x3 magnified scope good for CQB?

mtsfitness

NES Member
New to the optic/scope scene and I'm interested in the Burris AR332 x3 magnified scope... Ive heard great things about the scope but i'm wondering how these types of magnified scopes work in short range distances, approx. 10-40 yards? The scope appears to be very large and it does not seem to be able to cowitness the iron sights through the scope. The scope does have a black, etched retinal that can be used when the optic is off.

Any thoughts or opinions about this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

3x is about the point where you will loose any view of the front sight it will just be out of focus. You would need to mount it and see. My 4x12 on my carbine the front sight is,not vissable at all set on 4x
,,personally if I was building a defense gun I would not care about co witness of the sights.

I would instead have a quick detach sight base and just ditch it and flip up the BUIS? You have a ectched reticle on that so a complete failure of the optic would require removal anyway.
I have several old school 4x scopes on my 22s and picking up close targets is not to difficult and they are old,school little tube/objective scopes.

3x is about the point where you will loose any view of the front sight it will just be out of focus. You would need to mount it and see. My 4x12 on my carbine the front sight is,not vissable at all set on 4x
,,personally if I was building a defense gun I would not care about co witness of the sights.

I would instead have a quick detach sight base and just ditch it and flip up the BUIS? You have a ectched reticle on that so a complete failure of the optic would require removal anyway.
I have several old school 4x scopes on my 22s and picking up close targets is not to difficult and they are old,school little tube/objective scopes.

I have a 4x12x32 and focus is pretty good down to about 15'

For the distance you mentioned I would suggest a red-dot. You might also consder scope and canted iron sights combination.

Last edited:
New to the optic/scope scene and I'm interested in the Burris AR332 x3 magnified scope... Ive heard great things about the scope but i'm wondering how these types of magnified scopes work in short range distances, approx. 10-40 yards? The scope appears to be very large and it does not seem to be able to cowitness the iron sights through the scope. The scope does have a black, etched retinal that can be used when the optic is off. Any thoughts or opinions about this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

How would it work for CQB? It wouldn't.

Get a red dot or a 1x4 scope. If you have a lot of money, get a 1x6 scope. Or consider canted iron sights.

I thought 3x scopes were what the military used before red-dots and holographic sights came around?

Seems made obsolete by red-dots and 1-4 or 1-6x scopes.

3x is a no go for CQB, get a red dot, even the 1-4 / 1-6 are slower and still have more parallax than a red dot, plus you don't have to worry about BS eye-relief.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of variables for either, and pros and cons, training etc...but as far as CQB goes a red dot will be my top choice.

Last edited:
A scope should only have enough power to eliminate significant sighting errors. Higher power = smaller field of view. Unless you are hunting mice I can't see a need for any magnification below 25 yards.

Millett 1-4x DMS is what I use. Red dot with 1-4x magnification. At 1x, you keep both eyes open, just like an EOTech. At 4x, you reach out and touch Bambi!

Here.

reticle_brc1.jpg

prod_DesignatedMarksmanScope.jpg

I like that Millet DMS , I always wondered about it. It seems really nice for the price. You cant go wrong with the Eotech with the Flip to side Magnifier.

I like that Millet DMS , I always wondered about it. It seems really nice for the price. You cant go wrong with the Eotech with the Flip to side Magnifier.

I have this on one of my other rifles. I bought the Millett first because of the cost savings, then I went for the EOTech + 3x flip magnifier. I bought the Vortex 3x, again for savings, but the quality was there.

A red dot is going to be plenty fast enough from 200 and in, and will have a pretty solid advantage from 10-40. IMO.

Please define CQB though... because if it's defined as just shooting paper targets on a flat range, you'll fine with whatever you decide to do.

A red dot is going to be plenty fast enough from 200 and in, and will have a pretty solid advantage from 10-40. IMO.

Please define CQB though... because if it's defined as just shooting paper targets on a flat range, you'll fine with whatever you decide to do.
At my range paper targets are vicious.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Red dot or a good 1-4 would be my vote.
+1 . At that range a red dot is optimal.

I have a 1.5x ACOG which is great as well but no co-witness when you have any magnification.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice, but 18.4 oz?

My next AR will be a carbine "cqb-type" gun, where weight will be a consideration. Who makes a lighter one of these?

Scopes are heavy.

If you are planning to do battle in close quarters with a rifle, get a red dot. If you train with it, you also be able to do battle with said rifle at rifle distances. It's a tactical win-win in all battle quarters.

Mk18Mod0_01.jpg

What range do you define "CQB" as? Can you shoot both eyes open with a magnified optic while moving? ( I can't )

For me the answer is anything inside 200 ish is a red dot. But, I'm not the authority or expert on anything

Back
Top Bottom