• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester 1906, advice needed

nightpoison

NES Member
So I've recently acquired a Winchester 1906, manufactured in 1912. It has been sitting in a drawer in a basement for probably 30+ years, maybe even longer. The wood looks like it's in real good condition, the action is smooth, looks like it was cleaned and lubed before being stored. There is some very lite rust, blueing is a little rough, but over all great condition.

It looks like someone welded on a piece of metal to wrap around the front site post, to protect it from getting damaged.

Any suggestions to cleaning, not restoring, a 100+ year old rifle. Also any suggestions on who to take it to to make sure it's safe to fire. Unless something is so old it's not safe or could damage it, it should be used. Old cars should be driven, old guns should be shot.

There are some drawings on the stock, this was owned by a WWII veteran, who lived almost his entire life on the water in the military and out of the military.

Here are some photos.

uploadfromtaptalk1395661319287.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395661352678.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395661376818.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395661402135.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395661425620.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395661449483.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395661475564.jpg

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

She looks to be shootable.
Make sure there is no heavy scale rust in the barrel or chamber.
I would suggest taking it down as much as your comfortable with and cleaning it well.
The old gun grease they used to use will harden to a leather like texture over the years, so you may end up soaking some parts to get it off.
I've actually cleaned some of that stuff out of a receiver with a dental pick and it came out like a piece of shoe lace.
Don't forget the mag tube as well. those can get pretty cruddy
What you can't get apart, just flood with CLP, and let it drain onto an old towel or something.
Hope that helps

Be sure of the caliber. Some of those old .22 rimfire rifles were chambered in .22WRF which is not the same as .22LR. It's like a shorter version of the .22 magnum.

Dadstoys, thanks for the advice. I tore it down today, the grease was fairly bad. Took some time to get it all cleaned up. I took it down up until it was time to dismantle the trigger group and housing. Yea the take down screw has a very small pin in it and I couldn't get at it. the good news is its working extremely well. easy to use the pump action, the trigger feels great. really excited to get it out to the range.

Gerrycaruso, right on the barrel it has the listing of ammo, its not .22WRF, but thanks for the advice.

The Model 1906 shoots shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges interchangeably. This gun looks to have been painted with black paint and the gumwood stock appears to have been sanded, as well as the obvious modification to the front sight. Definitely in the "shooter" category. These rifles are quite durable and reliable, yours may be a joy to shoot, despite its condition. Enjoy your new find.

Let us know how it shoots.
I have an old Winchester that belonged to my Grandfather and that thing is the most accurate .22 I have.

Back
Top Bottom