Wood pieces falling off my Enfield 2A stock - fixing help needed

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Two weeks ago I took my new (to me) Enfield 2A to the range and put 50 rnds through it. As I was picking up brass I noticed two pieces of wood that were the same color as my stock. I picked up the wood and look over my rifle and sure enough they came off the rifle. One piece was a 1 inch by 1/2 inch piece that came off on the left side of the trigger group. The other piece was bigger and is a signficant piece of the stock that sits right behind the bolt. Both pieces were obviously broken prior to me owning it as the one piece behind the bolt has a wood pin in it to keep it in place on the main part of the stock and the smaller piece by the trigger also shows signs that it was glued in place at one point. Now, when I put the pieces back in place they match up so well that unless I was looking for it, I would of never noticed. My thought here is that I weakened the glue or whatever was holding them in place when I stripped the stock and refinished it.

I want to fix these properly and am wondering how you would fix this. Is there a special glue or epoxy that would work best. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I did try some super glue, but that only lasted 10 rnds this past weekend and both pieces fell back off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

gorilla glue or epoxy resin......that should be strong enough.....if you use gorilla glue you will need to clamp the pieces as the glue expands and could lift the piece out of place. Once it hardens you can forget about moving that piece ever agian.....

I'm sure there are less crude ways (more woodworker friendly) to do this but this is my suggestion.

TiteBond - it's about the best glue out there for wood.
OK, as long as you don't use the regular Titebond wood glue. Titebond polyurethane glue (or Gorilla Glue which is also polyurethane glue) should be used.

Regular wood glue relies on fiber-to-fiber bonding in the wood. This is great for freshly cut, uncontaminated wood. If you're talking about repairing a previously finished, glued, or oily piece of wood (like we have here), then traditional wood glue will not work.

Use either a polyurethane glue or an epoxy. You'll have to clamp with either glue (use a bunch of strong rubber bands), and follow the instructions on the glue (i.e. wet the wood first if using polyurethane). If you use a poly glue, be prepared for a foamy extrusion from the joint as the glue cures - this will break right off when the glue fully hardens.

the smaller piece by the trigger also shows signs that it was glued in place at one point.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I did try some super glue, but that only lasted 10 rnds this past weekend and both pieces fell back off.

Regular wood glue relies on fiber-to-fiber bonding in the wood. This is great for freshly cut, uncontaminated wood. If you're talking about repairing a previously finished, glued, or oily piece of wood (like we have here), then traditional wood glue will not work.
Ah, yes. I'd missed the part where it had been glued before; you're quite correct. Titebond won't work in previously glued pieces.

For fresh breaks, though, you can't beat it.

no ,use brownells acraglass for long lasting repairs. (you can also use it for bedding your rifles too. ) http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1033&title=ACRAGLAS~
I have done many stock repairs with it over the years and never had it fail again. the other glues may be cheaper but I would use this stuff hands down if I want it to stay repaired.

sounds like the best way to me....even better than gorilla glue. I was going to an antique repair on a broken leg with the gorilla glue....now I will use this.

Thanks for the tip!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom