Your favorite DAO non-polymer framed 9mm or 380ACP pistols

I really enjoyed my p239 when I had it, though, I had the da/sa model. I would imagine the DAK model is just as great considering the method it uses.

Looks like it will need to be converted..because this model is not mass compliant (stated by another poster)...I don't get it cause the regular 239 is compliant...whats the difference??

The lack of a 10lb trigger pull. DAK is supposed to be around 6.5 lbs.

Another vote for the Sig P239 DAK.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=9&productid=83

Looks like it will need to be converted..because this model is not mass compliant (stated by another poster)...I don't get it cause the regular 239 is compliant...whats the difference??

+1. I'd go for as big a Sig as you can deal with carrying and then convert it to DAK.

Can't get one in MA. He can get a new Sig P239 DA/SA and have a gunsmith convert it, but that is getting pretty spendy.

Not too bad price wise - around $150 to have it converted to DAK by a Sig Armorer, probably more with a gunsmith. FS lists conversion to DAO on their site for $199. If you're intrepid and good with your hands you can find the parts for half the price over on Sig Forum or top gun supply.

The lack of a 10lb trigger pull. DAK is supposed to be around 6.5 lbs.

The DAK trigger is fantastic compared to a DAO sig pull. There is an intermediate reset point on the DAK which is 8.5 lbs, however if you let the trigger reset fully the pull lightens to 6.5 lbs.

we've decided that what might be best is a steel, or at least alloy, framed 9mm or 380ACP. She'll hits better with a consistent trigger pull and lighter recoil of a steel non-blowback pistol.

I've got a Kahr K9 if you and your wife would like to try it.
Chuck, if you can't get to the range with m1911, you wife can try out my K9 as well. Don't have another on tap for sale, though, but it's an awesome gun. With a side of awesome sauce, too.

EDIT - there's one showing up on Zero Hour Arms' website.

To the OP: I really like the K9, but I'm currently not carrying it until I replace the holster with something that doesn't point the muzzle at my leg.

I've got an extra factory OWB holster if you're interested. I went to an IWB, so this is an extra.

Last edited:
Chuck, if you can't get to the range with m1911, you wife can try out my K9 as well. Don't have another on tap for sale, though, but it's an awesome gun. With a side of awesome sauce, too.

EDIT - there's one showing up on Zero Hour Arms' website.

I've got an extra factory OWB holster if you're interested. I went to an IWB, so this is an extra.
Ross, thanks for the offer, but it's a little tough for me to conceal an OWB under a t-shirt. I'm absolutely loving the Crossbreed I bought for the 1911, and I'll probably pick up another for the K9.

IIRC, I recently saw K9s in Sparky's in Webster and First Defense in Uxbridge.

Dao steel 9 or 380. I think the Kahr K9 or Mk9 is your best option. I bet if you posted a Wtb ad one or two would pop up.

An Amt backup in 9 or 380 would work. Not my first choice though.

Last edited:
AMT Backups are horrid guns.

Having owned one I can agree with this sentiment. They're basically junkers made of steel instead of pot metal. Have fun too, when your firing pin breaks and nobody has the part.

-Mike

An Amt backup in 9 or 380 would work. Not my first choice though.
This is his wife we're talking about. If he was looking to be single again I'd recommend an AMT. I'd NEVER recommend an AMT to someone I loved.

Except maybe the Automag II. And I only want it for the cool factor of having a .22 magnum auto pistol.

Just my bloody luck. I found out today that a local store had a S&W 3953. I called right away -- someone already asked them to hold it till Friday. But worse than that, he told me this was the last of 10!!! from a PO trade-in! I was rather bummed to say the least.

Blowback operated. Testing with my KelTec 380 shows she's not fast enough with follow on shots. The Beretta is steel, but still I'd hope to find one that fires from a locked breach.

The P3AT uses a locked breech, but the recoil on it can be quite brutal due to it's extremely small size and light weight with such a snappy round. The Beretta .380's are blowback operated but it's night and day between them and a P3AT. You should have her try some other .380's before writing them all off after the KelTec.

The best of the best IMO would be either a p7m8 or P7K3.. Or a reliable (proven) PPK.

Those are all blowback operated.

Browning BDA. Its an amazing shooter, and carries 13 rounds of .380. Its DA/SA but very very easy to shoot well.

browning_bda380_2.jpg

THIS

I know you said non-polymer, but your stated reason was for better recoil control.
Give the Kahr P9 a try. Its polymer and it recoils like a pussycat even though its light.
If that no good, try the steel version the K9.

Don

Can't find a MK9 or K9 for sale, but did find a K40. Anyone know how they compare as far as recoil? She can shoot my full size 45 no problem, so with a steel .40, we might be in business...

The K40's recoil is brutal. Plain and simple.

i like the .32 acp walther pp but the .380 ppk is basicly the same thing just a bit more potent

Back
Top Bottom