You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

Hey, can we do 6.5 Creedmoor vs 260 Remington next?

:)
Best I can do is 270WIN

Best I can do is 270WIN
i never understand logic of such articles and how they decide upon comparison points.
most people do not use 120gr on 6.5cm. a typical competition load would be with 140/147gr projectiles.
hunters may go with 168gr, that will have the most punch in up to 300yds, i do not recall those ballistics numbers when it starts dropping below 140gr. may be up to 500yds.

i never understand logic of such articles and how they decide upon comparison points.
most people do not use 120gr on 6.5cm. a typical competition load would be with 140/147gr projectiles.
hunters may go with 168gr, that will have the most punch in up to 300yds, i do not recall those ballistics numbers when it starts dropping below 140gr. may be up to 500yds.
In one of their earlier vs posts, they discuss how they come about this structure. As they're a hunting resource, they'll mostly bias towards COTS loadings suitable for hunting (especially in the American West).
For example, they note that 120 is mostly a varmint round for use on coyote and prarie dogs.

true, they can. one can indeed use 270 on prairie dogs as well.
but i still cannot and will not understand how it can be representative of anything.

175gr is .308.
140gr is 6.5CM
105gr is 6mm
77gr is .223
amen.
With the growth of monolithic copper, you may be forced to consider variances in the not too distant future.

So...not bad for an unethical round.

Load for a new rifle, I skipped the chrono this time. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Dirty brass for the win. But all sub-MOA, so I am happy.

This was 100% me not shooting great.

Shot Marker is awesome. Found some guys at the range using it and they let me take a few shots.

Using a factory stock. This gun needs a chassis.
giphy (30).gif

The circle is 1"

20230731_141057.jpg

For those that must know X is 1 MOA at 600.

Screenshot_20230801_093319_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230801_100852_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230801_101149_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I'm too homophobic to go back through this thread. What gun did you end up with and what stock?

So...not bad for an unethical round.

Load for a new rifle, I skipped the chrono this time. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Dirty brass for the win. But all sub-MOA, so I am happy.

This was 100% me not shooting great.

Shot Marker is awesome. Found some guys at the range using it and they let me take a few shots.

Using a factory stock. This gun needs a chassis.

The circle is 1"

View attachment 780429

For those that must know X is 1 MOA at 600.

View attachment 780425

1 moa at 600yds is 6", if it is a real nra mr1, then its inner x ring should be 3", a half moa, and next one - 10 ring is 1moa. good groups anyway, nothing bad at all.
i presume first and last groups differ by one click of the turret?

1 moa at 600yds is 6", if it is a real nra mr1, then its inner x ring should be 3", a half moa, and next one - 10 ring is 1moa. good groups anyway, nothing bad at all.
X-ring is 6" and 10-ring is 12" on the MR1 target
The F-class 600yd targets are x-3", 10-6".

First and last are 2.5 MOA using 1/4 MOA.

X is 6".

The guy that sold me this rifle gave it to me with a Burris XTRII scope, he didnt want any money for it. I am not a fan of Burris and thought about replacing it, but the scope is pretty good.

X-ring is 6" and 10-ring is 12" on the MR1 target
The F-class 600yd targets are x-3", 10-6".
go figure, i guess you know better. i assumed there was only this one, as nra mr-1fc
so the 'mr-1' is essentially same but rings are twice wider?

The guy that sold me this rifle gave it to me with a Burris XTRII scope, he didnt want any money for it. I am not a fan of Burris and thought about replacing it, but the scope is pretty good.
any scope is as good as groups you can get with it... i used a 4x fixed one for long enough when i was young and did not complain, as it was all i could get. :)
is it a 5-25x50 xtr2?

go figure, i guess you know better. i assumed there was only this one, as nra mr-1fc
so the 'mr-1' is essentially same but rings are twice wider?
The MR1 is the standard 600 yard target for NRA and CMP "Accross the Course" and Mid Range Prone shooting (anything shot prone with a sling, plus AR Tactical).

When F-Class reared its ugly, effeminate head, they had to make a target with smaller ring sizes because 200-20x is too easy with a rest, rear bag, 25x scope, and 6mm bullets. 200-20x is still possible, and done somewhat occassionally, but not frequently.

The MR1 is the standard 600 yard target for NRA and CMP "Accross the Course" and Mid Range Prone shooting (anything shot prone with a sling, plus AR Tactical).

When F-Class reared its ugly, effeminate head, they had to make a target with smaller ring sizes because 200-20x is too easy with a rest, rear bag, 25x scope, and 6mm bullets. 200-20x is still possible, and done somewhat occassionally, but not frequently.
The MR1 is almost too easy with a 4.5X scope, let alone at 25X scope.

If Remington hadn't dissolved, they'd be sitting around kicking themselves over their inability to market the 260 Rem as well as the 6.5CM was.

Of course if Remington was capable of that, perhaps they'd still exist as a coherent company.

If Remington hadn't dissolved, they'd be sitting around kicking themselves over their inability to market the 260 Rem as well as the 6.5CM was.

Of course if Remington was capable of that, perhaps they'd still exist as a coherent company.

260 was behind the times. It wasn’t going to succeed, even with better marketing. It couldn’t handle as long/high BC bullets, which became all the rage for their efficiency.

Barely made it past a minute.

Rumors of 6.5 Manbun's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Yeah, an assortment of specialty hunting cartridges that can’t fit into a gas gun’s magazine aren’t going to sway the 6.5 CM’s popularity much.

Edit: but I still like Ron Spomer. I’d have a beer around a campfire with him.

Last edited:
The 260 handles the same exact bullets as the 6.5 at the same or higher velocity with almost precisely the same powder/power charges. They are just seated into the 260 case a little deeper, the 6.5 case is slightly shorter (it is essentially a 250 Savage Improved case).

To get you started on looking at reloads, here's the Hodgdon data for the 143 gr. Hornady in the 6.5 Creedmoor:

View attachment 715353

And, just for the heck of it, here's the data for the same bullet in the 260 Remington for comparison:

View attachment 715355

It's amazing how much they improved on the ballistics and efficiency of the 260.

I am being wise, of course, but it just amazes me how people talk about how great the 6.5 Creedmoor is and that there is nothing else like it when, in fact, there was/is something like it, EXACTLY like it. I love Hornady but they have really fooled people with the marketing and catchy name on this one.

The 260 handles the same exact bullets as the 6.5 at the same or higher velocity with almost precisely the same powder/power charges. They are just seated into the 260 case a little deeper, the 6.5 case is slightly shorter (it is essentially a 250 Savage Improved case).
These guys explain it ...

Back
Top Bottom