Thinking of checking out MRA and/or WSC tomorrow, Sun 2/19 LTC not here yet, though

I'm thinking of checking out mass rifle assoc. and possibly woburn sportsmans tomorrow. Both seem to be open to visitors on Sunday, and WSC appears to have an open trap practice available for non-members.

How receptive will these clubs be if I don't have my LTC yet? Waiting 3 weeks so far. When I get my LTC, I'm planning on spending most of my range time on pistol shooting, but these seem to be good all-around clubs close to me.

Thanks for any help!

Was a member at MRA until the first of year. Don't bother. I got in before they started doing the interviews. There's so many rules and you got to qualify for just about everything

Join Harvard. It's worth the drive

Somehow I knew a rec for HSC would be the first post. I've been there and it looks like a great place, and of course, highly recommended by everyone here.

It's really just too far for me (45 min with no traffic). I wouldn't be able to go very often at all. I'm very close to MRA, WSC might be even be a bit far for me, but I haven't driven there yet, so I don't know exactly where it is.

Oh, and maybe adjust your signature, twinbrook86...

The MRA will have you qualify for different ranges and is a bit inconvenient to do so but rules are in place for a reason. It's a small price to pay for having a gun club in the middle of a city with a 200 yrd range. The convince of the club far outweighs those issues. I agree Harvard is an awesome club but a 45 min ride to shoot a bit is too far for me. With 24 hour access to a indoor range that with take anything short of a 50bmg or black powder is a big plus IMO.

Both clubs are fairly close by. WSC is in Bedford MA, not Woburn. It's close to the infamous Burlington Mall.

Both club has it's Pros & Cons. I like WSC rifle range and trap range. I like MRA indoor pistol/rifle range.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

I joined MRA last year and re-upped for this year. I didn't find anything offensive about proving that I could handle a gun safely and hit what I'm aiming at. The "interview" was maybe a 10 minute conversation before giving me my key fob. Even without your LTC you could use the archery range or shoot air rifle. So far I've used the 25 yd indoor range exclusively and more often than not I'm about the only one there. Not shiny new like MFL, but the membership cost less than my one trip to Manchester did. (not that I didn't have a lot of fun and try a bunch of different guns!)

Recently joined Mass rifle and I have no complaints. The qualification process is a bit long, but all the steps seem reasonable and the interview was very friendly.

Can't beat a 24 hour range that allows you to shot anything up to, but not including, 50 BMG.

I'm a member of Woburn Sportsmen, but its WSA not WSC and as mentioned above its in Bedford (almost into Billerica). WSA does have a club gun for trap, but I'm not sure if it is just there for member use. Your best bet is going to be to show up and talk to people. Someone would probably lend you their gun if you pass sniff tests. I'm not a trap shooter, but most of the other members I've run into are friendly. The gun community as a whole is very welcoming to new shooters.

Where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend a club closer that you didn't even know existed.

Everybody had to start somewhere.

There are 12 and 20 gauge shotguns that members can use for trap on Wednesday nights and five stand on Sunday mornings.

If you're safe and friendly it's usually not difficult to start up a conversation with someone in the office or at breakfast on Sundays and you can get some good advice (and sometimes the chance to try someone's guns).

dont mean to hijak your thread but anyone know what the wait time is from sign up until the orientation, i signed up awhile ago but backed out and refunded my money because i needed it at the time. anyone sign up recently?

For which club?

OP, if you haven't gone to WSA for Sunday trap yet, do it. A wonderful bunch of people and all willing and happy to help a new trap shooter. Their informal trap shooting is actually quite organized and if you go enough they will soon have you active. If you haven't shot shotgun clays before it will be obvious, and someone will soon be with you to offer assistance. They have a league shoot in summer and now host ATA shoots. Just show up, join in, hopefully join the club, and meet new friends. And you don't have to keep telling people you dont have a LTC yet. I don't believe I've ever, in 40 years of shooting, heard anyone even ask that question of someone. Especially of a new prospective member/shooter.

+1 for MRA. Office hours are Wednesdays 6pm-8pm & Sundays 9am-12pm, I believe. So far, I've encountered only nice people there. It is a "safe" range so there will be rules but I think it's for the best and safety for everyone. Orientation is probably a bit long. The interview is really just a short conversation (10 questions?) on your gun experience, etc. I don't think being able to demonstrate that you can shoot and handle a gun safely is a bad thing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dont mean to hijak your thread but anyone know what the wait time is from sign up until the orientation, i signed up awhile ago but backed out and refunded my money because i needed it at the time. anyone sign up recently?

Listen to the Ninja. [wink][wink]

The most accurate info is to ask during the office visit. Club office hours posted by
ninja.jpg

Hope to see you @ MRA.

As far as MRA goes, it looked like about a month to 6 weeks between dropping of the application and becoming a member. You have to do an orientation, which involves some classroom time, and range time with different types of firearms. Then have a 10min interview at a later date. At this point, probably make sure you're considered joining after April 1, you pay a little more upfront, but its a year longer until you have to renew.

I visited both clubs a few weeks ago, and Reading Rifle as well. WSA is out for me due to the distance.

And everyplace I go asks if I have LTC or FID. But it is more along the lines of, "if not, you know we have a class for that". No big deal that I'm not licensed yet.

I thought Wed night was trap at MRA? and Sunday morning was sporting clays? Anyway, I shot trap a few times, but 15 years ago. I might try it again. This seems like the way to go if you don't know anyone at these clubs, the shotgun times are open to non-members, and they seem to have club guns to use.

yah, MRA is cool (hey, I go there, so...) I know some of the guys who do the interviews. It's really to make sure you know which end the bullet comes out. [wink] You'd be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom