• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII rifle display idea

Hey all, fortunately Im finding myself with a lot of time to ponder things lately. Anyway, one of the projects I wanted to do with my fiance when we get home is to make a 4 long gun cabinet to hang on the wall. I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to do for the cabinet, but my question here is about what to stock it with. Whenever I start building it I will probably post up the project in the BIY section.

I wanted to display some prominent WWII firearms as I have an interest and respect for the period, and I think it would make an interesting talking piece as well as be a nice thing to look at.

I already have a 1950s Garand and I decided I don't like only taking it out of the safe to shoot. I understand it is not authentic WWII, but it would look beautiful displayed, and is similar enough for my purposes. I was planning on purchasing a Nagant, Arisaka, and Mauser for the display as well as I understand these to be the most significant battle rifles of the war. If Im mistaken please correct me. I know many other rifles saw a lot of use, but I always viewed these as the key players.

What I was hoping to get from you guys was some guidance on what models to be looking for and what to expect to pay. I am not a serious collector in the sense im looking for high value items with all matching numbers. I would be thrilled with a weapon that is authentic to what was used in the war by the same manufacturer that may have lost value due to something like being refinished. Basically "close enough" looks good and shoots descent works for me. These will be shot, but I also want them to look good in the display. If its actual WWII used even better, but thats not a requirement. Thanks for any help/guidance. I can take criticism so feel free to dish it out if you think my idea sucks.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

sounds neat and would look great...

if you get a 91/30 mosin-nagant, you'll of course need the bayonet...
that rifle is longer than 4'

65 inches or so with the bayo attached...

You could also add pistols to mix such as 1911 and a whole host of others p-38, p-35 radom, luger

Of course you'll need a M1 carbine, 1903a3

That sounds like a really cool idea, and I hate to be that guy, but I would be a bit concerned about the MA storage law if I was you. Depending on who you ask, a glass display case may or not meet the statutory requirement. In this state, I'd err on the side of caution.........[sad2]

Get some dummy/de-milled rifles and make a display from them. At least that way you can display them so people can see without risking security.

Also sorry to be that guy but the idea of displaying actual firearms where everyone can see them is a bad idea unless they're encased in a showcase thats strong enough to keep the hands of thieves off them.

Last edited:
With regard to the strength of the case i was basically planning to buy some better trigger locks and weld them to some rod stock and in turn to a piece of flat stock behind the case which gets attached to a stud. The forward mount the rifles sot on would be the trigger lock itself which is secured directly to a stud.

None of the rifles I was planning on displaying did I think would be particularly expensive, and they would of course move to the safe if I was going to be gone for any significant ammount of time.

For the time being I wanted a 4-5 rifle case with the predominately used model from some of the major involved countries, hence why the M1 carbine wasnt on my original list.

Re the bayonets, Im still undecided there because I don't know how big I'll want to make the case.

My thoughts were that the M1 was the expensive part and doing some quick googling it seemed like it wouldn't cost too much to flush out the case. Displaying these few firearms would be worth the risk to me. You can't always keep everything of any value locked up in a safe. They would be more secure than most peoples TVs and computers, nice crystal, etc.

Mike

It wouldn't be on the wall, but I seem to remember a posting a while back where someone from another board built a coffee table out of a Nagant crate using a glass top that looked beautiful with the rifles displayed inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could anyone throw me some ball park price points on the other rifles I mentioned. I would also be interested in the 1917. From the little research Ive been able to do Ive been seeing 100 for the nagant, and 250-450 for the other rifles. Apparently the chrysanthemum marking on the Arisaka is a must.

Mike

yup, over 6m made in less than 3 years...the most prolific rifle of the time...perhaps all time...at least in the US...perhaps in the world.

And I've only got one of them, I should have bought a couple more when they were available.

:-(

At least it's a genuine CMP one :)

Not in WW2, thats what he asked about

The M1 carbine was more widely used than the Garand.

Last edited:
I will be killed for this, but ... what about encasing the rifle in solid block of acrylics? That would be really expensive. For display-parts, you may want to duplicate chris-mark instead of buying entire rifle. There are plenty of parts, which would be cheaper to buy than entire functioning rifles. I'd add iconic German schmeisser. What about just focusing on one side of conflict, like US made arms only?

Awesome idea. I could see the collection grownig through the years.

It would be awesome if you could do rifles and pistols. You might also think about other items like ribbons, medals and insignia.

Your gonna need a bigger case. Maybe a whole room

I bought a Thompson M1A1 parts kit and a dummy receiver and made a wall hanger. I know, I know, it's not the same as the real deal but full auto sub guns aren't cheap. When people are over for poker, etc. and after a few beers just for shts and giggles I say, "let me show you my gun" and retrieve it from the other room and watch the room clear. Good way to end a game and empty the house. Nah, just joking--that only happened once.

Last edited:
As much as I like guns Im not trying to make my entire house into a museum. So for now it will just be 4-5 rifles lol. I also have a fiance who I can only get to go along with so much. Basically, shes a reasonable person. I am hoping I can do this in a clean/classy enough way that I can get away with having it in the living room. Also, budget wise pistols will take a lot longer to aquire.

Mike

Last edited:
I also have a fiance who I can only get to go along with so much. Basically, shes a reasonable person. I am hoping I can do this in a clean/classy enough way that I can get away with having it in the living room.

You'd be surprised at what you can women to agree with when it comes to showing of a hobby. I never thought my wife would agree to having film swords in the living room and it all started from a full scale Conan Atlantean reproduction in a wooden case with lexan glass cover that I made for the sword.

Atlantean.jpg

Oh shell go along with a lot. She is all about this idea and wants the cabinet to be a project we do together. At the same time I don't want to over do it either. I already am planning on having a lift in my garage, entertainment room, workshop, etc. I need to take baby steps. Once we own an actual house with the amount of space I want Ill start adding more, but until we finish school we are talking an apartment, maybe a nice duplex, so a few guns to add to the character of our space is about all Im gunning for.

Mike

Definitely a cool project. I have to agree though that it might be a better idea to use dummy guns. I've got a small collection of dummy guns that I want to display in some way whenever the day comes that I can have a "man fort":

Swiss STGw57
Austrian MP34
Russian PPS43
British Sterling
Yugo M56
Suomi
Lanchester SMG
VZ58
Franchi LF57

Yeah yeah I know, I have to fit something US-made in there. I'll probably buy either a replica Thompson or build one from a parts kit and dummy receiver. I had thought of building a case to put dummy guns in but once the collection of them got that big, I decided I'll probably just wall-hang all of them. No need to worry about storage laws/ trigger locks. And if they were stolen, well that would suck but at least they aren't operable firearms.

Your idea with the trigger locks with welded stud/rod is a good one. Certainly use a thick plexan instead of glass for the case if you're going with operable firearms.

I like the idea of Garand/ Enfield/ Arisaka/ K98. The carbine would certainly fit in just as well as the Garand but it just might make the line up look odd due to it's shortness.

Whatever unfolds with your project, post pics of progress!!!

Whenever this thing gets underway I'll be sure to post the progress. I am still in the research phase, to be followed by the collection, design, and construction phases. I have no issue displaying the real guns.

Mike

There is only one thing that may be an issue when you embark on a project like this. You start to buy lets say a Mauser, then you want one from each factory, the Mosin may seem simple but then you have a 91/30, 91/38 and a 38. Then you need a Finn marked one. What then happens is you get the "I need this model with this type of stock as in the 1903, 1903A3. As to the display you may wind up doing what I did. A room with no windows , a steel door and a separate alarm system with a video feed camera system . They are then mounted on the walls, then you need a bigger room....well you get the point. Its a great idea. If you need any help on the purchase of a Mosin I will get you an all matching for my cost. Which can be as low as $70 plus shipping!!!!!!
Welcome to AA of firearms collecting. Meetings are held at every gun show.

Thanks guys. Ill be sure to ask for more help before I start shopping. Ill likely get one of each before looking for duplicates of models. Fortunately there are many different things I want... so this should keep me busy until I die.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom