• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wild turkey hunting Safety Sticker?

I have been reading through some of the laws for turkey hunting this fall. I came across this at http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_turkey.htm

14. SAFETY STICKER:
A person shall not hunt wild turkey by means of a shotgun, or have a shotgun in his possession while hunting wild turkey, unless that person has obtained a "safety sticker" as provided or approved by the Director of Fisheries and Wildlife and affixed the sticker to his shotgun in such a manner that the sticker is visible to the shooter while sighting down the barrel of the shotgun. Safety stickers are not required of persons hunting turkey by archery.

Where do I get one of these?

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/turkey/turkey_hunting_home.htm

A safety sticker on your gun barrel is also required. If you need the safety sticker, send a self addressed stamped envelope to any MassWildlife District office or the Westboro Field Headquarters with your request. Several stickers are on one sheet, so that you will have enough for several years.

The district office isn't too far. I'll have to call for their hours and stop in.

JonJ said:
If you have an EPO that's regularly in your area ask him for one.

I haven't seen an EPO since I moved out of Warren and into Monson. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

The idea is that turkey hunters are on the ground, motionless and in full camo with head and face covered.

Check twice, don't ever shoot at a gobble. Everyone here that I have met I know would be that careful, but I have run into some yahoo's in the woods that need the reminder.

Update: called Friday 4/9/10, stickers recieved Tuesday 4/13/10.

They've always been real quick for me too, with everything. Even before they brought their systems online. A phone call and I get the info or whatever else I needed.

I just dug out a single shot 20ga that, apparently, I was planning on taking turkey hunting. Had a sticker on it, xs sights, and an extra full choke. But, for the life of me I can't remember patterning the gun or even putting the sights, sticker, and choke on it :/ I was going to use it for some trap shooting... imagine my surprise.

WTF?? Forgive me if I'm missing something, but it's a law to put a sticker on your barrel so that you are reminded not to shoot in an unsafe direction?? I must be missing something... sorry to be dense...
Saw this for the first time tonight, your not dense John, you're just uneducated as to why these stickers became necessary back in 1993. The important this is, we can hunt turkeys in Massachusetts, and these stickers kept us from going backwards 10 years in the program back then after the first turkey hunting shooting accident in the state resulted in a death. And I have yet to have someone they missed a turkey because of this small sticker being on the breach of your shotgun. It's a minor thing that does a major service for all who hunt turkeys in MASS. It simply reminds you to "Stay Safe" and what in the name of all that is sacred is wrong with that? JJ

Saw this for the first time tonight, your not dense John, you're just uneducated as to why these stickers became necessary back in 1993. The important this is, we can hunt turkeys in Massachusetts, and these stickers kept us from going backwards 10 years in the program back then after the first turkey hunting shooting accident in the state resulted in a death. And I have yet to have someone they missed a turkey because of this small sticker being on the breach of your shotgun. It's a minor thing that does a major service for all who hunt turkeys in MASS. It simply reminds you to "Stay Safe" and what in the name of all that is sacred is wrong with that? JJ
Its stupid and if you need a sticker on your shotgun you shouldn't be in the f-ing woods. Deer hunters wear blaze orange and idiots shoot them too, if they only had a sticker on their shotgun right?...

Welcome Elmer!

Last edited:
The district office isn't too far. I'll have to call for their hours and stop in.

If you stop in get half a dozen sticker cards so you can mail one to the inevitable member that gets caught short just before turkey season. If you don’t want to make the trip PM me your address and I will send you one.

Also look for the plastic track cards and get a few of those as they also come in handy.

If that sticker is such a major service how did this happen?

Or this

Or this

Or this

Welcome to NES Elmer fudd

Last edited:

Awesome First Post :rolleyes:

Joins NES, decides to quote and comment on a 14 year old thread and support a stupid and unnecessary regulation.

Its stupid and if you need a sticker on your shotgun you shouldn't be in the f-ing woods. Deer hunters wear blaze orange and idiots shoot them too, if they only had a sticker on their shotgun right?...

Welcome Elmer!
Yankee Killer is 100% correct. In every state that does not require these stickers, 1 out of 3 turkey hunters are shot by other turkey hunters. It's an epidemic. Non sticker hunting kills more people each year than fentanyl.

Stickers can't mandate common sense....obviously....see whacko's posts.

And mandating a sticker on your gun for hunting is just as retarded and has nothing to do with keeping you safe, and all its there for so the fishcop can ask to see your gun and write you a ticket.

Yet.....some embrace it....big surprise in this stupid state. Should we put pictures of what deer look like on our shotguns/muzzleloaders next?....so we don't shoot dogs, cats, pigs, goats and horses...or people in orange...or state cops that shoot ladies walking dogs with their muzzleloader?

Stickers can't mandate common sense....obviously....see whacko's posts.

And mandating a sticker on your gun for hunting is just as retarded and has nothing to do with keeping you safe, and all its there for so the fishcop can ask to see your gun and write you a ticket.

Yet.....some embrace it....big surprise in this stupid state. Should we put pictures of what deer look like on our shotguns/muzzleloaders next?....so we don't shoot dogs, cats, pigs, goats and horses...or people in orange...or state cops that shoot ladies walking dogs with their muzzleloader?
Yeah every time that state cop incident is brought up by blood boils. He never even saw the inside of a cruiser! If it were you or me we'd have been cuffed and stuffed and charged with negligent discharge at a minimum.

Yeah every time that state cop incident is brought up by blood boils. He never even saw the inside of a cruiser! If it were you or me we'd have been cuffed and stuffed and charged with negligent discharge at a minimum.
Dude...even though a MZ isn't a firearm in MA.....we would not have an LTC right now or any guns ever again.

Im sure that cop is on the job carrying right now probably.

Welcome Elmer!
It’s just amazing to me how many people can attached themselves to something like this little green sticker, which is not even a minor inconvenience, and turn it into another “violation of my rights” situation by calling the idea stupid, retarded, or come up with ideas like Elmers! And Elmers probably a smart guy, but he’s angry over something where the sole purpose is to simply remind people to stay safe in the turkey woods. And to me, if we as hunters could save one persons life by using this sticker that keeps reminding us to “ Be Safe”, then using it is totally worth it! And by the way, deer hunting is a completely different game then turkey hunting, where hunters move in complete Camo (no hunter orange for turkey hunting which these stickers helped prevent), often under low light conditions during the early AM hours, OFTEN in thick foliage as the springtime leaves continue to pop out, and, more times then you’d probably think, calling as they move in these types of conditions! And if you truly don’t know that, then maybe YOU shouldn't be in the woods, and maybe we SHOULD have blaze orange stickers, to be used during deer season in the same exact way, and saying the same exact thing…BE SAFE!

Back
Top Bottom