• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

XM25 to be deployed

these rounds have been in development in cannons for a while now... tank mounted, truck mounted, etc. the ones I've heard of use the twist of the barrel, and spin of the round through the air to calculate distance to target. 1 spin = x meters. so y spins = z meters - all sorts of other stuff when flying through the air... there's a sensor in the round itself that uses the magnetic poles of the earth to determine each full spin. the distance is laser sighted, and the round is pre-programmed before it goes. this was all on the "future weapons" TV show... I haven't heard of one that uses a radio command to detonate the round though... I wonder how long it takes to sight the target, lase the distance, prep the round, get the round off, and detonate the round, since I doubt one can "fire and forget" if the round needs to be sent a unique radio signal from the rifle to detonate at the correct range. not something I'd personally want to be doing in front of a snipers' sights... but I guess we'll see how practical it really is...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom