• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII rifle display idea

I'm talking to someone from my school about a type 99 Arisaka, they are asking 250, intact mum. I am waiting on some pictures. He said there is a burn mark on the stock (presumably from battle, but I know, buy the rifle not the story) but the gun is structurally fine, supposedly. If I end up taking a look at it, what should I be looking for. Also, what is a fair price, from what I have seen that seems to be on target.

Mike

I've spent more on an arisaka than that, but it came with all the extras like bayo and sling. Hard to tell without pictures tho, I'm sure the more seasoned collectors could give you more incite than I. Im curious how that case is going? Any progress?

That sounds like a really cool idea, and I hate to be that guy, but I would be a bit concerned about the MA storage law if I was you. Depending on who you ask, a glass display case may or not meet the statutory requirement. In this state, I'd err on the side of caution.........[sad2]

Well you are that guy[wink].

Purchase some extra bolts, weld them so they wont function, now the rifle cant be fired. When you want to go out and shoot them break out the bolts that are locked in a safe with 10 pad locks, a laser alarm system and pressure plates in the floor and of course motion sensors. It the rifles are stored in a case with lexan and have a locking door and even a trigger lock you may be OK.

Your other option is to contact our very own resident expert here on NES that can advise you on what is legal and what not to do when it comes to ............well everything. [bow]

When my gun room alarm goes off and I am home these are the steps I take:

1. Wake up grab my 1911 and my sure fire flash light. I check the camera to see what is going on, when the alarm trips halogen lights come on and the room looks like a night game at Gillette stadium.

2. I carefully enter the area outside the room, looking to see if the door is a jar

3. If the door isn't a jar I open it slowly, very slowly, then throw in a flash bang ........had ya there didn't I.

What I really do: check the cameras first, check the door and open it slowly, there are monitors outside the door as well so I can see if anyone is in the room. If the door was open I would lock it, call 911 and laugh my ass off as the local LEO drag the scum bags off to the big house.

Last edited:
With careful shopping and if you are not concerned about pristine condition, the following longarms can be found for under $200 apiece: Japan - Arisaka; France - MAS36. German - Styre M95, Russian -Nagant; Britian - Enfield.
To help you in your quest, keep a pair of $100 bills in your wallet, and be firm about $200 "out the door". A C&R license is even more helpful because then out can purchase in any state without paperwork, which can work for you in your price negotiation.

Also when you only pay $200 you can go to town with refinishing the wood and a little #4 steel wool and cold bluing touch up on the metal. With a little luck you can have a nice looking collection of all major countries for under $1000.

There are many replicas or original Demilled rifles being sold by a number of gun distributors. don't even need a C&R. They are also significantly less than a working model. I don't remember all the types. This reduces cost and gets away from the security concerns. just a thought. unfortunately , these are not the old days when my dad's rifle rack with 5 guns hung in the living room. (Dad actually had all guns stolen from the rifle rack in the late 70s in rural Northbrookfield of all places.)

I know there is a P-38 pistol on gunbroker (and has been for a while) that is a replica for ~$100-$150. It catches me everytime i am in there shopping. "oh not that dummy again"

>>>>>and yes Fred, you caught me with the Flash bang too......When can i see this vault?? do you charge admission? [smile]

How about service rifles issued Marines over the years?

1903 Springfield
1917 Enfield
1941 Johnson
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
M14
M16A1
M16A2
M4

Back
Top Bottom