WHY?

Why do all the good gun stores close so EARLY! And WHY are they all closed on my 2 days off?!?! The only 2 stores that I know, and have heard good things about are Zero Hour and Four Seasons....anyone know of any other good places, with a good selection within an 45 minutes- hour of Boston....

What are you looking for? Check out the classifieds here you might find what you want and save a few $ while your at it.
I went to Acme Armament, it's a ride for me but well worth it, Adam is great to deal with and his prices are fair. I will be going back.

Last edited:
The closest one to you is Roach's in Cambridge. Joe's a nice guy and they have a good selection. I don't know exactly why they are never brought up here. They are open Monday through Saturday.

Blue NOrthern is open every day except Monday.

Why do all the good gun stores close so EARLY!

FWIW FS is open till 8 PM on Thursday nights, IIRC. Northshore Firearms in Middleton is also open till 7 PM on Thursday as well.

Riley's in Hooksett NH is also open on SUNDAYS, so that might help you out a bit, although they're probably a bit over an hour from Boston depending on the traffic on 93.

I also 2nd Derek's prod to MFL..... probably under an hour with minimal
traffic. If you use the range though, watch yourself, typical pay range
users found there, but that kinda goes without saying.

-Mike

AG gun in lowell, is ok but I think his prices are a little steep on everything.

MFL is where I go shoot...but if I buy there, can I take it with me? Haven't been there in a few weeks

drgrant: I was a "typical" pay range user for a while... You feel safe when your ignorant...the more I learned, the more leery I've been to go back. I notice a lot of couples there...guys showing their girlfriends/wives how to shoot...that doesn't make me safe AT ALL.. I am currently on the hunt for a club to join.

Last edited:
Roach's is a bit pricey on what handguns they do have... And I wouldn't say they have a "good" selection.... it's pretty bare these days compared to FS or ZHA. But those guys are great though.

Collectors is fantastic.

And yes, on Thursdays, FS, Roach's, ZHA, Collectors... are all open until 8pm.

If I were you... I'd take off from work a bit early on Thursday... and hit up FS, Collectors, Roach's if you want, then down to ZHA.

Price-wise between the 4 shops... it's hard to beat FS... Collectors is a close second...

Having the best selection... FS and Collectors will have a great selection of the standard stuff... but ZHA will have the goodies that most other stores don't have.

AG gun in lowell, is ok but I think his prices are a little steep on everything.

When last I shopped there, they had the best handgun prices I've seen in MA, but the ammo prices were ridiculous. Also, don't take their legal advice.

Visit John at C&F Guns in Middleborough. He's open 'til 5 Mon-Sat and open late 'til 8 on Thursday nights. To be completely honest most guys that work at gun stores or gun store owners really annoy the hell out of me or just rub me the wrong way. I've actually become pretty good friends with John and to me that says a lot about his business ethics and practices.

When last I shopped there, they had the best handgun prices I've seen in MA, but the ammo prices were ridiculous. Also, don't take their legal advice.
This. They have very competitive prices on new handguns, but everything else is way too expensive.

I've heard this too. I've run into more than one cheapskate at the range that went to A+G to save $10 on a sigma or whatever. I don't think anyone really beats their prices, although Carl @ FS will usually match if they're lower, depending on what it is.

-Mike

I've scheduled an extra employee for tomorrow so I can take off. I'm gonna head to ZHA first..I definately want some goodies!!! Something tells me my wife isn't gonna be very happy tomorrow night!

Someone paid me back some money I loaned them a WHILE ago..my budget just got bigger :)

Hey Boston what are you looking for BTW

Just drive up 28, there is one shop just over the MA border, another one up past exit 2, a couple up in Derry (neither one is very good but they are there) over to Rt 93 and you can hit MFL and Rileys,

Collectors in Pelham is a quaint little shop to visit if you are in the area.

MFL is where I go shoot...but if I buy there, can I take it with me? Haven't been there in a few weeks

drgrant: I was a "typical" pay range user for a while... You feel safe when your ignorant...the more I learned, the more leery I've been to go back. I notice a lot of couples there...guys showing their girlfriends/wives how to shoot...that doesn't make me safe AT ALL.. I am currently on the hunt for a club to join.

I did the same thing, shooting at Manch Firing Line or Bob's tactical. I live about 12 miles north of the boston, and eventually settled on Mystic Valley Gun club.

Trying getting to FS or Northshore Firearms on Thursday. I work right down the street from FS but usually try to go on Thursday so I don't have to go in late or leave early but I have snuck out of work to go there then come back before [grin]. Its nice they have a late night though.

Just curious what are you looking to buy. Are you looking to buy new or used? If your looking to buy used check out the classifieds here. You'll save money on the gun and don't have to pay sales tax. I saw in another thread you just got you license so i can understand if you want to go to a shop to look around and do the first transfer via FFL. I did the same thing but once I did my first FA-10 I don't think I'll buy another gun at a dealer unless its a REALLY good deal or brand new.

Last edited:
I hate that most of the shops have their late hours on Thursdays, the one night of the week I'm always busy.

Well, I'm not saying that you shouldn't get quality stuff, but sometimes quality stuff at store A and the exact same quality stuff at store B can come with different prices...

Yeah, get a good cleaning kit. Also get yourself a good carrying case. I would recommend a nice 2 rifle carrying case. More than likely you will carry your handgun concealed when you go to the range. EVen if you get a few more handguns you can find them in the same case as the rifles if you always plan on bringing those to the range too.

What kind of handguns are you considering? Glock, Sig, S&W, Walther, not sure?

I honestly recommend a nice quality holster too. Something like an MTAC. CTAC, VMII, desantis makes some decent pocket holsters. Its been my finding at least at the shops local to me, that they don't carry nice quality holsters.

The closest one to you is Roach's in Cambridge. Joe's a nice guy and they have a good selection. I don't know exactly why they are never brought up here. They are open Monday through Saturday.

I live about a 10 minute walk from Roach's. It's a fine store, but their prices are very high compared to everywhere else (Four Seasons and Collectors at least), on both guns and ammo. If I need to pick up something small that doesn't merit a trip up to Four Seasons, then I love having them close by. I'd love to support them by buying guns there, but I can't really afford the prices that they're charging when I can drive 20 minutes and save money.

Ideally, my shopping list is:

1 Handgun
1 Rifle
1 Shotgun
1 Holster
X Ammo

Anything else I should be considering?

Don't spend all your money in one place necessarily. If they have everything you want at the right prices then ok go for it, but I bet you get better deals on your wish list items if you shop around.

don't expect to get a good holster at a gun shop. hit or miss, usually miss. Get a good handgun for carry, then go online to get a holster.

I very highly recommend the M-TAC from comp-tac for an IWB carry holster. I have one for my sig p229 and fullsize M&P40 and i can make them easily disapear under a T-shirt. The milt sparks VMII is a good IWB job too. I have that for my P229 and it's quality but I still find myself using the MTAC more.

I know a lot of others here will vouch for the MTAC as well.

Back
Top Bottom