unusually *hot* XM193? anyone else?

LC 08 headstamps, military crimp intact, 55grain ball. your standard surplus/overrun XM193.

went to put a few rounds through it the other night (testing out the new Geiselle trigger), popped off 6 rounds, and the 7th went click. ok, odd, ive never had a misfire with factory rifle ammo.

it wasnt a misfire. really, REALLY odd jam (brass never extracted, next round fed into it, half crushed/bent the LIVE round, and stopped the bolt.

managed to get the bolt open, got the junked round out (right into a locked dud bucket), and pulled the round that never extracted out.

all of sudden, i cant get the bolt forward. ok, now im a little worried, this is my highpower / DCM rifle, with a brand new $285 trigger. tried again, still nothing. made it safe and took it out to the table and proceeded to fieldstrip it. i heard a clink, but couldnt find anything missing. then i thought, "wait a minute, i never checked that round that didnt extract"...luckily had it in my left front pocket.

the freakin primer was missing! like, literally disintigrated! the military crimp was STILL intact. upon closer inspection, i found little shards of primer all over the lower (completely pulled the lower apart, checked everything, then reassembled).

that scared the crap out of me. i checked the other 6 rounds i'd fired. NO signs of pressure, no signs of case failure, nothing!

anyone else had any similiar issues? i tend to buy GOOD ammo only for this rifle when i do shoot factory stuff, so this surprised me a bit.

Does your service rifle upper have a 5.56 chamber? I know that some have .223 chambers.

Steve

Please post brand and lot number, otherwise the info is pretty much useless.

unfortunately, this was the last 10 rounds on a stripper clip out of that particular box. trash went out thursday, and that box went with it. only numbering anywhere on it was on the GG&G stripped clips.

Where did you get this stuff????

Sounds almost like a "PROOF" round got mixed in with the batch. Dangerous!

Riley's in hooksett. they had 30round boxes of XM193 (3x 10rnd stripper clips), basic brown boxes, no discernible numbers that i can remember? got em EARLY spring this year.

no idea exactly what happened. found more primer shrapnel when i disassembled the bolt carrier group tonight.

proof round? never heard the term before.

Steve: yes it's marked 5.56.

ive fired several thousand of the same ammo. ive never seen any sort of malfunction out of XM193 ever actualy...

id say it was a fluke

Feces occurs, but rarely with XM193. It should be hot, as XM193 is loaded to proper 5.56 pressures. My rifle devours it. Initially, I was going to say a production error from cranking out Obamamania ammo, but with the 08 headstamp, I'd say it would only be a slight possibility. One of the reloaders will chime in, but I think it's unlikely to load a 5.56/.223 round too hot. I'd almost bet, that the primer was improperly seated and/or the round did not properly chamber...I remember a run of the most excellent, (I like it even better than 193), Privi 62gr 5.56 had a short run of blown primers and it was found that the machine that seats the primers in that run of ammo was having intermittent problems seating primers. I only know this, because I exchanged E-mails with a rep at Privi...The problem has been cleared up and Privi in my opinion remains a premier 5.56 round. There are so many factors that can go into a failing round - from a bad primer, improperly seated primer, out of spec case, bullet seating, etc, that unless you have multiple failures in the same batch, tracking down a cause may be just speculation. There are also rifle issues that could be at play, (dirty chamber, improperly cut chamber, bolt drag, etc), but in this case it seems anyway, an unlikely cause...

To continue this... Has anyone had wildly inconsistant results with current XM193? (Not the old loose pack stuff that's talked about on ar15, but the new stuff that's in 20rd black boxes w/ an eagle on the front.)

I've picked up ~200 rounds or so from Kittery over the past two months - all the same lot # etc. Shooting them for the first time this weekend, I was ending up with 4 or 5 rounds in a 20rd mag shooting giant fireball. With my DPMS (w/ brake) the flame was maybe 8" out of the ports. With my friend's gun w/o a break, he was shooting 1'-2' long fireballs.

Didn't have the presence of mind to clean up the ground so as to figure out which cases were from those rounds, but I'm going to dig through the brass bin when I get home to see if there's any noticeable difference between the spent casings.

Anyone else seeing this? Should I stop shooting the stuff and contact Federal, or if the brass looks fine just take it easy and watch for any problems?

Back
Top Bottom