Your favorite DAO non-polymer framed 9mm or 380ACP pistols

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

I'm trying to help the wife pick a carry pistol. After going through my entire collection we've decided that what might be best is a steel, or at least alloy, framed 9mm or 380ACP. She hits better with a consistent trigger pull and the lighter recoil of a steel non-blowback pistol. And that's what counts more than weight or caliber. Since she can handle a Glock just fine, I think either a single or double stack would work for her.

I can only think of the steel framed Kahr's (expensive when they can be found in this state) or the S&W 3953. Perhaps there are others. What comes to your mind?!

thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
Sig P239 in DAK?

239-DAK-detail-L.jpg

Blowback operated. Testing with my KelTec 380 shows she's not fast enough with follow on shots. The Beretta is steel, but still I'd hope to find one that fires from a locked breach.

I know that the Kahr 380 is a locked breech design. It's not on the EOPS list, but should be soon. The PM9 is, but finding them isn't easy either. We've had three on order since January and haven't seen one yet.

I know that the Kahr 380 is a locked breech design. It's not on the EOPS list, but should be soon. The PM9 is, but finding them isn't easy either. We've had three on order since January and haven't seen one yet.

OP specified 'non-polymer' DAO pistol. That leaves out the Kahr P/PM-series, which would have been my first choice, as well.

You may consider a NAA Gaurdian 380 or a seecamp 380. If you can find one.
I've got an NAA .32. IIRC, the NAA .380 is not much bigger or heavier than the .32. I find the NAA .32 to be quite unpleasant to shoot. I would not recommend one for a novice shooter.

IMI Micro Eagle, alittle chunkier than the LCP but actually fits the hand quite well for such a small package.

Sig 226, 229, or 239 in 9mm. Can be bought in DA/SA as Mass compliant and then converted to Sig's DAO (I think they call it DAK). I know several ladies have shot my 239 with the hogue grips at a pistol training course and they all liked it. One even bought one for herself.

Kahr MK9 sounds like it fits your criteria perfectly.
I've got a K9 and an MK9. This gun is for his wife. The MK9 is specifically designed as a pocket gun. If she isn't going to carry it in her pocket, but is instead going to carry in her purse, the K9 is far better than the MK9. The K9 has a longer sight radius, longer grip, significantly less recoil, and its slide is easier to cycle.

They're really in their own category but the H&K P7 series of pistols are by far the most accurate production firearms I've ever owned. Heavy perhaps, but unbelievably reliable.

Can't find a MK9 or K9 for sale, but did find a K40. Anyone know how they compare as far as recoil? She can shoot my full size 45 no problem, so with a steel .40, we might be in business...

Can't find a MK9 or K9 for sale, but did find a K40. Anyone know how they compare as far as recoil? She can shoot my full size 45 no problem, so with a steel .40, we might be in business...
I've also got a K40. I would not recommend it. It has significantly more recoil than the K9. I think K9s are not as hard to find as you might think. Let me check with someone and get back to you. I can bring that, too, along with an MK9.

Last edited:
I've also got a K40. I would not recommend it. It has significantly more recoil than the K9. I think K9s are not as hard to find as you might think. Let me check with someone and get back to you. I can bring that, too, along with an MK9.
I do not have both, only the K9, and do not have spec sheets with dimensions...but is the K40 able to be converted to 9mm the same way you can with an M&P?

To the OP: I really like the K9, but I'm currently not carrying it until I replace the holster with something that doesn't point the muzzle at my leg. Nice to shoot, and easy to get a relatively new shooter used to it. Small enough grip with a heavy enough frame to be controllable for my g/f, but still big enough that it fits my hand, and light enough for me to comfortably carry. I'd buy a second one in a heartbeat if I had the funds.

I do not have both, only the K9, and do not have spec sheets with dimensions...but is the K40 able to be converted to 9mm the same way you can with an M&P?
I've never seen such a conversion, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. However, I think that the K9 and K40 frames and slides have slightly different dimensions. I don't think you can just take a K9 slide and fit it on a K40, but I've been wrong before.

Back
Top Bottom