Would you consider paying $800 for a custom built AR15 upper a good deal?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've been working with Jon at Anvil Arms to build me a custom upper using the NES group buy upper receiver I'm buying. The final price quote will come with the following:

NES Group Buy Upper
M4 14.5" bbl
YHM 5000 Forearm
YHM Gas Block and Flip up front sight
YHM Rear Flip up sight
GG&G Sling mount
Permanently attached muzzle break (Type to be determined)
Bolt, Carrier and Charging Handle
Misc small parts and springs.

Basically when done it will look like the upper on this rifle:

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/product291.html

I really like the way this looks, but I am seeing prices for similiar uppers for less money. Could be the vendor, and their reputation, which dictates the lower price. Then again, I've never owned anything from Anvil Arms before. Granted they do have a very good reputation from what I'm reading.

Would you think that upper is worth $800 or would you take your upper and go somewhere else to get it built? If so, where?

I think you can probably find it cheaper, especially if you are willing to put it together yourself. I'm sure many people here are going to be having build parties....

I think I paid 400-500 for my upper.

So, unless it's an absolute awesome barrel....

EDIT: wait, but that didn't include the BUIS...which were 200 from Troy.

Last edited:
you can build a much better upper for that price. Who make the barrel? the BCG?
What about spec'ing the parts yourself and having someone local build it?

I did the math quickly and in my head, (which is never a good thing) and came up with $400.00 worth of YHM accessories on your upper. When all is said and done, you're getting a custom made M4 upper with feed ramps built by someone who knows what he's doing for $400.00. Add on accessories, (if I figured correctly) + labor and you've got a pretty good deal. I have my own ideas on accessories to add, (or not to), but this is after all yours and I think for the amount of goodies you're adding on, it's fairly square. If you price a complete stock M4 upper from anywhere else and then start tacking on the goodies, I think you'll be about in line...

If you have a Dealer account with MidwayUSA, they have a variety of complete DPMS uppers that can be bought for around $400

I did the math quickly and in my head, (which is never a good thing) and came up with $400.00 worth of YHM accessories on your upper. When all is said and done, you're getting a custom made M4 upper with feed ramps built by someone who knows what he's doing for $400.00. Add on accessories, (if I figured correctly) + labor and you've got a pretty good deal. I have my own ideas on accessories to add, (or not to), but this is after all yours and I think for the amount of goodies you're adding on, it's fairly square. If you price a complete stock M4 upper from anywhere else and then start tacking on the goodies, I think you'll be about in line...

$400 to assemble an AR is a good deal?[rolleyes]

Put it this way, my upper from Anvil shipped is $546.53 That's for a complete M4 upper, (handguards, FSB,BCG) shipped to my door. If I were to add on Troy MRF-DI alone, my cost would raise to $686.53. Add on flip up fronts and a low profile gas block, and it comes up to $826.53...See?

Supermoto said:
$400 to assemble an AR is a good deal?

Where the hell did I say that? He's tacking on $400.00 worth of accessories to a $400.00 upper - that tends to equal $800.00 [thinking]

Last edited:
Always remember you get what you pay for. If you put good quality components in your AR, your AR will function nicely and go *BANG* everytime you pull your trigger. Expensive doesn't always mean better, but from what I have been researching that what I plan for my AR something like DPMS would NOT be suitable for my needs since I plan on using it as a SHTF type of gun.

Always remember you get what you pay for. If you put good quality components in your AR, your AR will function nicely and go *BANG* everytime you pull your trigger. Expensive doesn't always mean better, but from what I have been researching that what I plan for my AR something like DPMS would NOT be suitable for my needs since I plan on using it as a SHTF type of gun.

Exactly...I'm not inviting myself or anything, but I would make a special trip down there just to shoot your Noveske with the can, can...[smile]...I'll bring ammo...[wink]

Some rough prices:

NES Group Buy Upper $100
M4 14.5" bbl $240
YHM 5000 Forearm $110
YHM Gas Block and Flip up front sight $90
YHM Rear Flip up sight $90
GG&G Sling mount $25
Permanently attached muzzle break (Type to be determined) $40
Bolt, Carrier and Charging Handle $100
Misc small parts and springs.

Seems like almost $800 just in parts to me.

Just get the standard upper and put quality stuff on it when you get the cash saved.As far as YHM,I like the flash hiders,but that's about it.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'm not adding anything except a standard sling and a Troy BUIS to mine right away. I've been kicking around a Troy MRF-DI and some doo-dads, but I'm keeping this clean and going from there....

Seems like almost $800 just in parts to me.

I agree, I did a quick run on the numbers & came out about $875, without the brake. These parts add up fast especially when using good parts. You're also getting it assembled by someone with experience.

This is not an extravagant price for a custom upper. Yes you can purchase readymade uppers for a lot less, however take note at what you are getting. A custom made upper or lower is just that "custom built". You can also spec the upper or lower the way you want it. It takes skill and knowledge to do a custom build the right way. Yes anyone can through together parts; however this doesn’t make it a custom. You pay for what you get and AR parts are expensive.
Check out some custom built uppers and lowers at www.jdlsales.net.
Just remember you asked the builder, you must of had a reason, it is not cheap to have custom work done. If you were looking for a bargain you should have just purchased an off the rack upper and not wasted the custom builder's time. Spend the extra money it will be worth it in the long run

+1.... anyone can get off on the cheap, if they -want- to, but they might not get the features and quality they're looking for. This is why "value" is subjective. If the only qualifier is for bullets to come out of the end of the barrel, then $800 is "overpriced...." add any other function(s) and the value proposition starts to change somewhat. I'm guessing that if RockRivr1 wanted to go on the cheap, he would have bought an olympic arms junker and been done with it. They usually do fire and cycle, well, most of
the time. [laugh]

-Mike

Thanks for all the great advise. I'm definitely not looking for something off the rack for short money. I've talked with Jon and he gave me his quote. I've seen some uppers for more, some for less and a bunch for a lot less. Just was trying to get the feel of what people though in regards to value. A couple of you brought up stuff I wasn't taking into the equation.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and have Jon build it up as quoted. Get it done right the first time as most of you guys indicated. That way I know I'm getting a quality shooter.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom