Yet another workbench.

It's time to think about a permanent place do built, clean and tinker with my firearms. Cleaning rifles on a cold, concrete basement floor is not my idea of fun. I decided to built a bench that is a full 30 inches deep and 96 inches wide. The back of it will be peg board so that I have a place to store some tools. It will also have a shelf for additional storage. I used Google Sketchup to design the bench. Hopefully someone will find this handy.

Materials list and cut list:

13 2'x4'x96"
(1 cut 96" repeat 4 times)
(1 cut 55", 1 cut 27" repeat 3 times)
(3 cuts 27" repeat 5 times)
(2 cuts 27" repeat 1 time)

3 4'x4'x96"
(2 cuts 40" repeat 3 times)

1 4'x8'x3/4" plywood
(1 cut 31 1/2"x96", 1 cut 30"x96" - notch out to fit around 4x4 vertical supports)

2 2'x4'x1/4" peg board

24 3/8"x6" lag bolts

48 washers for lag bolts

24 3/8" nuts

24 3/8" lock washers

1 box of 3" deck screws

bench2-L.jpg

bench1-L.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

I'm a tall guy and can appreciate a taller than average work bench but at 40" high, I think you have a work counter there! [smile] Likewsie if you do want to sit at the bench it's nice to have leg room. Ideally when sitting at the bench you should be able to squarely put your feet on the floor. There's a few ways to do this.

Also, not sure if you saw this but an older bench post

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/71833-Work-bench-plans-critique

Last edited:
If you're planning on adding a bench vice and or drill press, make sure you have enough space to work from all different angles when figuring where they'll go. You can always have one end of the bench come out a little more if you plan on mounting something where you'll need a little extra room to work.
My bench is 36" high and its perfect for any work.

Thanks Ray. I find the 40" inches is going to be a bit too high. I'll probably end up lobbing 2 or 3 inches off the bottom of the legs but before I do that I want to look at some work stools.

The bench is complete. I just got to buy some plywood for the top and shelf. I'll post pics later on tonight.

Last edited:
Thanks Ray. I find the 40" inches is going to be a bit too high. I'll probably end up lobbing 2 or 3 inches off the bottom of the legs but before I do that I want to look at some work stools.

The bench is complete. I just got to buy some plywood for the top and shelf. I'll post pics later on tonight.

Cool!

Let me know when you want me to stop by with my drill bits, tap, and Dremel to help you with your Saiga conversion.[wink]

Cool!

Let me know when you want me to stop by with my drill bits, tap, and Dremel to help you with your Saiga conversion.[wink]

LOL. That's why I'm building this thing! I'll have some Sammy Winter Lager in the downstairs fridge... waiting.

Back
Top Bottom