hold together.

That said, that looks like a fairly old one. I'm no expert at all.

Thanks for the info. According to the tank stamp I'm assuming this is 1950-70 or newer. I noticed they don't mention the USMC markings, we're these actually issued to marines or is it just a marketing thing for civilians? Her grandfather was a Marine and fought in Korea, I wonder if it's possible that this was his knife?, no one in her family knows. The sheath looks to clean to be that old
View attachment 682697View attachment 682699
That is an awesome looking knife. I’m certainly no expert on these either. I’m sure @enbloc knows a lot more than I do. From what I recall they were officially issued through Vietnam, but don’t quote me.

That is an awesome looking knife. I’m certainly no expert on these either. I’m sure @enbloc knows a lot more than I do. From what I recall they were officially issued through Vietnam, but don’t quote me.
@Sterg is our historical expert as far as I'm concerned. He deep dives into stamps, markings and styles.

But... here is a circa 1950 Ka-Bar and its sheath. The knives can be difficult to date, and at best can be ID'd by its era.

The sheath though, has the tell-tale heavy-duty staples that date it to that period. Later examples have brass rivets.

1667747622864.png
1667747646653.png
1667747688276.png

The staples in the sheath... they don't do that anymore.

I wore a KaBar on my LBE for about a year and the sheath came out looking absolutely rotted. Nowhere near as good as that one. I had to smear epoxy on it just to make it hold together.

That said, that looks like a fairly old one. I'm no expert at all.
Ya, I'm pretty sure that sheath came along later in the knives life. I'd love to get an idea of how old it is just out of curiosity. Not looking to sell it, it's got sentimental value and will stay in the family.

The Buck 112 is a personal favorite...
As solid as the day is long.

View attachment 682527

now I have to get a 112. Thanks.
@Sterg is our historical expert as far as I'm concerned. He deep dives into stamps, markings and styles.

But... here is a circa 1950 Ka-Bar and its sheath. The knives can be difficult to date, and at best can be ID'd by its era.

The sheath though, has the tell-tale heavy-duty staples that date it to that period. Later examples have brass rivets.

View attachment 682728
View attachment 682729
View attachment 682730
@enbloc , thanks for the kind words. The Kabar tang chart puts mine 70’s or newer. Or so I thought. The staples in the sheath is a good indicator of the age like @Picton says. The tank stamp chart for Kabar seems a bit incomplete for newer models.

Last edited:
@enbloc , thanks for the kind words. The Kabar tang chart puts mine 70’s or newer. Or so I thought. The staples in the sheath is a good indicator of the age like @Picton says. The tank stamp chart for Kabar seems a bit incomplete for newer models.
Oh, I missed @Picton's post about the staples. Absolutely correct. Good eyes Pict. I do know that the sheaths came in 7, 8 and 9 staple configurations.
Used on and off since WWII through Vietnam from different sheath manufacturers contracted by the US Government. Those manufacturers produced
stitch-only, stitch and rivet, stitch and staple. In 1976 Ka-Bar reissued a stitch and staple sheath that continues to be used today on "Commemorative Reproductions"
~Enbloc

Oh, I missed @Picton's post about the staples. Absolutely correct. Good eyes Pict. I do know that the sheaths came in 7, 8 and 9 staple configurations.
Used on and off since WWII through Vietnam from different sheath manufacturers contracted by the US Government. Those manufacturers produced
stitch-only, stitch and rivet, stitch and staple. In 1976 Ka-Bar reissued a stitch and staple sheath that continues to be used today on "Commemorative Reproductions"
~Enbloc
Good info on the sheaths. Mine has a Teflon like coating on the blade as opposed to blue or black passivate. Definitely an indication of a newer one.

Good info on the sheaths. Mine has a Teflon like coating on the blade as opposed to blue or black passivate. Definitely an indication of a newer one.
Would have been so much easier if they had stamped the manufacture year in the tang...

Yes, but i had “Graphite”. I’d previously used it on a set of g10 bugout scales that were originally a little too light gray for my liking. I left the backspacer in it for 20 mins and it came out as black as the blade.

Though as soon as I’d done it I thought I should have bought another Wyvern with black scales and swapped the backspacers between them.
I got my RiT Graphite DyeMore Synthetic dye in and will be dyeing my spacer tomorrow, but I have one question. The directions say to use a little dish detergent in
the solution for cloth but did not mention "FRN" applications. A few youTube vids said they used it.

My question is, did you?

Thanks,
~Enbloc

I got my RiT Graphite DyeMore Synthetic dye in and will be dyeing my spacer tomorrow, but I have one question. The directions say to use a little dish detergent in
the solution for cloth but did not mention "FRN" applications. A few youTube vids said they used it.

My question is, did you?

Thanks,
~Enbloc
Affirmative to the dish soap. Dawn. Pine scented.

Was working on this one but is on hold as I have to travel , Recurve with a micarta handle, a ways to go but it is taking shape.
52100 steel about 5&1/2 inch blade 12 overall, also a persian after I get this one done.

Attachments

• F6CE8B6F-741E-4667-91FA-09E967984D44.jpeg
    F6CE8B6F-741E-4667-91FA-09E967984D44.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 023E47C8-610E-4558-B9EE-87240EC2D60E.jpeg
    023E47C8-610E-4558-B9EE-87240EC2D60E.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 8DD36844-10FF-445A-8026-77EC5FDFC819.jpeg
    8DD36844-10FF-445A-8026-77EC5FDFC819.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 28
From the recent Ka-Barapalooza…

View attachment 687847

Ek EK50 and Navy Mk 1 with the kraton handle.

They both feel indestructible. The Ek, in particular, has some really nice heft to it. Pair of nice, handy little blades, and for 50% off they were outstanding deals.
My order hasn't even shipped yet!

I'll put them back in the shipping box until you get yours.

#NES_Solidarity
Nevermind! It was in the mail box! When I searched Kabar in my email I only got the order confirmation. I had to search Ka-Bar for the tracking...

This thing is hysterical. Such a beast. Shorter than I thought but that's actually better. Will be replacing the BK2 in my car.
20221118_171724.jpg

Back
Top Bottom