Worker Falls 500' To His Death From Newton Radio Tower

How do those things pay for themselves? I assume the big ones still cost more than $1.5M installed. If I take out all those delivery charges from my bill it looks like I'm paying $0.08/KWHr. That means a 1500KW unit makes $120/hr in good winds. Even if its yearly average is 25% of that (which I doubt) it's only making $263K/yr. Add in maintenance costs and the interest you could have made with the investment and I don't see how they ever break even.

Good old government subsidies and it helps if you pay cash for everything. My company is planning to have an additional 1000MW added to the portfolio by the end of 2012.

How do those things pay for themselves? I assume the big ones still cost more than $1.5M installed. If I take out all those delivery charges from my bill it looks like I'm paying $0.08/KWHr. That means a 1500KW unit makes $120/hr in good winds. Even if its yearly average is 25% of that (which I doubt) it's only making $263K/yr. Add in maintenance costs and the interest you could have made with the investment and I don't see how they ever break even.

The Commiewealth has Net Metering. The customer gets retail price back upon production to the grid, around $.14/kwh. A 1.5MW machine costs appx $4.6M furnished & installed, capacity factor at Charlestown is about 23%, translating....365x24x.23x1500 = 3 million kwh of production annually. $425k/year. The renewable energy certificates (RECs) sell for appx $.04/kwh, another $120k of income annually. Then take the 33% Investment tax credit into account (the gov't sends a check to the customer/owner for 1/3 of the total project cost) and it's a good deal.
$4.6M x .33 = $1.5M off the top, $3M divided by $500k/yr...payback in 6 years.

You seagull killer, you! You view despoiler!

(We need more windmills, keep it up! Ted's not around to bitch anymore!)

you should see the parking lot at deer island!! bodies all over the place! One of our guys was showing a client the turbines down there, they were standing under the blades...he hears WHAP! and half of a seagull lands at his feet! [rofl]

Helmet, really?

And the call motorcycle helmets brain buckets....

The helmet keeps you from banging your head on the way up and prevents cuts and bruises when you hit the tower or ladder cage while climbing. It is not designed to ensure a safe landing from a fall. [rolleyes]

RIP, man from Arkansas.

I am in this industry an have been for ten years now. Although I dont climb anymore I used to and do stupid things when I was younger. I feel terrible for his family and loved ones. I know how hard these guys work to make a pay check. You work wherever the work is, in all types of weather and all hours of the day and night. It truely is a tough job, but an exciting one. I have seen some beautiful sites up there and seen some scary sh*t too. I have respect for all who do this. So next time the tv, radio, or cell phone is on the fritz. Think of the guys up there trying to fix and make technology better. Just venting a little. Gave me goose bumps and made me remember all the close calls I had and am so thankful to have made it home to my family. RIP!

you should see the parking lot at deer island!! bodies all over the place! One of our guys was showing a client the turbines down there, they were standing under the blades...he hears WHAP! and half of a seagull lands at his feet! [rofl]

And is this a bad thing?? [wink]

-------------

To the original topic . . . RIP and thoughts go out to co-workers and Family.

I hate heights and that stuff is beyond spooky to me. More power to those that do such dangerous jobs.

Ahh, when you put it like that, it makes sense.

The helmet keeps you from banging your head on the way up and prevents cuts and bruises when you hit the tower or ladder cage while climbing. It is not designed to ensure a safe landing from a fall. [rolleyes]

RIP, man from Arkansas.

Free climbing is not allowed or practiced by anyone that wants to live. Lots of companies make a Y-lanyard that allows 100% attachment during the climb.

This! I'm willing to bet we will learn the guy did something wrong or had a critical equipment failure of some sort. I climb towers, and if you aren't attached via "buddy rail", you double hook your way up with the dual lanyard. Free climb is a huge no-no.

Free climbing is not allowed or practiced by anyone that wants to live. Lots of companies make a Y-lanyard that allows 100% attachment during the climb.
I did a little tower climbing when I worked at MIT. We used something similar to the below pic. I spent a lot of time in Westford, Ma at "Haystack"...up and down the Golf Ball and on the other dishes.
One-handed-attachment.jpg

Helmet, really?
And the call motorcycle helmets brain buckets....

Those only protect if the guy above you drops his tools.

Are you kidding? That's an awesome way to go out. If you gotta go anyway, why not fall from 500'? The only way it could be more awesome is if he were drinking jack daniels from the bottle and banging 2 strippers on the way down.

Yeah, as much fun as those in the World Trade Center that jumped.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I have some additional insider news about the tower incident.
A good friend of mine and fellow Ham, John Mullaney K1BOS, is a radio & TV engineer for Clear Channel.
He was on site in the control room when the accident occurred.
He made the first 911 call and opened the gates for the first responders.
The scene was much more gruesome than most of the media reported.
The deceased hit the guy wires on the way down and tried to grab on, but the wires acted like a cheese knife and severed some body parts.
He didn't hit the ground in one piece.
I heard they had a cadaver dog up there sniffing around for his missing hand.

[shocked]

I have some additional insider news about the tower incident.
A good friend of mine and fellow Ham, John Mullaney K1BOS, is a radio & TV engineer for Clear Channel.
He was on site in the control room when the accident occurred.
He made the first 911 call and opened the gates for the first responders.
The scene was much more gruesome than most of the media reported.
The deceased hit the guy wires on the way down and tried to grab on, but the wires acted like a cheese knife and severed some body parts.
He didn't hit the ground in one piece.
I heard they had a cadaver dog up there sniffing around for his missing hand.

[shocked]
Give us a lunch warning, please.

Back
Top Bottom