Yea, so this shows up on FB, yikes

I'm actually quite disappointed with the replies to this thread. Do I agree with the man'a post? No. But attacking him and wishing him dead? What a lack of empathy for your common human being who obviously went through something traumatic. You can be empathetic without having to agree or accept his opinions. Granted, the guy obviously knows little or nothing about existing firearm laws. The best way to combat this is with rational arguments, not personal attacks. This is one of the greatest debates of or generation. Let's not let our side be remembered as the ones who argued our case with ad hominem nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a duechnozzle , sniveling liberal, no one cares about his fellings.

Seth is an idiot. The power of the gun lobby is created by 100 million or so Americans who own guns and the fact that they vote, not by the lobbying groups that represent those people.
Further Seth thinks that lax gun laws killed somebody. How stupid are these people? Seriously!!!

Seth NeedlerJune 10Today I endured the nightmare I had feared for the past fourteen years, since I started teaching public school – a school shooting. I guess in some ways I’m lucky, or dodged a bullet, since I was never near the shooter, got home safely and didn’t even know the student who was shot and killed. It was absolutely terrifying to sit in my classroom, on the floor, in the dark, with a group of 40 or so students crammed into the corner against the wall, silently reflecting that all four walls of the room are made of some kind of flexible bulletin-board material (great for hanging posters, but I’m sure any bullet that exists could go through easily), and thinking of my wife and child at home
[[Redacted]]
Not too many years ago, big tobacco was a political third rail, like the NRA is today. But they were brought down by a nationwide effort, endless lawsuits and ultimately the intervention of Congress, spurred by relentless public pressure. People can still smoke cigarettes. They are expensive, everybody knows they’re bad for you, and you can’t smoke wherever you want. Smokers have to stand outside when it’s cold and endure the glares of others when they stand too close to a public doorway or litter their butts on the ground. But no Constitutional rights have been infringed, and the tobacco companies still make huge profits. Isn’t it time to put the NRA in its place? If not now, when?

"Ford, we are twelve; oh, make us one,
Like drops within the Social River;
Oh, make us now together run,
As swiftly as thy shining Flivver."

"Orgy-porgy, Ford and fun,
Kiss the girls and make them One.
Boys at one with girls at peace;
Orgy-porgy gives release."

Sounds like someone needs his Soma.

“I’m not a gun control activist,” he said. “I just think something should be done.”

Typical moonbat response. Even if it doesn't address the problem.

Anyone who tries to establish his bona fides as a gun owner and recreational shooter then goes on to talk about how he was cowering in place unable to defend himself or his charges then goes on to not realize that what he needed was to be able to defend his charges and then insists that the solution is to take away everyone else's ability to defend themselves is a tool and regardless of what he's been through deserves to be derided.

Ladies and Gentleman, we are missing the larger picture here.

Let me be clear. I do not agree with his actions nor his point of view. I do not endorse any of his ranting recommendations. I find it impossible to understand how any man (or woman) could cower in the corner in fear rather than fight back. I did take the time to read the entire post (twice) because to know my adversary is key to ensuring his defeat.

Here is what a lot of you are missing...

This person is a teacher. Has daily interaction with your children and for the most part has more quality time with your kids than you do. He has an unbelievable amount of influence on the development of these children.

It doesn't take much to turn the minds of children. As parents, we are the mean ones, we say NO, we have rules in the house and we (as necessary) hand out punishments. Teachers on the other hand are usually not any of those. While I am not saying that he will outwardly turn your kids against you, he will cast unreasonable doubt, cause misinformed questioning, work to further his beliefs by spreading partial truths. It will not necessarily be done in an overt manner. Little comments designed to evoke classroom discussion. And as we know from experience, he will be well armed with statistics that support his side. He will embarrass any kid that attempts to challenge him with opposing facts. Closed ended questions ("Timmy...do you like seeing your classmates die from guns?") will be the students downfall. Children are not well equipped to deal with this type of reasoning. God help us if they are in Jr. High or even younger.

Don't try to convince me how wonderful a parent you are. That is not the point. I have no doubt you are a great Mom or Dad. My point is that calling him a douche and praying for his death is not the way to handle this and it is not what we should be taking away from his post. Understanding a persons motivation is key to being able to thwart their agenda. Kind of like knowing when the train is coming so you can already be there to meet it ready with you ticket in hand.

We call ourselves Americans because we believe that the Constitution provides us with certain rights. Those right extend to us all. Even those we do not agree with. That is what separates "us" from "them".

The indoctrination must be working. His opinion is almost verbbatim from the anti-gunner's talking points.

I have to say, though, I am mystified by anti-gunners who dismiss out of hand the role that mental health has in school shootings. From my perspective, you completely lose credibility when you explicitly ignore what is known to be a key factor leading to these tragedies.

I'm actually quite disappointed with the replies to this thread. Do I agree with the man'a post? No. But attacking him and wishing him dead? What a lack of empathy for your common human being who obviously went through something traumatic. You can be empathetic without having to agree or accept his opinions. Granted, the guy obviously knows little or nothing about existing firearm laws. The best way to combat this is with rational arguments, not personal attacks. This is one of the greatest debates of or generation. Let's not let our side be remembered as the ones who argued our case with ad hominem nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[laugh2]

I have to say, though, I am mystified by anti-gunners who dismiss out of hand the role that mental health has in school shootings. From my perspective, you completely lose credibility when you explicitly ignore what is known to be a key factor leading to these tragedies.

Discussing mental health is complex and fraught with non-politically correct issues. Saying "Guns bad. NRA evil. Ban both!" is not.

For example, 1.2% of the adult population (3.2 million Americans) have schizophrenia. The rate of violent crime by schizophrenics is only slightly higher than the rate among the general population. Do we strip all schizophrenics of their rights because a few might become violent in the future? What about Asberger's, which has a negative correlation with violent crime (except as the victim)?

It's difficult to "have a conversation" about stripping a sub-population of Americans of their freedom and privacy because a tiny fraction of citizens suffering from mental illness might become violent. For a liberal who has never understood the utility of firearms, it is much easier for him to propose stripping all Americans of a right he doesn't think we needed in the first place.

Let me be clear. I do not agree with his actions nor his point of view. I do not endorse any of his ranting recommendations. I find it impossible to understand how any man (or woman) could cower in the corner in fear rather than fight back. I did take the time to read the entire post (twice) because to know my adversary is key to ensuring his defeat.

This person is a teacher. Has daily interaction with your children and for the most part has more quality time with your kids than you do. He has an unbelievable amount of influence on the development of these children.

It doesn't take much to turn the minds of children. As parents, we are the mean ones, we say NO, we have rules in the house and we (as necessary) hand out punishments. Teachers on the other hand are usually not any of those. While I am not saying that he will outwardly turn your kids against you, he will cast unreasonable doubt, cause misinformed questioning, work to further his beliefs by spreading partial truths. It will not necessarily be done in an overt manner. Little comments designed to evoke classroom discussion. And as we know from experience, he will be well armed with incorrect and/or misleading statistics that support his side. He will embarrass any kid that attempts to challenge him with opposing facts. Closed ended questions ("Timmy...do you like seeing your classmates die from guns?") will be the students downfall. Children are not well equipped to deal with this type of reasoning. God help us if they are in Jr. High or even younger.

Don't try to convince me how wonderful a parent you are. That is not the point. I have no doubt you are a great Mom or Dad. My point is that calling him a douche and praying for his death is not the way to handle this and it is not what we should be taking away from his post. Understanding a persons motivation is key to being able to thwart their agenda. Kind of like knowing when the train is coming so you can already be there to meet it ready with you ticket in hand.

We call ourselves Americans because we believe that the Constitution provides us with certain rights. Those right extend to us all. Even those we do not agree with. That is what separates "us" from "them".

FIFY. Love the incorrect facts about Israeli ammunition laws and, more importantly, how polls show that "90% of Americans are in favor of" gun control. Really? Tell me, who exactly sponsors those polls and who were the people answering them? Too many people read factoids like that and it never occurs to them to ask pertinent details. You could probably find a poll that had 90% of respondents saying that it's ok to take voting rights away from minorities if that poll is sponsored by the klan and taken by people who frequent places where such a poll exists. The lack of deductive reasoning in recent generations amazes and disappoints me.

Because knowing how the other side thinks is half the battle. Consider it another data point

True statement by my estimation. Anyone remember the USS Maine blowing up in Havana in 1898 (I don't remember it I have read about it...I am not that old).

The explosion of that ship was the impetus of the United States declaring war on Spain.

If yellow journalism can rile up enough people to help declare war on another nation, why is it not possible for sensational reporting on gun incidents to increase the likelihood of gun confiscation?

Anti-gun reporting is always waiting for the right moment to exploit an incident that will lead to you losing your weapons...all of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_%28ACR-1%29

Thank you for the post. I will be home schooling.

If yellow journalism can rile up enough people to help declare war on another nation, why is it not possible for sensational reporting on gun incidents to increase the likelihood of gun confiscation?

Anti-gun reporting is always waiting for the right moment to exploit an incident that will lead to you losing your weapons...all of them.

Almost time to get a bow.

Discussing ... is complex and fraught ...

Your whole post makes sense, but this hits the nail on the head. We do not have complex discussions about political issues in the US anymore. If your opinion is too complex to fit into a tweet, no one wants to hear it. Americans by and large, are a lot like Obama. They don't care about the implementation details, they don't want to get involved themselves, and they sure as hell don't want to think about the implications/ramifications of the policies they espouse.

It doesn't take much to turn the minds of children. As parents, we are the mean ones, we say NO, we have rules in the house and we (as necessary) hand out punishments. Teachers on the other hand are usually not any of those. While I am not saying that he will outwardly turn your kids against you, he will cast unreasonable doubt, cause misinformed questioning, work to further his beliefs by spreading partial truths. It will not necessarily be done in an overt manner. Little comments designed to evoke classroom discussion. And as we know from experience, he will be well armed with statistics that support his side. He will embarrass any kid that attempts to challenge him with opposing facts. Closed ended questions ("Timmy...do you like seeing your classmates die from guns?") will be the students downfall. Children are not well equipped to deal with this type of reasoning. God help us if they are in Jr. High or even younger.

If your children believe their teacher's word over yours. You failed to prepare them for the rash of bs they were to encounter. (and I don't mean you personally, you anybody.)

If your children believe their teacher's word over yours. You failed to prepare them for the rash of bs they were to encounter. (and I don't mean you personally, you anybody.)

I was one who told my kids my side of a teachers liberal (almost all are) argument. My wife thought I was nuts but we were young and she didn't realise the extent of "Teacher Indoctrination".

They are just upset that everyone else is not as terrified of their shadow as they are.

They are pushing into the center of the herd hoping they get eaten last...

I am not afraid for my personal safety at any given moment any more than I am fire to explain my extinguisher or cars accidents to explain my seatbelt. I am afraid for my children and country if they lose sight of the unique arrangement in this nation of a people who employ government rather than a sovereign who rules us...

Threats to my personal safety are few and far between. When/if they come again, I will deal with that as needed, but on my list of concerns or "fears" it doesn't rank compared to what "society" has done over and over when power is not kept in check and a ruling class is allowed to use public funds to "hire one half of the poor to kill the other..."

That is what divisive campaign politics are all about. Not about reducing crime, but declaring your political opposition as criminals for their opposition and dehumanizing them so that they can be "legally" abused and removed from the voting roles or the living all together...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom