XM193 Madness

SnakeEye

Banned
The price jumps on ammo is absulutely out of hand!
i just came back from four seasons and got punched in the gut at the register.
210.00$ for 500 rds!!!
i couldnt wait to buy my first ar-15, now im deeply regretting that decision financially.
i paid 170 just 6-8 weeks ago, thats nearly a 25% price increase in a mere few weeks. where is this going? where does it end? 250.00? 320.00?

wow...gladd i got my 1500 rounds when it was only $150 per 500

jesus thats nuts

you shoot xm193 all the time? i have it tucked away for a rainy day...i only shoot the regular AE stuff

It's sickening. Save your brass.... I don't reload .223 yet but I save the brass of anything I shoot.

Ammo prices have doubled on some and tripled on others in the past two years.

Don't expect them to go down either. You have choices, start reloading or use less expensive ammo.

See if Wolf will function in your gun. It might surprise you how well it performs.

I can reload .223 for less than 1/4 the price of new using pulled powder and bullets and once fired Lake City brass.

Side by side comparisons of targets, reloads vs. military greentip M855 yeilds almost identical results, with my reloads actually a little tighter grouped.

The days of inexpensive new ammo and even cheaper .223 surplus are long gone. A reloading press is your best answer if you plan on shooting more than a few rounds per session. Buying bulk components is the way to go. Split the order with some friends and you'll have plenty of good ammo to go around.

It's sickening. Save your brass.... I don't reload .223 yet but I save the brass of anything I shoot.

I even save my corrosive ammo brass that I don't plan on reloading for. Simply because I know one day I'll get off my lazy ass and turn it in at the scrap yard for $$.
Of course then I'll probably go by more ammo.[smile]

There are plenty of relatively inexpensive Eastern Bloc companies making .223, like Wolf. It works well too.

Watch the foreign 223. I prepped five hundred rounds of Privi (sp) for a friend and when I tried priming a few I found that the primer pockets are a shallower depth them normal brass.

I saved all the Korean KA corr. brass, cleaned it out and reloaded it. Very good brass.

the only down side of mil. surp. powder is that it isn't available locally. I get together with some friends and order it is bulk thus avioding the hazmat charge and splitting shipping between three or four people. But even mil. surp. powder has jumped twenty five percent in the last few weeks.

I just ordered some Privi .303 with the express intent of reloading it... hope that isn't a problem across all calibers.

The Malaysian stuff I used a few years back was pretty good, except for the primers were hard and the AUG's plastic firing pin didn't like them.

Too bad he doesn't ship to Mass.

But there are better prices to be had, although probably not as high quality as the XM193s.

I never found Ammoman's prices good enough to do business with him vs. local (Four Seasons). This was back before the AG crushed Ammoman's nuts. His "free shipping" is a gimmick . . . it's built into the price and perhaps makes it cheap to CA, but to MA it was just about a wash vs. Carl's sales back when ammo was plentiful.

so if i bite the bullet and buy reloading equipment, how much less would i really be looking at?
more or less than half?
ive got 2k rnds of brass already..

For the most part I've found I can reload for about half the cost of commercial ammo. I use plated bullets which are a little more than lead. If you value your time a bunch the labor required might negate some of the savings.. it's fun.. but not that fun.

Reloading is the only way to go. My reloading equipment, much of which is 30 or more years old, has paid for itself hundreds of times over and continues to serve me well.

I'm loading .44 mag, .45 Colt and .41 mag for about 1/4 the cost of factory ammo, at current component prices.
Of course, I'm using up some primers and bullets that I stockpiled years ago, so the actual cost is a lot less. the primers were free, the bullets were $20/m and the powder was $16/lb. My actual cost was $2.75/50rds. That compares favorably to the ~$30/50rds that factory ammo in these calibers sells for today.

I have enough stuff laying around the house to keep me shooting some of the big bores for the rest of the year. Prolly time to find some way to get some surplus powder for future reference.

The OP is in Massachusetts. As is well-known on this board, Ammoman will not ship to Massachusetts.

What was your point in posting an unavailable source?

Last edited:
The OP is in Massachusetts. As is well-known on this board, Ammoman will not ship to Massachusetts.

Not everyone on this forum has the unfortunate pleasure of living in MA, besides which... there are alternative means for MA residents to purchase bulk quantities of ammo from Ammoman. [wink]

Eric (Ammoman), used to knock-off a percentage of the price for people willing to drive to his location and pick-up the ammo in person.

What was your point in posting an unavailable source?

Do you really have to ask?

LOL,nice one Login..You had me for about 5 seconds,my phone was in my hand calling a friend in NH...

I remember when I was buying that stuff from him at those prices as well.

I almost didn't drop a hint to check the website date, but that would have been too cruel. [smile]

The ammo prices nowadays are obscene. I know hindsight is 20/20, but back when the prices really were that low, I used to wonder about people who would
stock-up and order a dozen or more cases at a time. Now, I wished I had listened to them. [sad]

I remember when I could fill my gas tank for less than $ 10, but I don't clutter the board with links to obsolete sites with those prices.

The price jumps on ammo is absulutely out of hand!
i just came back from four seasons and got punched in the gut at the register.
210.00$ for 500 rds!!!
i couldnt wait to buy my first ar-15, now im deeply regretting that decision financially.
i paid 170 just 6-8 weeks ago, thats nearly a 25% price increase in a mere few weeks. where is this going? where does it end? 250.00? 320.00?

No big deal, just buy a .22LR upper receiver instead. You don't have to through the baby out with the bath water thought.

I remember when I could fill my gas tank for less than $ 10, but I don't clutter the board with links to obsolete sites with those prices.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you drive in order too qualify for the 'less than $10.00 to fill your tank' rule to apply, but if you hurry on down to
Pace Gas Station
in Billerica, regular unleaded is only $1.25 per gallon.

(Please don't shoot the messenger... I'm only passing along this info as an NES service) [smile] .

Back
Top Bottom