Yet another record

M1911

NES Member
I've been the VP of our club for about 10 years. We're a small club in Metrowest, and for most of that time we'd get one or two new members each month. Some months we'd get none. Three was unusual, but not unknown.

In the past year, applications have doubled. Just about every month we're getting five or six new members. Tonight was the record, though. Nine new members.

Holy cow.

Before the Big "O", Braintree R&P used to take in 30-40 new members/month. Since then 100-120 people have been registering each month with 75-85 actually showing up to join.

I think that most clubs have been seeing increases of 100-200% since the Big Error.

Before the Big "O", Braintree R&P used to take in 30-40 new members/month. Since then 100-120 people have been registering each month with 75-85 actually showing up to join.

I think that most clubs have been seeing increases of 100-200% since the Big Error.
And it isn't letting up, more than a year down the road. If anything, it seems to be accelerating.

good. [smile]

thVan_Damme_Dance_150_2.gif

I too am very happy to hear the increased membership. Keep up the good work with the club.

Can I ask what the total membership is? How do you accommodate those kinds of numbers?

Can I ask what the total membership is? How do you accommodate those kinds of numbers?

I was just thinking the same thing. Holy Cow! With that many new members a month, when do you cut it off because you can't get on the firing line during the weekend? Not that new shooters is a bad thing what so ever!!

Total BR&P membership is ~3400 right now.

Total membership isn't a very relevant number. Each year one of the officers runs off some stats on usage of the club and last year I was told that 500 different members "badged in" (some just to pay dues) and only 250 "badged in" >10x during the year.

I was just thinking the same thing. Holy Cow! With that many new members a month, when do you cut it off because you can't get on the firing line during the weekend? Not that new shooters is a bad thing what so ever!!

When I toured the club I asked the same thing and the answer was that the number of members gives us a ton of money with which to run the club professionally (we don't rely on volunteer labor to get things done).

Even with pistol teams, rifle team, blackpowder, Sam's two-handed slow fire matches, CMP, Second Amendment Sisters, The Ancient & Honorable Artillery, Wentworth College Rifle Team (they've been using BR&P for a few years now), etc., unless there are multiple things happening at the same time, there is always "space" on the range for the shooters who actually use the place.

Here's a typical recent example: I was the RO on duty last Saturday from 10AM to 3PM. There were 15 CMP shooters plus ~6 rifle shooters after CMP was done (about 1PM). The middle pistol range was empty the whole time (20 positions, 25/50 yds) and the 9/15yd pistol range had ~6 shooters on it total. Nobody on the plinking range. Indoors Second Amendment Sisters (from 1-5PM) had use of the "old range", 8 positions and overflowed (some are members) to the new range taking 3 or 4 positions (15 available) plus there were ~4 other shooters on the new range.

Most members are "paper members" who never use the place. Even myself, I only shoot at BR&P 2-3 times/month on average plus another 1-2 times/month at Mansfield F&G.

Total BR&P membership is ~3400 right now.

Total membership isn't a very relevant number. Each year one of the officers runs off some stats on usage of the club and last year I was told that 500 different members "badged in" (some just to pay dues) and only 250 "badged in" >10x during the year.

I don't know how much I'd trust those numbers
I joined in Feb '10, and have been back most weekends, and a few weeknights since.
I always have my badge with me, and wear it visibly, but during the course, nothing was said of "required" badging (at least not that I recall)
So while I've been there at least 10x since Feb, my badge doesn't show up at all.
Badging isn't a foriegn concept to me either (hooray IT!), but if I don't need it to open the door, I don't do it.

I imagine if they locked the door to the clubhouse, or required badging past the gate, you'd get a much higher number.
That said? I like BRP the way it is. Lanes available most of the time indoors, and always avail outdoors.

"Badging in" means that you used your badge to access the gate or clubhouse door. If either is locked open, indeed you won't show up in the computer, but that is usually done only for matches and other events where non-members are expected to show up.

Every time I've ever been to the club the gate has been up, and the doors unlocked.
Like I said, I don't show up, but I've been at least 10x since I've joined.
I don't mind not being tracked, but I certainly wouldn't call the numbers they report the gospel truth.

Every time I've ever been to the club the gate has been up, and the doors unlocked.
Like I said, I don't show up, but I've been at least 10x since I've joined.
I don't mind not being tracked, but I certainly wouldn't call the numbers they report the gospel truth.

There were problems with the gates and thus they were disabled for a while. I understand that they have been fixed (we hope) now.

The numbers aren't 100% accurate, but they give some idea about usage. No tracking system is perfect.

Last Saturday the gate was up for CMP and SAS but late in the afternoon they were down. I was there on Wednesday during the day and the gates were down.

Back
Top Bottom