Worker Falls 500' To His Death From Newton Radio Tower

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Too bad it wasn't 25'. Would have been a lot quicker. RIP

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

drgrant:2067161 said:
Talk about a s**ty way to die. [sad2] RIP.

-Mike

Are you kidding? That's an awesome way to go out. If you gotta go anyway, why not fall from 500'? The only way it could be more awesome is if he were drinking jack daniels from the bottle and banging 2 strippers on the way down.

wow, my stomach was jumping on that vid. I did line work in my early 20's basic climb telephone poles etc, 40ft max....

Hi Joe, didn't expect to see you posting in this section, you get your ticket and not tell anyone ?

Speaking of towers (here's where I hijack my own thread), that new MWRA wind turbine that sprouted up on 99 in Charlestown is pretty impressive, you have anything to do with that?

This was on the Channel 5 news tonight. I guess he was half way up. The tower is 1000' tall. Just some guy trying to earn a paycheck. I feel bad for those close to him.

I know Kurt (448.000), I passed this info along to some others on the local UHF machine.
I tried to post it to GEMOTO but the site crashed ?????
Are you wearing your Trilby ? [wink]

RIP

and that video is amazing. If that's how you earn your paycheck I owe you a beer.

No, I don't climb, at least not in the last ten years. I used to but that was a long time ago. I'm a "ground man" and run the winch and rope head and shoot the lines form the ground. Sometimes I'll have beacons sent down to repair and then send them back up or I'll need to cut and thread some pipe he may need but I now keep my feet on the ground. I do my best not to pull the tower over while he's on it. It's a long story, ask me in person sometime.

Hi Joe, didn't expect to see you posting in this section, you get your ticket and not tell anyone ?

Speaking of towers (here's where I hijack my own thread), that new MWRA wind turbine that sprouted up on 99 in Charlestown is pretty impressive, you have anything to do with that?

The title caught my eye, not the section. And yes, the Charlestown turbine is mine. ;)

The title caught my eye, not the section. And yes, the Charlestown turbine is mine. ;)

Is that you on top waving ??? [laugh]

mwradi-bowles-turbine-800.jpg.w560h841.jpg

Is that you on top waving ??? [laugh]

mwradi-bowles-turbine-800.jpg.w560h841.jpg

from left, with blue hardhat....owner of our company, then Billy electrician LU103, Dan electrician LU103. But this picture was taken at deer Island in 2009; when we put those up. That's a 600kw, on a 35M tower. Charlestown is a 1500kw, on a 70M tower

Last edited:
That's a 600kw, on a 35M tower. Charlestown is a 1500kw, on a 70M tower
How do those things pay for themselves? I assume the big ones still cost more than $1.5M installed. If I take out all those delivery charges from my bill it looks like I'm paying $0.08/KWHr. That means a 1500KW unit makes $120/hr in good winds. Even if its yearly average is 25% of that (which I doubt) it's only making $263K/yr. Add in maintenance costs and the interest you could have made with the investment and I don't see how they ever break even.

from left, with blue hardhat....owner of our company, then Billy electrician LU103, Dan electrician LU103. But this picture was taken at deer Island in 2009; when we put those up. That's a 600kw, on a 35M tower. Charlestown is a 1500kw, on a 70M tower

You seagull killer, you! You view despoiler!

(We need more windmills, keep it up! Ted's not around to bitch anymore!)

Back
Top Bottom