• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Windham vs mossberg vs S&W AR's

Windham....I have one of their .308's and I love it...

for a 15 I have a Stag and I love that too...

But Windham is the original Bushmaster from what I understand...

Yep, Windham is the original Bushmaster. Cool story how the owner resurrected the company after Freedom Arms reneged on the deal to keep the plant in Maine.

My vote's for Windham. Had their VEX varmint model and it would consistently shoot ~.3 MOA with match hand loads. Overall very nice quality and great customer service.

I have a Windham MPC, bought in July 2012, no issues at all... love it as well !!!

The Windham had the dust cover, forward assist, and came with a hard case, at the time, S&W didn't

The Windham was quiet compared to the S&W for the shake test, for what that's worth

No nothing about Mossberg

I have the Windham, and I like it very much. It is very high quality, and has a lot of standard features that would be upgrades on other AR's. When I was shopping for them, the Windham had the best look and feel, best finish, etc. I like the Windham much more than my mint Colt HBAR. I haven't had a lot of experience shooting the others.

With any luck I will soon have a comparison test. Bought Lady Radtekk an M&P Sport II a couple months back as her wedding present, I got a Redhawk in 44mag. Picked up a Mossberg MMR the other day, supposed to get a second when the LGS shop's order came in Thursday but apparently "one of the counter guys took a deposit on it and didn't tell me."

The owner stepped right up and told me he'd get me the Windham for almost the same price as the mossberg, close enough that on a rifle in that class I wouldn't care:) I pick it up tomorrow am. My next range day is next weekend, I'll be shooting all 3, along with my wife. I promise a report of some sort:)

I would like to say S&W since I own the stock but I have a Windham MPC and a VEX-SS. I couldn't be more satisfied with the workmanship and the accuracy.

I did a bunch of AR research six months ago. Was looking for entry to mid level, already MA compliant, with forward assist and a dust cover. The M&P didn't have those features at the time so I had it narrowed down to the Windham. Was ready to buy one but ended up finding a very good deal in the classifieds here for a Yankee Hill Machine.

Seriously - I don't think I have ever heard or read a bad word about Windham AR's. Makes me think, " I need a Windham !! "

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has has a problem with their Windham.

My windham AR has 1,000s of rounds through it and it rocks. Just my experience.

The Mossberg just feels wrong I cant put it to details...when I shoot my friends its just well Mossberg....
to start with my short fingers don't play well with a standard A2 grip and the Mossberg grip sits lower.
the trigger is about as bad as they get even worse than another friends PSA elsuprocheapo trigger kit.

I know only one person with a windham and he hs been happy with it he shoots 100 yards off the bench with their basic A2 style rifle
SW I have owned 3 over the years including the first gen that was made by stag and then their high end target model that came out before the performance center model along with a lower all where fine and had zero issues, The target model had a 24" barrel and that just gets old quick.... its amazing how 4" can really change a rifle.

I'd have the windham or the smith. I never handled a mossy except for shotguns but making ARs isnt exactly rocket science, if you can torque a thing the right amount and get the gas block on straight you should be in business.

I don't have anything else to compare it with but *LOVE* my Windham. Just bought it a new cheap 4-16x40 scope and going to site it in tomorrow/later today.

Windham is built by people who build AR's. S&W is built by ex cab drivers, Walmart workers and other temps.

I know a woman who works at Smith & Wesson she said there are a lot of guns coming back for repair.

She also said the profit sharing bonuses are based on sales, so they pump them out. Maybe they ought to base the bonus on returns.

Windham is built by people who build AR's. S&W is built by ex cab drivers, Walmart workers and other temps.

I know a woman who works at Smith & Wesson she said there are a lot of guns coming back for repair.

She also said the profit sharing bonuses are based on sales, so they pump them out. Maybe they ought to base the bonus on returns.

I've seen dozens of Windham rifles sold where I work, and yet to hear of one bad experience with them. Seen a few S&Ws with defects, and a surprising defect rate on Ruger AR-556 (about 30% I've seen had issues, either out of spec chamber or improperly reamed holes on the FSB). No experience with Mossberg ARs.

What is a lot based on percent? With the assembly line type production of mass produced parts there will be a certain level of comebacks. If every part of a <1000$ AR was MPI and hand inspected they would be 3k.

Women make up a large percentage of arms manufacturing every time I see any show about a manufacture there seems to be more women working. I have met more women who worked at Springfield Armory than men.
My dad's friends mother worked at SA until it closed. She was presented with a M1 garand for her dedicated service.
I tried buying that rifle for years... I lost touch after my dad's friend died. I hope the grand kids kept it safe.

What is a lot based on percent? With the assembly line type production of mass produced parts there will be a certain level of comebacks. If every part of a <1000$ AR was MPI and hand inspected they would be 3k.

Women make up a large percentage of arms manufacturing every time I see any show about a manufacture there seems to be more women working. I have met more women who worked at Springfield Armory than men.
My dad's friends mother worked at SA until it closed. She was presented with a M1 garand for her dedicated service.
I tried buying that rifle for years... I lost touch after my dad's friend died. I hope the grand kids kept it safe.

All she said was the return rate was a all time high.

My Uncle was a polisher at S&W back when it was a skilled job. Guns that are going to be blued or nickel have to be polished well. They are just not training people to be gunsmiths, instead of assemblers. The Performance Center has declined as well as other departments due to retirements and lack of foresight to train skilled replacements.

I still have a bunch of Smith's I just prefer the older ones. As far as AR's I just think Windham makes a better one for a few more dollars.

All she said was the return rate was a all time high.

My Uncle was a polisher at S&W back when it was a skilled job. Guns that are going to be blued or nickel have to be polished well. They are just not training people to be gunsmiths, instead of assemblers. The Performance Center has declined as well as other departments due to retirements and lack of foresight to train skilled replacements.

I still have a bunch of Smith's I just prefer the older ones. As far as AR's I just think Windham makes a better one for a few more dollars.

The sales are very high also..... I'm wondering what S&W acceptable fail rate is?
I'm sure if SW reaches a threshold of returns something happens. Rework the line , check inventory of parts and the likes. It's all good.

I have a heavy barrel Windham upper absolutely love it 1000 + rounds never a problem.

Back
Top Bottom