• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yeah, Great - Now It's Mausers...

I love this place. Prior to NES, I had zero interest in milsurp rifles - I mean zero. Slowly, over time, my dislike of old smelly bolt action rifles began to wear away. People like Ray and Kingson with their goddamn rifles at the shoots...Oh sure, you thought you were coy - handing me ammo and your old dinosaurs. Sure, I shot them, but just to be nice and all - It's not like I really enjoyed it or anything....

Then came the M-44. I bought it just for kicks - something odd to toss in the safe, so of course I bought a 91/30 to go with it....Now, KMM696 sells me an old beat up Czech Mauser. I was supposed to use it as a "project gun" - something I would not be afraid to ruin. I just got done scrubbing it out, cleaning all the metal and the wooden stock. So great - now I don't want to make it a "project gun". I just spent an hour searching for an old box of Nazi marked 8mm - was going to shoot it tomorrow to confirm how much I hate military surplus rifles....

You guys suck - where the hell is my C&R? Need to call the ATF and see what's up....I dig this Mauser...Did I just say that?

[cheers]

yep milsurp guns are cool and once you buy your first you never stop. BTW if you find any old Nazi ammo DON'T SHOOT IT!!! its very collectible and worth some money. Now you need to get your self an enfield, nazi mauser 98 and an SKS.

Just wait till the next shoot when I put a finely crafted Enfield or SKS in your hand. I'll be sure to leave some cosmolene on the stock. That way once it heats up and gets on your hands, the smell with stay with for the ride home and you'll want more.[laugh]

BTW... I noticed you didn't sign up for Mansfield. Its not just surplus guns.

yep milsurp guns are cool and once you buy your first you never stop. BTW if you find any old Nazi ammo DON'T SHOOT IT!!! its very collectible and worth some money. Now you need to get your self an enfield, nazi mauser 98 and an SKS.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...More crappy bolt actions - just looked at an Arisaka with an intact mum...great...I have 20 rounds of that Nazi ammo somewhere. A dealer sold it to me as 7.62x54R...[grin] I tossed it somewhere and was going to just shoot it...So, I should keep it eh?

Just wait till the next shoot when I put a finely crafted Enfield or SKS in your hand. I'll be sure to leave some cosmolene on the stock. That way once it heats up and gets on your hands, the smell with stay with for the ride home and you'll want more.[laugh]

BTW... I noticed you didn't sign up for Mansfield. Its not just surplus guns.

Is there still room?

according to my friend tim there both pretty good. the Romy stuff is lacquered coated but its still good blasting ammo. the yugo is some of the best 8mm out there and it feeds well. BTW the sks isnt bolt action its semi auto[wink]

WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE....

When you get your C&R let us know - so we can send you to all the places online that will gladly take your last dime so you can feed the hunger......

Then you need more safes...

And books to read up on all these old guns...

And bayonets and slings and other accessories....

And dies to reload about 20 different calibers....

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Heh.

I bought my first C&R rifle 10yrs ago...Non Import marked m44...havent stopped since.

Welcome to the club.[wink]

300 rounds of Yugo inbound...[cheers]

Are you sure that's going to be enough? Do you feel dirty for straying away from your M1 and the 7.62x51 round? Misurps are fun, it is interesting to see how each country had there guns built and the diffrences between them. It helps to if you like old things and the history behind them.

Looks like the C&R virus has taken hold of another victim...[wink]...although you usually don't see this bad a case before the license shows up.

I've burned up my share of Yugo - it's good stuff.

Now you need a semi-auto 8mm C&R!!

Well it's good to see I'm not alone in my new-found-NES-caused mil surp interest. I've got an SKS and I'm drooling over the K31s are 98Ks...I've been successfully fighting off the C&R license, but I can tell it's getting closer and closer.

Its only the beginning for you, we've all been there and survived so far, broke but happy. Its going to get worse before it gets better too. I started off with mausers and i figured i wanted every mauser ever manufactured until i heard there are well over 1,000 different mausers. Well i figured why start something i will never finish but i have purchased every mauser i could of ever since. Then i hit the mosins and then the semi auto's too. Trust me you have a long road ahead of you but slow down and enjoy the search as you go too. I start jones'n just at the smell of the cosmoline let alone the sight of them. Its a fun disease to have surplupitis.

Mauser

You want to talk Mausers? Don't get me started. I have six; Commission 88, Gew98, and four 98K's, all listed under the gun gallery in "Military Surplus family photo." Bought two of them last year. I have six boxes of original 8mm Nazi ammo, including MG, yellow and green tracer, and 9mm. I had about 400 rounds in 7.92x57 surplus, mostly Yugo; Shot off 40 today. When you have to put on long underwear to go shoot, you're hooked.

MajSpud

Last edited:
I have a line on some 8mm Mauser milsurp. Either Yugo or Romanian. Should I stay away from either or both of these?

The Yugo depends on the date. 1950's era ammo can be iffy with hard primers and noticeable difference in accuracy. The 1970's Yugo ammo on the other hand is excelent and probably one of the most prefered for carbine length Mauser types including VZ24s, M48s, K98s, etc.

Romanian is best suited for long barreled Mauser type rifles such as Gew98s, Persian 98/29, Turk 03/38 Mausers, etc.

I've had my C&R for about 11 months. So far I've aquired 2 rifles and 3 handguns with it. I've saved at least $30 in parts and accessories ordered using the dealer discount. I don't think this fever is going to subside anytime soon, and I have really gotten to like Ramen noodles. [grin]

Yugo vs Romanian

I prefer the Yugo. The Romanian I've used was from a fresh spam can dating to 1977. I found the bimetal cases did not cycle as well as the all brass Yugo, and the Romanian rounds are shellaced - which turns into this orangy goo that takes an extra effort to clean up. The Yugo I shot today was both from 1953 and 1978, I actually had more trouble with the 1978 where fully 1/3 of them did not go off on the first strike, but always the second. Must have been a bum box. [angry]

MajSpud

Last edited:
I prefer the Yugo. The Romanian I've used was from a fresh spam can dating to 1977. I found the bimetal cases did not cycle as well as the all brass Yugo, and the Romanian rounds are shellaced - which turns into this orangy goo that takes an extra effort to clean up. The Yugo I shot today was both from 1953 and 1978, I actually had more trouble with the 1978 where fully 1/3 of them did not go off on the first strike, but always the second. Must have been a bum box. [angry]

MajSpud

Thats the first time I've ever heard of 70's Yugo being hard primer strike rounds instead of the earlier stuff.

As for the Romanian... are you firing it from a dry chamber or one thats oiled up? I remember seeing you clean your guns at the range and saw them gleaming with oil. Excess oil will lead to higher pressure temps.
All my long barreled Mauser types I shoot Romanian in and my Hakim have dry as a bone chambers/bores and never gum up after shooting many packs of it. I think what you're seeing is the red colored primer/bullet sealer.

The orangy goo also formed on the muzzle crown and blew back and coated the front sight mount; I would wipe it away after every five or 10 rounds. The outside surfaces I treat with a coat of oil before putting them away. Once I have the chamber cleaned, I only treat it with a light coat of Tetra gun cleaner/lube. Either case with Yugo or Romanian, I've found the Yugo generally perform better in cycling and cleaning. Marksmanship is a toss up; hey, I'm still getting used to my bifocals!

MajSpud

Back
Top Bottom