Yang 2020 running on "gun safety"

Gun Safety - Andrew Yang for President

For the no-clickers

GUN SAFETY
BRIEF

For many Americans, guns are a big part of their culture and identity. However, guns are a major responsibility and thus we need to have common-sense gun safety measures, especially considering that there are already approximately 300 million firearms in the United States. Responsible gun owners should continue to enjoy the right to bear arms, subject to licensing and education requirements that will encourage the public safety.

Most Americans agree on common-sense safety requirements and restrictions on firearms. As President, I will support sensible regulation of guns that allows their continued enjoyment by responsible gun owners in a framework that promotes the overall public safety.

Problems to be Solved

• Most Americans agree that responsible gun-ownership with some restrictions is the proper policy
    • Current gun laws have been pushed in a dangerous direction by lobbying groups only looking out for the profits of gun manufacturers
Goals

• Create a common sense licensing policy, requiring investment and safety precautions
    • Prevent dangerous individuals from owning guns
    • Encourage innovation in firearm personalization and safety
    • Enhance mental health resources available to people who need help
Guiding Principles

• Safety
    • Education
    • Balance of Public Needs with Private Rights

As President, I will…

• Promote a stringent, tiered licensing system for gun ownership (think a CDL vs. a regular driver’s license):
      • All tiers
        • Pass a federal background check, eliminating the gun show loophole.
      • Tier 1 – Basic hunting rifles and handguns
        • Pass a background check
        • Pass a basic hunting/firearm safety class
        • Provide a receipt for an appropriately-sized gun locker, or trigger lock per registered gun.
      • Tier 2 – Semi-automatic rifles
        • Have a Tier 1 license for at least 1 year
        • Be at least 21 years of age
        • Pass an advanced firearm safety class.
      • Tier 3 – Advanced and automatic weaponry
        • Maintain current restrictions and definitions (National Firearms Act of 1934)
        • Ban high-capacity magazines
        • Require submission of fingerprints and DNA to the FBI
        • Submit to a gun locker inspection to ensure it can house the weapons
        • Undergo yearly refresher trainings on the use of these firearms.
      • Anyone with a history of violence, domestic abuse, or violent mental illness would be restricted from receiving a license.
      • Those who currently own any firearms will:
        • Be grandfathered in with their current license, and for the 1-year requirement if they decide to apply for a Tier 2 license
        • Receive a one-time “Good Gun Owner” tax credit for adhering to the additional requirements implemented by the new system
        • Be allowed a tax write-off for the purchase of any equipment required to adhere to the new standards
        • Be allowed to register any currently unregistered firearm without facing any penalties.
      • Individual states will determine their concealed carry/open carry laws, and reciprocity will not be federally enforced. However, a concealed or open carry license in one state would satisfy all licensure requirements in all states.
    • Prohibit the manufacture and sale of bump stocks, suppressors, incendiary/exploding ammunition, and (yes, this is currently legal) grenade launcher attachments.
    • Create federal safety guidelines for gun manufacture and distribution, similar to federal car safety requirements, with strict penalties for the violation of these guidelines.
    • Encourage gun manufacturers to implement designs that prevent interchanging parts that alter the functionality of the firearm.
    • Implement a federal buyback program for anyone who wants to voluntarily give up their firearm.
    • Invest in innovative technology that would make firearms harder to fire for non-owners of the gun, and create a federal, bipartisan panel to determine when technological innovations are advanced and reliable enough to be included in manufacturing safety requirements.
    • As stated here, invest in a more robust mental health infrastructure. This will help to identify and treat people with mental health illnesses that make them prone to violence.
    • Increase funding to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, and drastically increase funding to the US Department of Veterans Affairs Suicide Prevention efforts.
    • Initiate and fund mindfulness programs in schools and correctional facilities, which have been demonstrated to reduce violent behavior.
    • Invest heavily in law enforcement training to de-escalate situations involving firearms.
Shall NOT be infringed!! What part about that is confusing?!?

A guy that wants a complete ban on standard capacity magazines and suppressors is one of the least restrictive - ugh.
It's a race to the bottom.
Kamala Harris is actually proposing going after video games: "violating unfair business practices statutes by marketing assault weapons to children in video games."

Action on Gun Violence in Kamala Harris’ First 100 Days

"This is just part of the gun safety agenda Harris will pursue as president. In addition to enacting universal background checks, renewing the assault weapons ban, and repealing the PLCAA, Harris will fight to make gun trafficking a federal crime, ban high capacity magazines, and prohibit those convicted of a federal hate crime from buying guns."

At this point, I will vote for anyone that promises their first action will be an executive order to ban all politicians or anyone working for the government from saying "common-sense".

I am so tired of listening and reading the words "common-sense".

Gooooo Kamala!!! That'd be a great one. It will get so bad that she'll drop out of the race around Oct 20 or so.

Not Yang, because it'll be the next "Obama-fever" type election. Everyone on the left will be in a circle jerk about "omg I'm voting for the first Asian-American" and other SJWs that think they'll "make a difference". Same with the gay guy. We need them to throw the biggest moonbats in there to scare people away(like granny, she's not liked by a lot of the country to begin with)

MSNBC, CNN, and other liberal outlets have been refusing to acknowledge Yang, despite the fact that he’s polling higher than many of the other clown car candidates. Liberals hate Asians, especially Asian men, so his campaign won’t go anywhere past the primaries. I’ve said it before, the most racist shit I’ve encountered has always been from liberals. It’s hilarious when they call me a chink, then in the same breath claim they’re totally not racist because they voted for Hillary and support Black Lives Matter.

MSNBC, CNN, and other liberal outlets have been refusing to acknowledge Yang, despite the fact that he’s polling higher than many of the other clown car candidates. Liberals hate Asians, especially Asian men, so his campaign won’t go anywhere past the primaries. I’ve said it before, the most racist shit I’ve encountered has always been from liberals. It’s hilarious when they call me a chink, then in the same breath claim they’re totally not racist because they voted for Hillary and support Black Lives Matter.
One of the most racist people I know is a Bernie supporter.
Sadly, a couple of the comments in this thread feed right into the "gun owners are racist" narrative and I think we'd be better off without them. It's the same thing with the anti-Healey signs that focus on her orientation. All that does is harm our cause.

Do any of you except for a few realize how off you are by these racist remarks? Do you also not realize how conservative Asians are in general, save for the extremist Maoist, Communist Chinese?

It would be best to do some research and self searching before posting this drivel about the Asian population in general. I know many Asians very closely who are absolutely libertarian in view and supportive of the most conservarive stance. Most would not own a gun but they support me 100% in my 2A rights. One actually owns more guns than me and funny enough started playing guitar and has not shot in awhile. Check my avatar and you’ll see I roll both ways.

Take with the number of grains desired, but:

Asian Americans in government and politics - Wikipedia

Voting trends and party affiliation
From the 1940s to the 1990s most Asian Americans were anti-communist refugees who had fled mainland China, North Korea or Vietnam, and were strongly anti-Communist. Many had ties to conservative organizations.[46][47] In recent years, more liberal Asian-American groups such as newer Chinese and Indian immigrants have greatly changed the Asian-American political demographics, as well as a larger proportion of younger Asian Americans, many of whom have completed college degrees.[48]

During the 1990s and 2000s, Asian American voting behavior shifted from moderate support for the Republican Party to stronger support for the Democratic Party.[49] In the 1992 presidential election Republican George H. W. Bush received 55% of the Asian-American vote compared to 31% for Democrat Bill Clinton. Asian Americans voted Republican and were the only racial group more conservative than whites in the 1990s, according to surveys.[46] By the 2004 election, Democrat John Kerry won 56% of the Asian American vote, with Chinese and Indian Americans tending to support Kerry, and Vietnamese and Filipino Americans tending to support George Bush.[50] Japanese-Americans leaned towards Kerry, while Korean-Americans leaned towards Bush.[50] Democrat Barack Obama won 62% of the Asian American vote in the 2008 presidential election,[51] with the margin increasing during the 2012 presidential election, where Asian Americans voted to re-elect Obama by 73%.[52] In the 2014 midterm elections, based on exit polls, 50% of Asian Americans voted Republican, while 49% voted Democrat; this swing towards voting for Republicans was a shift from the strong Democratic vote in 2012, and had not reached 50% since 1996.[53] The 2016 National Asian American Survey, conducted before the 2016 presidential election, found that 55% of Asian American registered voters supported Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and only 14% supported Republican candidate Donald Trump.[54]

Despite their growing trend of voting for Democrats in national elections, Asian Americans have tended to identify as independents and have not developed strong ties to political parties as a group.[55] Due to the smaller size of the groups population, in comparison to the population as a whole, it has been difficult to get an adequate sampling to forecast voter outcomes for Asian Americans.[56] In 2008, polls indicated that 35% considered themselves non-partisan, 32% Democrats, 19% independents, and 14% Republicans.[57] The 2012 National Asian American Survey found that 51% considered themselves non-partisan, 33% Democrats, 14% Republicans, and 2% Other;[58][59] Hmong, Indian, and Korean Americans strongly identified as Democrats, and Filipino and Vietnamese Americans most strongly identified as Republicans.[59] In 2013, according to the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Chinese Americans were the least likely Asian American ethnicity to have a party affiliation, with only one third belonging to a party.[60] The 2016 National Asian American Survey found that 41% of Asian Americans identified as non-partisan, 41% as Democrats (a modest increase from 2008 and 2012), and 16% as Republicans.[54]

Neither the Republican nor Democratic parties have financed significant efforts to the registration of Asian Americans, however much more attention has been focused on contributions from Asian Americans,[61] having once been referred to as potential "Republican Jews".[62] As recently as 2006, the outreach efforts of America's two major political parties have been unbalanced, with the Democratic Party devoting more resources in attracting Asian Americans.[63] In 2016, a majority of Asian-Americans possessed the same political views on racial profiling, education, social security, and immigration reform as the Democratic Party; the efforts to attract Asian-Americans has produced a proportionally significant growth in Democratic affiliation by Asian-Americans from 2012 to 2016 by 12 percent.[64] In 2016, Vietnamese and Filipinos were the least likely Asian Americans to support the presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton, with Vietnamese the most likely to back the presidential campaign of Donald Trump.[65] Political affiliation aside, Asian Americans have trended to become more politically active as a whole, with 2008 seeing an increase of voter participation by 4% to a 49% voting rate.[66] In 2017, it was reported by the Washington Post that Asian Americans born outside of the United States trended to be more conservative, and more likely to identify as Republicans, while those who were born in the United States, who were generally younger, were more likely to identify being a Democrat.[67]

Hey Andrew, going after people who break the law instead of going after those who abide by it would be common sense but that would be more difficult wouldn't it.

In that thing from Wikipedia I posted, I couldn't help but notice:
as well as a larger proportion of younger Asian Americans, many of whom have completed college degrees.

Brings to mind:
4326601bae15450cb447438ab02770fa-610xh.jpg

Or as my old man likes to say, "Too much college knowledge!"

Hey Andrew, going after people who break the law instead of going after those who abide by it would be common sense but that would be more difficult wouldn't it.

If you see his track record of "business success" you realize he's not deep on common sense. I've said it before on this thread, but he is convinced he's a genius if people just listened to him. So put him in charge, do what he wants and you'll live in You-Topia (sponsored by Google).

A wise man once told me if I'm leading and no one is following, beating them over the head because I'm right isn't going to get them to follow me. Yang Can't Cook thinks that he can just Fascism his way into a perfect society. But it's a good fascism because he's a good person.

His proposal is pretty long, so perhaps I missed it- which tier would be used by people who have repeatedly been charged with carrying without an LTC to pick up a handgun after leaving court so they can go back to mag-dumping on the street? If his proposal doesn't include that I'm not sure that the district attorneys in MA would support him.

As usual, laws directed at the law abiding won't have much effect on others. He seems like he thinks he's very smart and this is just another "problem" that one of his startups can solve. I've never seen more naive idealism than that entrepreneurship mentality, usually including some facile solution that involves using technology to solve a social problem.

Back
Top Bottom