• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter lubrication?

I love me the ProLix.. Definitely cheaper stuff out there but I use it on alot more than my guns. Anything around the house and yard that needs lube/cleaning gets some and the stuff repels water and rust for much longer than other stuff I've tried

I use Slip2000 EWG on pretty much anything semi auto that I shoot a lot, with the exception of my ARs and it’s been great. Stuff runs silky smooth.

But I learned that sub 20* the grease slows down my waterfowl shotgun to the point it doesn’t cycle reliably, even with 3” shells. Been using just Slip200 EWL in lue of the EWG and no more cycling issues.

Shit, now I might have to seasonally clean the guns :(

Woah woah woah. Settle down now!

Im just going to use the EWG on my pistols from now on. I’ll keep using the EWL on everything else.

I was bummed I had to clean the waterfowl shotgun though. I was hoping to shoot it all season in order to kinda torture test it.

I’ve been using CLP, EWL and ezox in rotation quite a bit.

What’s the thoughts on ezox for a cold weather lube?

I use that stupid expensive cherry bomb stuff Snacks recommended years ago (prob got a cut) stuffs great never had a gun cycle so smooth…

Mineral oil , sewing machine oil ,
IDK im in the camp if your using grease and its locking up a 1911 your using to much grease.
I feel like JMB would say , just enough oil to help keep rust away.

There’s no need overcomplicate this, any oil work. IMG_2842.jpeg IMG_2731.jpeg apparently I’m allergic to penicillin IMG_2332.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a reasonably tight fitting 1911 and normally use Wilson Ultima or Slip grease or SFL-1
but with winter, I find it all thickens up to the point where the 1911 won't eject at all.

Do you guys change out to a lighter, more oily lube for the colder months?
CLP or Hoppe's 9. WD40 in a pinch. It's a gun not an engine lmao. You shouldn't be heavily lubing a firearm anyway. The wetness will just turn to absolute gunk. Less is more when it comes to the lube.

CLP or Hoppe's 9. WD40 in a pinch. It's a gun not an engine lmao.
Yes, it is a gun. An engine is a far, far more hostile environment than a gun (higher temperatures, higher velocities, and sustained high velocities)..

Pretty much any oil will do and motor oil is a heck of a lot cheaper than gun oil sold in 1 oz bottles.

Last edited:
As @Mountain states Mobil-1 grease is such a good option for some components on a gun. Just dab on bcgs, channels, and contact point does a great job in many temps and being an outdoor shooter I’ve found it to be very stable from 20 up to 90. I use it on my small engines as well. Atf and diff fluid are also good.

I think I need a shot of penicillin after just looking at these photos

That middle pic almost looks like ring worm
Those photos just got put in there while I was trying to select the gun one, so I figured I’d go with it.

Even the doctors couldn’t tell you what that was looks like I was welding the coolant system in a nuclear reactor, and then after I took their drugs, I felt like I was in a nuclear reactor..

At least it wasn’t on my junk though.

Last edited:
G96 is pretty good in very cold conditions. Marvel Mystery Oil is also a good cold weather oil.

RemOil is horrible below 15 degrees. It actually gums up to the point of forming tiny chunks.
Best thing as you know is to try different products in the conditions your shooting in.
My dad and uncle ( wwii vet high mountains of italy) would probably laugh and disagree with all of “special” lube shit.
Mystery oil is basically deodorized kerosene.
Most are based on light Stoddard oils.
Its all fun
My dad was big on “very light on the oil”

I have a reasonably tight fitting 1911 and normally use Wilson Ultima or Slip grease or SFL-1
but with winter, I find it all thickens up to the point where the 1911 won't eject at all.

Maybe ammo is just to temp sensitive? How cold are we talking

AMSOIL Shock Therapy® #5 Light Suspension Fluid. Made for cold weather snowmobile shocks. Doesn't get thick in cold temps. Used on my 1911's down to 20 degrees.... After that, it is too cold for me to shoot. Works great through 100 degrees F.
Look at all the stuff in this stuff, lol
Many here on NES thats to harmful
Lots of stuff in this at less than .025% lol.
Use what works for you. I use what ever is handy. I have a jumbo can of Rem oil that just wont run out! So I use it.
Fun stuff

I came across this article nearly a decade ago. It compares 46 different products and is the most extensive/objective work-up I have seen. Since then, I have used nothing except Hornady One shot to lube/protect after cleaning. The write-up is long, if you want the summary of findings just scroll through to the charts. Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared | Day At The Range

Back
Top Bottom