WMass mayors targeted by NRA

Tuesday, September 22, 2009
By FRED CONTRADA
[email protected]

Holyoke Mayor Michael J. Sullivan has taken heat for some of his decisions, but he didn't know what is was like to draw fire until he crossed the sights of the National Rifle Association.

"I've hired a police chief from the outside," Sullivan said. "I've closed schools. I've never gotten more calls than I've gotten about this."

The powerful association of gun-rights advocates has targeted Sullivan and other local mayors who belong to the group Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Over the past few weeks, the association has sent mailings to its members denouncing the group and urging citizens to pressure their mayors to dissociate themselves from the organization.

In Easthampton, Mayor Michael A. Tautznik said he received eight to 10 responses because of the mailing, enough to convince him with withdraw from Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Tautznik, who is facing a four-way race for his job in November, said he feared the emotions stirred up by the National Rifle Association's letter would polarize the political atmosphere and distract voters from the real issues.

"This really isn't a local issue," he said. "I thought it would be quicker for the community to just end it."

Tautznik, who worked at a sporting goods store before he was elected mayor, is a gun owner and member of the National Rifle Association. Despite his withdrawal from Mayors Against Illegal Guns, he said he supports the group's mission of removing illegal guns from the streets.

"I still believe this is laudable," he said.

Founded by New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has more than 450 members from throughout the country. In a statement on its Web site, the organization says it supports the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to legally own guns.

The National Rifle Association disputes this, maintaining that Mayors Against Illegal Guns has an "anti-gun" agenda that targets law-abiding gun owners by bringing "bogus lawsuits against lawful firearm manufacturers." According to the association's site, its campaign has resulted in the withdrawal of 50 mayors from the group.

Sullivan is not among them. He said he has been in some heated discussions with citizens over the topic.

"The mission of Mayors Against Illegal Guns is to remove illegal guns from the street," he said. "If anyone has a contrary position on that, I'm sorry."

Sullivan noted that his city and nearby Springfield have had a rash of shooting deaths this year and guessed that all of them involved illegal guns.

"No one I talked to says they are for illegal guns," he said. "(The National Rifle Association) wants to make any politician fearful and not likely to stand up for what's right. It blows my mind."

Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno, another member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, has not received any feedback from citizens contacted by the National Rifle Association, according to his communications director, Thomas T. Walsh.

Northampton Mayor Mary Clare Higgins received one letter on the topic. It didn't sway her.

"I'm not going to withdraw my membership," she said.

Source

Lets keep the pressure up.

I noticed the mayor of Malden is on the list. Isn't Malden supposed to be a super green town? Any of the Malden residents here sent letters/called the mayor's office?

Founded by New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has more than 450 members from throughout the country. In a statement on its Web site, the organization says it supports the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to legally own guns.

[rofl]

I love it.

Thanks for posting.

NP.

I visited Mayor Domenic J. Sarno's website so I could see his contact information and write him a letter, as I hope many in WMA will.

In case you missed that link it is: http://www.springfieldcityhall.com/COS/mayor.0.html

I also saw a link that stated you could fill out a form to obtain: Certificates of Recognition from the Mayor.

I'm going to fill one out, asking him to recognize my work in the RKBA community, outreach to children and the shooting sports, and firearms safety. Wonder if I'll get it? Since the Mayor obviously doesn't. [smile]

idiots

how far malden has fallen.I graduated from Malden High.and was a member or the high school rifle club with Bill Barrat the fire commisioner,we both were in boot together he ended as naval armed guard on murmask run.now they dont even know there was a rifle team who was tops in the country.and they supplied the rifles and ammo.

What a great name for an anti group! I wonder when an anti-2A group will really step up to the plate, though, and name their group, "Citizens Against Dead Toddlers" so they can say "Can you believe the NRA is pro-Dead Toddler?" Oy.

What a great name for an anti group! I wonder when an anti-2A group will really step up to the plate, though, and name their group, "Citizens Against Dead Toddlers" so they can say "Can you believe the NRA is pro-Dead Toddler?" Oy.

This MUST Stop!

Baby_On_Board.jpg

In a statement on its Web site, the organization says it supports the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to legally own guns.

Of course, the devil is in the details. Just look at what is 'legal' for gun owners are in the cities that the founding mayors control. Seems to be that these mayors are either highly dishonest or lying because the Second Amendment says "Shall not be infringed", not "subject to the whims of the government". Boston's ban on evil looking rifles and New York's virtual ban of all guns to the average person are hardly consistent with the language of the law of the land.

So, a mayor that remains a part of this organization is one that in effect says "I am a power hungry political figurehead who doesn't care what the law is, I'll do whatever I want."

Nice attitude.

Back
Top Bottom