You will shoot the way that you train

JimConway

Instructor
I the past few weeks, I have seen several comments about how you will shoot the way that you train. The opposite if this statement is that you should train the way that you want to shoot. There have been several examples in the past when a dead LEO was found with a pocket full of empty brass (In the days when revolvers were the most common police weapon). The reason for the pocket full of brass can be traced to the police training officer that wanted to keep his range clean and not have to sweep up the brass.

Think about this for a while and you will come to the conclusion that there is a great deal that you can do to enhance your practice and build the habits that will help you survive an armed confrontation. BTW, I certainly recognize that you can not do all of these things on every range. The following are some things that you can do both during your practice sessions and your fun shooting sessions:
When you shoot your gun to empty (slide lock), you should take the opportunity to do an emergency reload.
If you gun has a malfunction, use it as an opportunity to do a MALF clearance as if your life depended on it. If you really want to get good at MALF clearances, work with a friend and load dummy rounds in each other's magazines.
Do you ever practice a tactical reload on the range?
How often do you shoot weak hand or strong hand only? No, I do not mean in a classic bullseye stance.
Do often do you shoot in odd or uncomfortible positions?
If you can, do you ever shoot when you are moving?

By now I am sure that you get the idea. I am equally sure that this group Can come up with many more training opportunities

JimConway said:
When you shoot your gun to empty (slide lock), you should take the opportunity to do an emergency reload.
Sounds like IDPA - especially with a single stack or revolver.

JimConway said:
If you gun has a malfunction, use it as an opportunity to do a MALF clearance as if your life depended on it.
Standard response expected in IDPA. Of course, the SIG shooters get much less practice. SIG shooters should borrow a 1911 on occation to get the practice. (Its a joke - ah say a joke son)

JimConway said:
Do you ever practice a tactical reload on the range?
Standard Exercise in IDPA. In fact, we enforce that you do it behind cover.

JimConway said:
How often do you shoot weak hand or strong hand only?
Standard CoF used in IDPA. You'll get to shoot the same stage in different situations to let you see the difference.

JimConway said:
Do often do you shoot in odd or uncomfortible positions?
Been a real bastard with this in IDPA. OK, you've been knocked down, the only cover is that log. Now roll to the next log and shoot while rolling. (^_^)

JimConway said:
If you can, do you ever shoot when you are moving?
All the time in IDPA

The one drill that is VERY hard to make people do is retreat while firing. Especially in a 'game'. How do you MAKE people run backwards fast? All the other stuff is pretty easy.

I've even set up shooters so they have NO IDEA what is coming, start them when they don't expect it, and make them solve the problem on the move.

Seen some good shooters completely fall apart when they are put on the spot like that.

The other 'fun' one is to seat a shooter behind a door and expose the shooter to some array of targets. There might be a threat, there might not. Open the door and find out. If you so much as display your gun on a non-threat, PENALTY. Watch those equick draw shooters slow WAY down.

Ask Ross. He'll tell ya. (^_^)

JimConway said:
If you gun has a malfunction, use it as an opportunity to do a MALF clearance as if your life depended on it.

Chris said:
Standard response expected in IDPA. Of course, the SIG shooters get much less practice. SIG shooters should borrow a 1911 on occation to get the practice. (Its a joke - ah say a joke son)

You ALL should try a Helwan, if you want training on Malf's. 8)

Chris, you and Ross are going to HAVE to get me into IDPA. This sounds like a lot of fun.

And, as to get people to run backwards, try a few soccer drills. We used to jog around the field (in soccer training/practice) and go from forwards to sideways to backwards, etc. You learn to run backwards fairly well.

Nickle, it isn't that people 'can't' run backwards, they refuse to.

Because it's a game, we get people who will softstep to make good hits and then race back to the 'line' to fire the last shot to avoid the penalty.

Yes, I could enact the Failure to Do Right penalty, but it seems to me that there should be some way to structure the Cof...

Maybe... If I take a 500 lb log suspended by cables, attach the target to one end, and then on the 'go signal, I release the log to swing at the shooter so if they don't retreat fast, they... somehow I don't think that would pass the safety review.

When I ran the classifier last year (A really freaking BORING shoot) I made a 'bonus' stage to at least have one interesting part. Here is how it ran...

You were led one at a time into a range bay that was completely blocked with landscape rabric so you could not see what was inside.

Inside, you saw a door with more landscape fabric blocking the rest of the range.

In front of the door was a chair and a table.

This was a BUG stage (Back Up Gun) so no holster, and only 5 rounds allowed.

Shooter would prepare thier BUG and place it on the table. Shooter would then sit in the chair.

I'd start with a nice friendly chat about how comfy the chair feels after being on my feet all day, slip in a question if the shooter is comfy, pull out a framed photograph of an IDPA target with long blond ribbon hair and say "I found this photo of your daughter - she's pretty cute." Immediate change in tone - "She's screaming behind that door" *BEEP*

Well, once the shooter realized what was happening (and reacton times were all over the place. Some even asked if they should go. Funny as hell) They opened the door. This triggered a spring loaded cart to race directly at the door. The "Daughter" target in front and a knife wielding 'bad guy' in back. In seconds, the 'daugher' reaches the doorway.

Most shooters did get the 'bad guy', but it wasn't ther best shooting, or their best time by a LONG shot. Others, stood there staring at two wel placed rounds in their 'daugher'.

Was a great 'test' and sure opened some eyes.

Chris said:

That was a fun stage. I had a lawn chair hanging off my belt for most of it. I'd have loved to have a video of it so I could see just exactly what I did. I do know that I didn't get a sight picture; I just got the muzzle on target and started firing.

Something I learned from it: if I have someone (Hi Darius) asking me questions immediately after a shot of adrenaline I answer without much consideration. While that's something I expected intellectually it's good to actually experience it.

I never did see any scores posted, though. [wink]

Chris said:

That was a fun stage. I had a lawn chair hanging off my belt for most of it. I'd have loved to have a video of it so I could see just exactly what I did. I do know that I didn't get a sight picture; I just got the muzzle on target and started firing.

Something I learned from it: if I have someone (Hi Darius) asking me questions immediately after a shot of adrenaline I answer without much consideration. While that's something I expected intellectually it's good to actually experience it.

Chris said:

Back
Top Bottom