• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Radio Jamming Device

I remember years back, one of our TT drivers getting himself in trouble with the FCC. He used to run down to Jersey and on his lunch break would sit somewhere across the river from NY and talk on his CB radio. I think it was because he used to run one of those linear amplifiers, that he was disrupting the communications at the JFK control tower. When they found him, (didnt take long), they made him an offer. Gives us the radio and amplifier, or we can give you a $ 50,000.00 fine. They were not happy. He did the smart thing and gave up the equipment. I remember seeing his tractor when he was in the yard getting ready to go on the road. When he keyed the mike to talk you could actually see sparks jumping off the tip of the antenna. Guy was crazy, and the AMP i believe was in the 1000 to 1500 Watt range......

you can get them online, but they are illegal in the USA

In other countries establishments install them ( movie theaters, etc) to keep people from being aholes.

I remember years back, one of our TT drivers getting himself in trouble with the FCC. He used to run down to Jersey and on his lunch break would sit somewhere across the river from NY and talk on his CB radio. I think it was because he used to run one of those linear amplifiers, that he was disrupting the communications at the JFK control tower. When they found him, (didnt take long), they made him an offer. Gives us the radio and amplifier, or we can give you a $ 50,000.00 fine. They were not happy. He did the smart thing and gave up the equipment. I remember seeing his tractor when he was in the yard getting ready to go on the road. When he keyed the mike to talk you could actually see sparks jumping off the tip of the antenna. Guy was crazy, and the AMP i believe was in the 1000 to 1500 Watt range......
the chances of a CB radio interfering with a tower are near zero, it would be 4th harmonic or more.

Now there WAS a guy with a FM Broadcast transmitter in Brockton. what we in the industry call a "pirate" station, and he WAS screwing up the ground frequencies at Logan.

The FCC rarely acts upon Pirates, only when a licensed station complains normally, but on this day they got their asses out of their chairs down in Quincy and went out and found the guy in short order.

Unfortunately the Boston Globe link is dead, but it was discussed here: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/threads/brocton-piratre-causes-havok-at-logan.513599/

you can get them online, but they are illegal in the USA

In other countries establishments install them ( movie theaters, etc) to keep people from being aholes.
When the multi-theater complex opened up in Randolph (almost on the Stoughton line), they proudly stated that they jammed all radio transmissions in the building. Back then I wore a pager (this was in the 1990s) and it didn't work in their building. It also meant that if someone tried to reach a doctor in the theater for an emergency, they couldn't. Eventually the jamming apparatus was removed or disabled some years later.

When I was much younger and had a CB in my truck I recall a few truckers that had some amplified units, probably nothing like that but, they used to come on and just blast loud over everyone, very strong signal. Fun Stuff, with the pending apocalypse soon I should probably fire up the old CB units again..... 🤓

Has FM caught on yet in the CB world? I know they approved/added it, but the only people I know who have CBs never use them because everyone else is too annoying. My only experience was with a handheld from Radio Shack back in high school. It was useless.

Has FM caught on yet in the CB world? I know they approved/added it, but the only people I know who have CBs never use them because everyone else is too annoying. My only experience was with a handheld from Radio Shack back in high school. It was useless.
I don't think it has yet, but I'm sure it will if the radios are made available cheap enough and people realize the better audio quality and lack of noise that is the usual on AM and SSB.
So far I think there's only a couple of CB (not 10m) radios available and they're running close to $200. When some production competition starts and prices drop to the $100 range, I think there will be a lot of people making the switch to FM.

the chances of a CB radio interfering with a tower are near zero, it would be 4th harmonic or more.
It is risky posting something like this in here, as I admittedly know next to nothing past the basics, but it would seem if you are throwing enough wattage at it, and it is a hack-job, this may not be so far fetched? I doubt the average dumbass is putting out a very clean signal.

Not really challenging your statement mind you. I guess I'm more asking "what am I missing".

It is risky posting something like this in here, as I admittedly know next to nothing past the basics, but it would seem if you are throwing enough wattage at it, and it is a hack-job, this may not be so far fetched? I doubt the average dumbass is putting out a very clean signal.

Not really challenging your statement mind you. I guess I'm more asking "what am I missing".

In order to understand the reference to "harmonics", you have to understand what that is. In simplistic terms, the air traffic frequencies are approximately a four-fold difference in frequency. At each harmonic, the strength of a signal is attenuated further.

I don't think it has yet, but I'm sure it will if the radios are made available cheap enough and people realize the better audio quality and lack of noise that is the usual on AM and SSB.
So far I think there's only a couple of CB (not 10m) radios available and they're running close to $200. When some production competition starts and prices drop to the $100 range, I think there will be a lot of people making the switch to FM.

I'll be very surprised if FM catches on in a big way with the CB crowd. I think it will be popular with a small subset, just like 10 meter FM is clearly not as big as USB. The problem with FM for disorderly, wide area comms is Capture Effect. The strongest signal wins and everyone else is locked out. With AM and SSB, everyone gets heard.

When the multi-theater complex opened up in Randolph (almost on the Stoughton line), they proudly stated that they jammed all radio transmissions in the building. Back then I wore a pager (this was in the 1990s) and it didn't work in their building. It also meant that if someone tried to reach a doctor in the theater for an emergency, they couldn't. Eventually the jamming apparatus was removed or disabled some years later.
OTOH, attenuation is legal.

Shield the building (akin to a Faraday cage) and you can get the signal strength down below what a pager or cell phone can process. This isn't jamming, as there is no active transmitter. Many buildings are intentionally or unintentionally built this way, and it's a side effect in underground spaces and tunnels.

It's feasible to selectively allow a subset of transmissions through active or even passive repeaters (the latter basically being a pair of antennas, connected via a coax line passing through the shielding/structure. Or for a tunnel you point a Yagi at a strong signal source and then run "leaky coax" down the length of the tunnel.

Jamming?
Who needs more of what comes naturally with all the powerlines and sundry electronics.
Background is typically S7-9 at my house. On a "good" night.

Back
Top Bottom