• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shoulder Holster with thick winter coats?

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
I still carry IWB with my M&P2.0 but lately I have been thinking of switching to a shoulder holster for winter weather. I worry that with thick winter clothing I won't be able to draw unless my coat is unzipped versus just enough to unholster and draw. Does anyone else carry this way in winter weather and how has it worked out? I already own a drawer full of holsters so I want to get an opinion before I buy one and have another holster in unused collection.

I still carry IWB with my M&P2.0 but lately I have been thinking of switching to a shoulder holster for winter weather. I worry that with thick winter clothing I won't be able to draw unless my coat is unzipped versus just enough to unholster and draw. Does anyone else carry this way in winter weather and how has it worked out? I already own a drawer full of holsters so I want to get an opinion before I buy one and have another holster in unused collection.

What if you need to take the jacket off though? Like you end up in a scenario where you're somewhere you weren't planning to go and you're inside wearing a thick jacket the entire time. Sounds uncomfortable and a bit socially awkward. Sweating up a storm and people asking you if they can take your jacket for you.

I have a vertical shoulder holster for my Beretta 92. They are cool but not very comfortable. As far as the Baretta is concerned, the bottom of the holster needs to be secured to your belt or it is too hard to draw. I don’t use it because of the reasons listed above.

What if you need to take the jacket off though? Like you end up in a scenario where you're somewhere you weren't planning to go and you're inside wearing a thick jacket the entire time. Sounds uncomfortable and a bit socially awkward. Sweating up a storm and people asking you if they can take your jacket for you.

Well I'm thinking about situations like going out shopping, walking the dogs etc. Not necessarily going for dinner where someone wants my jacket. Besides I have only been out to dinner twice this entire year, once in March before the lockdowns and once in summer when it was possible to eat indoors just to feel like a human being again.

Can't answer your question but interested in which shoulder holster you're considering as I've been thinking of shoulder carrying myself.

I don't know I just wanted to get some feedback before I spend more money on another holster that doesn't get used.

Well I'm thinking about situations like going out shopping, walking the dogs etc. Not necessarily going for dinner where someone wants my jacket. Besides I have only been out to dinner twice this entire year, once in March before the lockdowns and once in summer when it was possible to eat indoors just to feel like a human being again.
I don’t think it would be bad in those situations. Smaller gun than the 92 wouldn't be so bad. Horizontal rigs sweep people behind you so I think vertical is better. Proper fit the gun should be just under your armpit, not hanging low and it’s better tied to your belt. The 92 is hard to draw, but maybe that’s because it isn’t broken in.

I don’t think it would be bad in those situations. Smaller gun than the 92 wouldn't be so bad. Horizontal rigs sweep people behind you so I think vertical is better. Proper fit the gun should be just under your armpit, not hanging low and it’s better tied to your belt. The 92 is hard to draw, but maybe that’s because it isn’t broken in.

My carry is an M&P 2.0 in 9mm, not a 92.

I used a shoulder holster for years. It was a jackass style clam shell style for a commander sized 1911. Very comfortable and was the best choice because I wore a sports coat or suit all the time. Even a sport coat with jeans. However it is not a good winter choice if you have a zipped up or buttoned up winter coat or jacket on. The only way would to leave your coat or jacket open all the time. I would even switch to a strong side inside the waist band in winter.

I carry iwb all year long, but I usually wear waist length coats, so it's not a problem. Usually wear a sweater or sweatshirt under my jacket, in case I want to shed my jacket. Lift garment and draw. Kinda dress around your carry.
Thought about shoulder carry, decided against it for some of the reasons listed above.
Hope this helps.

Or under 2 shirts which if you need it you won't get to it unless a full scale invasion happens

Miami jackass rig with 1911 and 2x spare mags on the opposite side. Very comfortable, and with a winter jacket it is very concealed. I practiced drawing with my jacket zipped down a bit. It definitely takes some practice to see where you have to have an opening and how much space to draw without snagging.

I’ve got a DeSantis horizontal rig I use with my 1911 under a flannel shirt in the cooler weather. Not bad for dress up situations, good holster but my arms are almost too short for a shoulder holster.

I've got a full size USP .45 in a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster. It conceals fine under a hoodie. I can draw easily by going in from the bottom of the hoodie. A light jacket is really no sweat.

Pocket carry a P365. Or an internal hammered revolver and you can shoot right through the pocket

Happened to a friend of mine years ago at frank's steak house in Cambridge. the waiting area was stupid hot to make up for the blast of cold air when the door was open. took off coat and sweatshirt. we were seated right away.

Happened to a friend of mine years ago at frank's steak house in Cambridge. the waiting area was stupid hot to make up for the blast of cold air when the door was open. took off coat and sweatshirt. we were seated right away.

How did he get around it then? Slip it off when no one was looking? Or are you saying he was just open carrying?

Horizontal rigs sweep people behind you so I think vertical is better.
Pocket carry a P365. Or an internal hammered revolver and you can shoot right through the pocket
Oh waiter...can I get me some cognitive dissonance here?[rofl]

P. S. I can still remember my father pointing out in some TV Western
that some guy - a white hat-type guy -
had an open-bottomed holster for his revolver,
hence he didn't actually have to draw it when time was of the essence.

starwars1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom