• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

wood, leather, steel guns and holsters only

who dislikes plastic frame guns and non wood stock rifles [ modern hi cap mag., pistol grip, bayonet lug, flash suppressor sporting rifles exempt|. i have a few glocks with plastic holsters for rough travel but will never own another plastic gun and that includes grips, holsters, slings etc. butt fugly

Last edited:
There is something to be said for wood and steel, but there is nothing wrong with polymer, I own both.
Holster on the other hand, I don't like the kydex stuff, I've tried a bunch and the fit (to me not the gun) just isn't there. It seems like they are a cheap way to crank out low quality holsters. I'll take leather over kydex any day, and I'm willing to pay the premium price for a good holster.

I like kydex belt holsters for their thinness and durability, especially in wet conditions. If well-made, they conform well to the body. For IWB I much prefer leather for comfort although the quality hybrids serve well. And polymer frame pistols sure are comfortable to carry all day.

But the fact is, flintlocks represent the most noble point of firearm development, and it's all been downhill from there.

KIA.
(2) polymer ar lowers. Cracked and subsequently broke apart behind rear takedown pin towards buffer threads after less than 100rounds. Junk receivers

Plastic trigger guard on keltec sub2k. Drop. Replaced with metal one from mcarbo

On another note i have seen a BLT hang his m16 over the side of hiback humvee and bend barrel to a 90 degree angle as we drove by a rock face.

Point being it all breaks, and the user often has more to do with this then the weapon.

I generally prefer old guns over new guns so most of mine are wood and steel. I also prefer leather holsters but I finally had to resort to a plastic gun in a plastic holster as my son and god-son had been urging for a long time. At the time I was carrying a beautiful Colt 1911 in a leather holster and every day when I got home from work I'd look at the Colt and the left side would be rusty from me sweating on it all day. I hate to admit that my son and god-son might have been right about something but I guess they were.

I generally prefer old guns over new guns so most of mine are wood and steel. I also prefer leather holsters but I finally had to resort to a plastic gun in a plastic holster as my son and god-son had been urging for a long time. At the time I was carrying a beautiful Colt 1911 in a leather holster and every day when I got home from work I'd look at the Colt and the left side would be rusty from me sweating on it all day. I hate to admit that my son and god-son might have been right about something but I guess they were.

Gerry, you can get leather lined kydex to take care of that gun, keep quiet and be a sound solid platform. I have a Garrett from Texas and like it a lot. Cheers.

Outside the Waist

Overall I like steel better and I think it will hold value longer. Some of my guns are a hundred years old and functioning perfectly.
I'm just not sure how the plastic will last.

Pistols all metal. I just can't make the transition. The composite ones feel cheep to me.
Semi auto rifles I want a metal receiver. Plastic stocks and accessories are good to go.
Bolt actions and lever actions need to be wood and steel only. Preferably stainless.
Shotguns should be all steel and wood with the exception of home defense.

Is the gun on my mantle or is it on my hip? I mean no doubt the steel and wood looks prettier but its heavier, clunkier, it can corrode, rust. Costs 4 times as much and is extremely vulnerable to elements. Wood even more so.

Polymer is simply a light, durable and easy to keep clean material. It will never be a trophy gun by any means. But its less beauty to fuss over and more shooting to be had.

I own, like, and enjoy shooting both wood/steel and plastic guns.
Same with holsters, I have leather and Kydex.
But if I ever need to thin the herd, it'll be the wood, steel and leather that stays in my safe.

Depends on what the gun is for. But I'm a big fan of older guns, trapdoors, Sharps, lever actions, Ruger Vaqueros (I know, modern, but close enough) ...
Basically anything I can load with black powder is fun and good to go.

But, those are competition and fun guns.

For carrying, I go with convenience, thin, light, durable, reliable. I dont care if it is pretty or ugly, the job of a CCW is not to make a fashion statement.

In rifles I prefer wood. But, if it will be a gun used in some sort of competition where it will get wet or covered in mud, I prefer plastic.

Everything has its uses.

For holsters ... Kydex all the way. Unless it's a cowboy style holster, then leather.

Back
Top Bottom