Wild turkey hunting Safety Sticker?

:rolleyes:
are you a member of Moms Demand Action? cause you certainly sounds like one.

The sticker is a stupid idea.... it's never saved a single damn life.
Turkey hunting is legal in 49 states (except Alaska ) and MA is the only one with the green sticker.. because it's nonsense.
No, I'm not a member of MDA...even though I saw a segment on them tonight on the NBC evening news!! And no, the sticker is not a stupid idea, it was brought forward by incredibly intelligent people who know more about wild turkey hunting, and safety when wild turkey hunting, then most people on this site will ever know. And the fact that MA is till the only state in the country that still utilizes this green sticker should make real sportsmen proud, as not only does MassWildlife respect safety and the lives of people when hunting, they also realize that by using this "Little Green Sticker" it just may send a message out to the non-hunting population of this state, which is the majority of the people in Massachusetts, that safety when hunting is paramount to the agency, as a large part of what we do and believe. And let me tell you, that goes a long way, even with liberals, to take some of the unwarranted stigmas off the hunting community, while shining, at least, a little bit of light out there that many of us support safe and responsible hunting, and that we practice safety when hunting in many ways, while always trying to be good sportsmen and women! And that's a message that's heard by many throughout the Bay State. And you can take that to the bank!

The "Bad Idea" to which I referred, was to be walking around, in camo, calling.

If you'll look at the quote in post 45, you'll see the language I was responding to, bolded.

We advise that you wear at least partial Hunter Orange, when walking in, and out, and to never have any part of a harvested bird showing, when walking out. This is the sort of thing that we recommend:

Yes, I know about identifying one's target, and what lies beyond. I and the others that I work with make the necessity of this very clear. However, not all hunters in the woods have taken a HE course from the venue where I teach, and I can't vouch for other classes' content, though I'd hope that it's consistent with best practices.

Almost all persons hunting in the woods have taken a HE course; not all of them absorb all of the info presented. So, yes, I stand by my statement that if you're dumb enough to take a "sound shot" or a shot at a target that is not positively identified, a green sticker is not likely to change your mind.
If you made this comment in the post I saw, I may have understood what you were saying a little better. But you didn't in the comment I read! And your statement that I read was not the last sentence you just posted! Not a word was mentioned about identifying your target. Because if you had, then I guarantee that you wouldn't have heard a peep from me. But, on a positive note, I'm at least glad that you made a correction here...I hope that you really mean it!

No, I'm not a member of MDA...even though I saw a segment on them tonight on the NBC evening news!! And no, the sticker is not a stupid idea, it was brought forward by incredibly intelligent people who know more about wild turkey hunting, and safety when wild turkey hunting, then most people on this site will ever know. And the fact that MA is till the only state in the country that still utilizes this green sticker should make real sportsmen proud, as not only does MassWildlife respect safety and the lives of people when hunting, they also realize that by using this "Little Green Sticker" it just may send a message out to the non-hunting population of this state, which is the majority of the people in Massachusetts, that safety when hunting is paramount to the agency, as a large part of what we do and believe. And let me tell you, that goes a long way, even with liberals, to take some of the unwarranted stigmas off the hunting community, while shining, at least, a little bit of light out there that many of us support safe and responsible hunting, and that we practice safety when hunting in many ways, while always trying to be good sportsmen and women! And that's a message that's heard by many throughout the Bay State. And you can take that to the bank!
Do you work for MassWildlife?

Asked as an honest question, not a slam, unless you take it as such.

If you made this comment in the post I saw, I may have understood what you were saying a little better. But you didn't in the comment I read! And your statement that I read was not the last sentence you just posted! Not a word was mentioned about identifying your target. Because if you had, then I guarantee that you wouldn't have heard a peep from me. But, on a positive note, I'm at least glad that you made a correction here...I hope that you really mean it!
I apologize - it was post 43, not 45, that I quoted. I've made the change in my post, to avoid confusion.

If you need a green sticker on your gun to remind you to stay safe you should not own any gun.
If a seasoned hunter is making a mistake.....no little green sticker is gonna stop that.

A suggestion by the state to put the sticker on is fine....a mandate is stupid.

Mind you....Im pretty sure that MA is the ONLY state that requires green stickers on their gun while turkey hunting....that should tell you something on how dumb that is.
No...it tells me that MA is a state that cares about Safe Turkey Hunting, understands the unique situations of the sport that can cause serious accidents to occur, and MassWildlife, as an agency, values peoples lives! Seasoned hunters make mistakes every year man, this sticker simply helps you, when turkey hunting, to continue in your attempts not to make a mistake. What's so hard to understand about that. There not infringing on your freedom, they're only continuing to implement a practice that has worked well for many years both here and in other states when they were using them there. Premature Closure is a real thing man, it's putting tighter clues, and coming up with the wrong conclusion. Like seeing an object in low light and you think it's something its not, or thinking your seeing a beard on a turkeys chest, or horns on a deer's head, but you can't really quite identify it for sure. And if that, or something like it, has never happened to you, then you don't hunt enough! It happens to all of us at one time or another. And it's what you do that counts when it happens to you. Being reminded to stay safe, especially in the heat of situation that you're not quite sure about, is never a bad thing brother!

OMG...that sticker has nothing to do with you losing your freedoms or being pro gun, and has everything to do with helping you STAY SAFE, and keeping that in your brain, when turkey hunting. You know, Turkey Hunting? When hunters are in the woods in complete camo, sounding, in many cases, exactly like the game they're trying to kill! And you inaudible attempt to tag "gun control and being pro gun" into another talking point, rather then staying focus on the issue of safety, is just another tactic that guys like you practice to avoid having to stay focused on the real issue! And no, I don't understand how you, or anyone who agrees with you, could possibly call yourself responsible sportsmen when you let your rhetoric get in the way of keeping yourself, and others hunters around you, safe, especially when you don't have a single educated clue, as to what, why, or how, brought that little sticker, which infringes so much on your freedom, into practice. And your not even taking the time to educate yourself about it enough to have the ability to stay on topic, won't fly around here either with many of us! So, now that you understand this, you can go enjoy your hot cocoa, with the words "sportsman...NOT" on the cup, and pat yourself on the back for your poor attempt at trying to make a point about that "little green sticker", which, in reality, you know absolutely nothing about!
A sticker doesn't do a damn thing to make anyone safer.
Training? Yes
Education? Yes

The whole argument for stickers is that it saved turkey hunting because someone got shot - the sticker didn't and has not saved anyone's life.
It was just a compromise with an antigun, anti-hunting state and nothing more.

The human mind being what it is will completely ignore that stupid little sticker the instant something actually important pulls its attention away or when boredom with it sets in after seeing it for the third or fourth time.

The only safety gained from the application of that sticker is from the wrath and punishment of the state.

The "sticker" certainly isn't the hill you fight on but it certainly is a symbol, metaphor for the woke slippage that has permeated so many things these days. The frustrating issue is many of the sticker warriors don't grasp what the sticker really means and even though the sticker, by itself, seems small, its still a step towards wokeism that is insidious and determined to encompass everything we do, think and say.

In a completely unrelated note. Thanks for helping me get my sticker like 12 years ago when everyone was out. I still remember and appreciate it.
I'm sure it saved countless lives to boot
I did?
Ok, that’s cool that you remember!
I have a sheet of three hanging on my refrigerator in case anyone posts. They’ve been in that spot since I moved here ten years ago

Back when the sport was new and little was known about how "Safe turkey hunting tactics lead to Successful turkey hunting!"
Native American Holiday GIF
So, they didn't serve turkey? Wonder where that centuries old myth stems from? Yes, I understand they most likely didn't have turkey at the first dinner. Maybe the next year?
And there so much more to tell about this story, which I absolutely could, but I won't, out of respect to the individuals and what we were facing back then when this incident happened. Unless you know about this, and the reality as to why those stickers were put into use, and how we received help and advice from another state who was already using them back then for the same exact reason, then you should tread lightly on what you say. Because this had nothing to do with freedoms, gun control, or emotions.
I have a feeling you were involved in an accident/accidental/negligent discharge. Tell us the story that makes this sticker so necessary.
And no, the sticker is not a stupid idea, it was brought forward by incredibly intelligent people who know more about wild turkey hunting, and safety when wild turkey hunting, then most people on this site will ever know. And the fact that MA is till the only state in the country that still utilizes this green sticker should make real sportsmen proud,
Do you remember the company that made the best damn buggy whip in New England? When it was obsolete it was still the best damn buggy whip.
No, I'm not a member of MDA...even though I saw a segment on them tonight on the NBC evening news!
Are you a compensated endorser? You still watch network news? Got a link for this story on 'the wonder sticker'? Or the network and day and time. We'll find it for you if it exists. Then we can share. Will THEY tell us why this sticker was so important three decades ago? Maybe my uncle who was hunting turkeys in MA in the 1930-40s knows how ignorant he and his brothers were in feeding his family.

And no, the sticker is not a stupid idea, it was brought forward by incredibly intelligent people who know more about wild turkey hunting, and safety when wild turkey hunting, then most people on this site will ever know.

This is where you went a step too far with the trolling. Very believable otherwise - bravo.

So @Yankee Killer has signed up for this forum to argue about turkey stickers. Sir, you are either a moron or a bot. Your use name gives me pause for sure. Regardless, you are a moron. I bet you have a red sticker on the dashboard of your car to remind you to stop when the light turns red.

I'm done with this ridiculous thread.

Last edited:
In a completely unrelated note. Thanks for helping me get my sticker like 12 years ago when everyone was out. I still remember and appreciate it.
I'm sure it saved countless lives to boot
Are you flying under a different username now? Or were you just a collateral benefactor?

It’s just amazing to me how many people can attached themselves to something like this little green sticker, which is not even a minor inconvenience, and turn it into another “violation of my rights” situation by calling the idea stupid, retarded, or come up with ideas like Elmers! And Elmers probably a smart guy, but he’s angry over something where the sole purpose is to simply remind people to stay safe in the turkey woods. And to me, if we as hunters could save one persons life by using this sticker that keeps reminding us to “ Be Safe”, then using it is totally worth it! And by the way, deer hunting is a completely different game then turkey hunting, where hunters move in complete Camo (no hunter orange for turkey hunting which these stickers helped prevent), often under low light conditions during the early AM hours, OFTEN in thick foliage as the springtime leaves continue to pop out, and, more times then you’d probably think, calling as they move in these types of conditions! And if you truly don’t know that, then maybe YOU shouldn't be in the woods, and maybe we SHOULD have blaze orange stickers, to be used during deer season in the same exact way, and saying the same exact thing…BE SAFE!

This is somebody's parody account, right? Please.

"And the fact that MA is till the only state in the country that still utilizes this green sticker" is all I need to hear to know that it's a bad idea.

I'm sorry man, as you seem like an intelligent person. But on this topic, you're simply wrong. That sticker, had nothing to do with emotion, other than the fact that a man was killed during one of the first turkey hunting related accidents in Massachusetts. Back when the sport was new and little was known about how "Safe turkey hunting tactics lead to Successful turkey hunting!" And there so much more to tell about this story, which I absolutely could, but I won't, out of respect to the individuals and what we were facing back then when this incident happened. Unless you know about this, and the reality as to why those stickers were put into use, and how we received help and advice from another state who was already using them back then for the same exact reason, then you should tread lightly on what you say. Because this had nothing to do with freedoms, gun control, or emotions. This decision was made to keep turkey hunting moving forward in the state, during a time when we had to do something to show that we were working to keep this from happening, in this new hunting activity which was still foreign to most people at the time, in New England, and in a state that was, and still is for the most part, run by liberal anti hunting groups, politicians, and the lobbyists who work to enhance their causes.

Then let's see the data and statistics that show that those little stupid stickers make any difference at all. Sure you have something other than your own, as of so far, unsubstantiated opinion to support your position.

One of the cardinal rules of firearm safety is to know your target and know what's beyond it. If you haven't learned that, then you shouldn't be hunting. A sticker doesn't change that reality.

Is there any data that shows that there are less accidents from people with green stickers than those who don’t have them?

sportsmen and women should support!
“sportsmen” is inclusive of women.

If you said “sports men” you could add “and women”. But it’s redundant to add women to “sportsmen”.

Oh, also the stickers are useless and don’t do anything except help cucky lady boy hunters feel apologetic for carrying a scary weapon around.

But ya, you can just say “sportsmen”. Covers all of the two genders.

So @Yankee Killer legally has signed up for this forum to argue about turkey stickers. Sir, you are either a moron or a bot. Your use name gives me pause for sure. Regardless, you are a moron. I bet you have a red sticker on the dashboard of your car to remind you to stop when the light turns red.

I'm done with this ridiculous thread.
Same here. Pete.......is why I haven't bothered. I'll refer to Boghog's post #34 to sum up this whole fiasco.

Guy loves stickers and thinks they keep him safe. Got it.

That mentality leads to more stickers.....doesn't get it, but that's fine.

Can tell....typical MA. Gotta have something to keep us safe from ourselves. Is why the LTC was put out there in the first place and creeped from there into full boat retardism....

It is but its a symbol of the sneaky slippage we tolerate now. Back in the 50's if you told my late dad he needed a sticker on his Browning he would have told you to stick the sticker up your azz.
Maybe your dad remembered when someone said....oh...we should come out with a gun permit...because if there was a license to own a firearm, everyone would be safer..

How'd that work out? Late night stroll in Mattapan or Roxbury anyone? Are we safer?

Back
Top Bottom