Wild turkey hunting Safety Sticker?

Yeah every time that state cop incident is brought up by blood boils. He never even saw the inside of a cruiser! If it were you or me we'd have been cuffed and stuffed and charged with negligent discharge at a minimum.
Yeah every time that state cop incident is brought up by blood boils. He never even saw the inside of a cruiser! If it were you or me we'd have been cuffed and stuffed and charged with negligent discharge at a minimum.
Stickers can't mandate common sense....obviously....see whacko's posts.

And mandating a sticker on your gun for hunting is just as retarded and has nothing to do with keeping you safe, and all its there for so the fishcop can ask to see your gun and write you a ticket.

Yet.....some embrace it....big surprise in this stupid state. Should we put pictures of what deer look like on our shotguns/muzzleloaders next?....so we don't shoot dogs, cats, pigs, goats and horses...or people in orange...or state cops that shoot ladies walking dogs with their muzzleloader?
This is all a little over the top here Mark…I mean really…don’t ya think? It’s not about having stickers with pictures on them man, it’s about reminding us to stay safe! But at the same time, it’s also about educating ourselves to be able to identify our targets, and in turkey hunting that’s a turkey that carries a beard that’s 3 inches or over…and being able to identify this is crucial before taking the shot, and almost as elementary, for a seasoned hunter, as being able to distinguish a buck from a doe should be. But you know what, even seasoned hunters make mistakes, which is exactly why ANYTHING that reminds us to stay safe when hunting ANYTHING, is not only a good idea, but is something that all responsible sportsmen and women should support!

This is what happens when FUDDS have too much time on their hands.
WOW…so you’re calling the folks back in 1993 who made this tough decision about the green stickers FUDDS?! Whatever the hell that means? People that basically kept us from going backwards and losing much of what we had gained back then, many of them individuals who worked their butts off to get turkey hunting started in this state so you could have abundant flocks to enjoy and hunt thirty years later, FUDDS? REALLY?

This is all a little over the top here Mark…I mean really…don’t ya think? It’s not about having stickers with pictures on them man, it’s about reminding us to stay safe! But at the same time, it’s also about educating ourselves to be able to identify our targets, and in turkey hunting that’s a turkey that carries a beard that’s 3 inches or over…and being able to identify this is crucial before taking the shot, and almost as elementary, for a seasoned hunter, as being able to distinguish a buck from a doe should be. But you know what, even seasoned hunters make mistakes, which is exactly why ANYTHING that reminds us to stay safe when hunting ANYTHING, is not only a good idea, but is something that all responsible sportsmen and women should support!
Are you retarded?

WOW…so you’re calling the folks back in 1993 who made this tough decision about the green stickers FUDDS?! Whatever the hell that means? People that basically kept us from going backwards and losing much of what we had gained back then, many of them individuals who worked their butts off to get turkey hunting started in this state so you could have abundant flocks to enjoy and hunt thirty years later, FUDDS? REALLY?
Well, stay safe out there.

OK Karen,

Its amazing to me how people can see a little green sticker on their gun and be smart enough to think it will save anyone. And now your calling for blaze orange stickers....because that will be next because of Karen's like you.

Normal people dont need stickers not to shoot people. But if you want a sticker for it fine....I don't and I don't want it mandated.

And now your coming on here calling seasoned hunters like me that have killed over 100 deer and 20 turkey's and multiple other animals and telling me Im not safe in the woods.

Good job dude.

Last edited:
Yeah, because I look right at the receiver of my shotgun to remind me of things.🙄
A sticker on a gun isn’t going to make ANYONE safer. It’s more a form of revenue enhancement than anything.

If a seasoned hunter is making a mistake.....no little green sticker is gonna stop that.

A suggestion by the state to put the sticker on is fine....a mandate is stupid.

Mind you....Im pretty sure that MA is the ONLY state that requires green stickers on their gun while turkey hunting....that should tell you something on how dumb that is.

Yes

Just so you know......your coming off as a super fudd. NES is not going to be a fun place for you. Please.....stick around though.....this is going to be fun for us.

Last edited:

I hunted that day and it was dark as hell with low clouds, sleet, and light freezing rain. I called it a day about 20 min before sunset as darkness was coming fast.

IIRC he shot nearly an hour after sunset and it was full dark where I was due to the weather. There was no way he could have identified his target and your right. I don’t think he even got a ticket much less charged with anything.

I would say that he should have had a be safe sticker but he wouldn’t have been able to read it in the dark.😉

Little background to expound on what Whacko was saying so that you understand the mentality around here.

We are pro gun.....no gun control group here....if you hadn't figured that out.

Gun contol is all about mandating laws for the sake of safety.

Little green stickers are a mandated law for the sake of safety.

Asking us to like or agree with something like that won't fly here......

Mandated laws for the sake of safety used by liberal idiots...... creep and creep and creep...eventually until you have no or little freedoms.....which is exactly what's been happening in MA forever.

So now that you understand us.....you can go enjoy your coffee with the words "caution...hot" on the cup and can feel as safe as that little green sticker on your gun.

could save one persons life

:rolleyes:
are you a member of Moms Demand Action? cause you certainly sounds like one.

The sticker is a stupid idea.... it's never saved a single damn life.
Turkey hunting is legal in 49 states (except Alaska ) and MA is the only one with the green sticker.. because it's nonsense.

It’s just amazing to me how many people can attached themselves to something like this little green sticker, which is not even a minor inconvenience, and turn it into another “violation of my rights” situation by calling the idea stupid, retarded, or come up with ideas like Elmers! And Elmers probably a smart guy, but he’s angry over something where the sole purpose is to simply remind people to stay safe in the turkey woods. And to me, if we as hunters could save one persons life by using this sticker that keeps reminding us to “ Be Safe”, then using it is totally worth it! And by the way, deer hunting is a completely different game then turkey hunting, where hunters move in complete Camo (no hunter orange for turkey hunting which these stickers helped prevent), often under low light conditions during the early AM hours, OFTEN in thick foliage as the springtime leaves continue to pop out, and, more times then you’d probably think, calling as they move in these types of conditions! And if you truly don’t know that, then maybe YOU shouldn't be in the woods, and maybe we SHOULD have blaze orange stickers, to be used during deer season in the same exact way, and saying the same exact thing…BE SAFE!
This is one (of many) things that are held up as a "bad idea" in a Hunter Ed class.

If you're dumb enough to take a sound-shot, a green sticker will not stop you.

This is one (of many) things that are held up as a "bad idea" in a Hunter Ed class.

As far as moving around during turkey season. I wear an orange hat when going from place to place. That is my common sense thought that I want someone to see me and not misidentify me. However....I don't want a law telling everyone else they have to as well. That is their prerogative to wear what they think makes sense. Moving in the dark, I use a light....I don't care I want to be seen.

I do think that hunter orange has saved lives.....probably many stories not told of accidents not happening because of it. Stickers on a gun...no.

My father has told me his of almost having an a major accident deer hunting in VT, because the other person did not have orange on. Honestly, scared the crap out of me. As I'm not sure I would have been smart enough or had my spidey senses tingling enough not to pull the trigger.

Im not going to go into depth, but it involved some dude taking a deer out on his back, as my father was coming up a steep hill, the guy was on the ridgetop and all Dad saw was parts of the deer and deers head, moving along the ridge. The only reason he didn't fire is because it looked wierd and he knew there was a cart road up there...so he got suspicious. He went up there, and told the guy....man......I nearly shot you, drop that thing...I'll help you drag it out so you don't get killed. If you are gonna do that shit...put some orange or something bright on the f***ing thing.

Last edited:
Saw this for the first time tonight, your not dense John, you're just uneducated as to why these stickers became necessary back in 1993. The important this is, we can hunt turkeys in Massachusetts, and these stickers kept us from going backwards 10 years in the program back then after the first turkey hunting shooting accident in the state resulted in a death. And I have yet to have someone they missed a turkey because of this small sticker being on the breach of your shotgun. It's a minor thing that does a major service for all who hunt turkeys in MASS. It simply reminds you to "Stay Safe" and what in the name of all that is sacred is wrong with that? JJ

I'm going to have to disagree dawg. The sticker does absolutely nothing to increase safety - at all. It was a regulation placed on hunters by regulators who knew nothing about it and had never spent a day hunting in their lives...

It's an atypical liberal regulation. Based on good intentions, but is an emotional - rather than a fact-based - response to an issue they thought they needed to solve. That said, I can appreciate what the intentions were. But the regulation and results are a fail.

As far as moving around during turkey season. I wear an orange hat when going from place to place. That is my common sense thought that I want someone to see me and not misidentify me. However....I don't want a law telling everyone else they have to as well. That is their prerogative to wear what they think makes sense. Moving in the dark, I use a light....I don't care I want to be seen.

This, and sit up against a backstop that is as wide as your shoulders whenever possible.

Little background to expound on what Whacko was saying so that you understand the mentality around here.

We are pro gun.....no gun control group here....if you hadn't figured that out.

Gun contol is all about mandating laws for the sake of safety.

Little green stickers are a mandated law for the sake of safety.

Asking us to like or agree with something like that won't fly here......

Mandated laws for the sake of safety used by liberal idiots...... creep and creep and creep...eventually until you have no or little freedoms.....which is exactly what's been happening in MA forever.

So now that you understand us.....you can go enjoy your coffee with the words "caution...hot" on the cup and can feel as safe as that little green sticker on your gun.
OMG...that sticker has nothing to do with you losing your freedoms or being pro gun, and has everything to do with helping you STAY SAFE, and keeping that in your brain, when turkey hunting. You know, Turkey Hunting? When hunters are in the woods in complete camo, sounding, in many cases, exactly like the game they're trying to kill! And you inaudible attempt to tag "gun control and being pro gun" into another talking point, rather then staying focus on the issue of safety, is just another tactic that guys like you practice to avoid having to stay focused on the real issue! And no, I don't understand how you, or anyone who agrees with you, could possibly call yourself responsible sportsmen when you let your rhetoric get in the way of keeping yourself, and others hunters around you, safe, especially when you don't have a single educated clue, as to what, why, or how, brought that little sticker, which infringes so much on your freedom, into practice. And your not even taking the time to educate yourself about it enough to have the ability to stay on topic, won't fly around here either with many of us! So, now that you understand this, you can go enjoy your hot cocoa, with the words "sportsman...NOT" on the cup, and pat yourself on the back for your poor attempt at trying to make a point about that "little green sticker", which, in reality, you know absolutely nothing about!

OMG...that sticker has nothing to do with you losing your freedoms or being pro gun, and has everything to do with helping you STAY SAFE, and keeping that in your brain, when turkey hunting. You know, Turkey Hunting? When hunters are in the woods in complete camo, sounding, in many cases, exactly like the game they're trying to kill! And you inaudible attempt to tag "gun control and being pro gun" into another talking point, rather then staying focus on the issue of safety, is just another tactic that guys like you practice to avoid having to stay focused on the real issue! And no, I don't understand how you, or anyone who agrees with you, could possibly call yourself responsible sportsmen when you let your rhetoric get in the way of keeping yourself, and others hunters around you, safe, especially when you don't have a single educated clue, as to what, why, or how, brought that little sticker, which infringes so much on your freedom, into practice. And your not even taking the time to educate yourself about it enough to have the ability to stay on topic, won't fly around here either with many of us! So, now that you understand this, you can go enjoy your hot cocoa, with the words "sportsman...NOT" on the cup, and pat yourself on the back for your poor attempt at trying to make a point about that "little green sticker", which, in reality, you know absolutely nothing about!
If you need a green sticker on your gun to remind you to stay safe you should not own any gun.

I'm going to have to disagree dawg. The sticker does absolutely nothing to increase safety - at all. It was a regulation placed on hunters by regulators who knew nothing about it and had never spent a day hunting in their lives...

It's an atypical liberal regulation. Based on good intentions, but is an emotional - rather than a fact-based - response to an issue they thought they needed to solve. That said, I can appreciate what the intentions were. But the regulation and results are a fail.
I'm sorry man, as you seem like an intelligent person. But on this topic, you're simply wrong. That sticker, had nothing to do with emotion, other than the fact that a man was killed during one of the first turkey hunting related accidents in Massachusetts. Back when the sport was new and little was known about how "Safe turkey hunting tactics lead to Successful turkey hunting!" And there so much more to tell about this story, which I absolutely could, but I won't, out of respect to the individuals and what we were facing back then when this incident happened. Unless you know about this, and the reality as to why those stickers were put into use, and how we received help and advice from another state who was already using them back then for the same exact reason, then you should tread lightly on what you say. Because this had nothing to do with freedoms, gun control, or emotions. This decision was made to keep turkey hunting moving forward in the state, during a time when we had to do something to show that we were working to keep this from happening, in this new hunting activity which was still foreign to most people at the time, in New England, and in a state that was, and still is for the most part, run by liberal anti hunting groups, politicians, and the lobbyists who work to enhance their causes.

If you need a green sticker on your gun to remind you to stay safe you should not own any gun.
In part I agree with you, but most people, and I can only assume that about you, aren't like you and I. Plus, new hunters are entering the turkey woods every single year. And they need to be taught and made aware that staying safe when hunting, anything, is a part of being a good and responsible hunter. And this sticker helps them with that, while continually reminding us to do the same thing, hopefully, for as long as the sweet sounds of an old boss gobbler fills the New England woods on an early springtime morning!

Yeah, because I look right at the receiver of my shotgun to remind me of things.🙄
A sticker on a gun isn’t going to make ANYONE safer. It’s more a form of revenue enhancement than anything.
In a completely unrelated note. Thanks for helping me get my sticker like 12 years ago when everyone was out. I still remember and appreciate it.
I'm sure it saved countless lives to boot

I would hate to think that a Hunter Ed Instructor, would ever hold anything up in a Hunter Ed Class, that is totally dedicated to safety when hunting, as a "bad idea"! The topic here goes beyond a sound shot! The topic is about IDENTIFYING YOUR TARGET before pulling the trigger! Sound shots are only a part of what "Identifying your target" is all about! And if you as a Hunter Ed instructor don't know the A,B,C's of identifying your target before taking the shot, then I believe I'd think long and hard about what it is your doing in these classes, and what it is your teaching these new hunters that are looking to you for help and guidance!

In a completely unrelated note. Thanks for helping me get my sticker like 12 years ago when everyone was out. I still remember and appreciate it.
dgrafton: Trust me when I tell you that when this was implemented over 3 decades ago now, it had nothing to do with generating a revenue stream! Absolutely nothing! And it's simply ludicrous that you would make a statement like that without having factual information to back it up!

dgrafton: Trust me when I tell you that when this was implemented over 3 decades ago now, it had nothing to do with generating a revenue stream! Absolutely nothing! And it's simply ludicrous that you would make a statement like that without having factual information to back it up!

You replied to the wrong guy. But the sticker is stupid. Very stupid.

How did I miss the revival of this thread? It's great!

Yes

Just so you know......your coming off as a super fudd. NES is not going to be a fun place for you. Please.....stick around though.....this is going to be fun for us.
Yes whacko...it could be fun for me as well! So yes, thanks for the invite...I think I will stick around for a while!

You replied to the wrong guy. But the sticker is stupid. Very stupid.

How did I miss the revival of this thread? It's great!
Sorry that I replied to you by mistake. But now that you brought it up...no...the sticker is not stupid, or even very stupid! And the mere fact that you took the time to politely mention to me that I responded to the wrong person makes me think that I finally found someone on here that's reasonable and somewhat polite. So, it you ever really want to know why the sticker is not stupid, or retarded, or dumb, or any of the other mundane things that many on this site have referred to it as let me know...or better yet, refer to some of the replies I've made to others here about why and how they can say so much about something they truly know so little about. Thanks for the message!

I would hate to think that a Hunter Ed Instructor, would ever hold anything up in a Hunter Ed Class, that is totally dedicated to safety when hunting, as a "bad idea"! The topic here goes beyond a sound shot! The topic is about IDENTIFYING YOUR TARGET before pulling the trigger! Sound shots are only a part of what "Identifying your target" is all about! And if you as a Hunter Ed instructor don't know the A,B,C's of identifying your target before taking the shot, then I believe I'd think long and hard about what it is your doing in these classes, and what it is your teaching these new hunters that are looking to you for help and guidance!
The "Bad Idea" to which I referred, was to be walking around, in camo, calling.

If you'll look at the quote in post 43, you'll see the language I was responding to, bolded.

We advise that you wear at least partial Hunter Orange, when walking in, and out, and to never have any part of a harvested bird showing, when walking out. This is the sort of thing that we recommend:

Yes, I know about identifying one's target, and what lies beyond. I and the others that I work with make the necessity of this very clear. However, not all hunters in the woods have taken a HE course from the venue where I teach, and I can't vouch for other classes' content, though I'd hope that it's consistent with best practices.

Almost all persons hunting in the woods have taken a HE course; not all of them absorb all of the info presented. So, yes, I stand by my statement that if you're dumb enough to take a "sound shot" or a shot at a target that is not positively identified, a green sticker is not likely to change your mind.

ETA: YK, your posts 48 and 50 indicate that you have at least somewhat extensive background knowledge of the implementation of the green stickers. You've been here about 2 weeks, and have a dozen posts. If you provide some background on yourself, and a sketch of how you have this special knowledge, it will go to establish your bone fides.

I and, many others here, are always looking to learn. I, and many others here want the person that has a strong opinion to be able to show why their opinion should carry weight. If you have pertinent information, please present it.

ETA: Post number was incorrect, apologies

Though I will say, that you do have some street cred in the snarky post department.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom