• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why you should never EVER EVER buy an EoTech.

I'm surprised so many don't see Don's point.
Technologies that enable the police state are irksome, to say the least.

Logging & tracking EVERY SINGLE plate in view all day every day and storing and saving all that info IS an invasion of privacy, whether some corrupt judge agrees or not

Companies that further this type of behavior are every bit as much enemies of liberty as the JBTs that use it.

AA

Aaron[MA];4321901 said:
I'm surprised so many don't see Don's point.
Technologies that enable the police state are irksome, to say the least.

Logging & tracking EVERY SINGLE plate in view all day every day and storing and saving all that info IS an invasion of privacy, whether some corrupt judge agrees or not

Companies that further this type of behavior are every bit as much enemies of liberty as the JBTs that use it.

AA
Technology is unstoppable in the long run. What can be controlled is how that technology is used.

As an example, where I grew up traffic monitoring cameras could be used to issue tickets. Here in MA they cannot. It's not about the tech, it's about controlling government use of tech.

So if a cop was driving through the parking lots of gunshows and shooting ranges with this technology,would all you statist types still be singing the praises of cops scanning plates to catch criminals ?
Maybe I missed it. I haven't seen a single post on here happy about license plate scanners. The only disagreement is over whether the technology should be banned or the usage should be banned.

We all know the main reason for readers is NOT finding criminals. It's so they can use the GPS data to track everyone's movements and create databases of movement for everyone.

If you don't see that you're a blind idiot.

If you don't recognize the immediate danger of the gov't having that kind of knowledge you're an even bigger idiot.

So if a cop was driving through the parking lots of gunshows and shooting ranges with this technology,would all you statist types still be singing the praises of cops scanning plates to catch criminals ?

So, if I don't boycott EoTech's now I'm a statist? Who knew?

Do I boycott S&W/Glock/Sig/etc. now because criminals use guns? Or do I get to believe it's not the technology, it's now it's used? And all technology can be misused.

Naked body scanners at the airport in Las Vegas also had big L3 Communications logos on them... I am not a fan, eotechs blow compared to aimpoint anyways so I'll ride along on the boycott.

- - - Updated - - -

Why can't L3 spend all that money on r/d for better battery life on eotech's.

Psssst... Aimpoint

I do however admire the gun companies that refuse to sell to law enforcement in states where the citizens are not afforded the same rights.

This, I still have the list who cut off ban state LEOs and buy from them as much as I can.

Matching against a hotlist is one thing. Uploading the day's reads of innocent people to a centralized system and the storage is what I have a problem with. It also states the patterning abilities in the video. I'm sure all you supporters of this tech have no problem being under constant surveillance though. Another brick in the wall.

Matching against a hotlist is one thing. Uploading the day's reads of innocent people to a centralized system and the storage is what I have a problem with. It also states the patterning abilities in the video. I'm sure all you supporters of this tech have no problem being under constant surveillance though. Another brick in the wall.

A private citizen with a dash cam and a laptop with the proper software can do the same thing. Ban dashcams.

That said the .gov should not be saving data of persons not actively being investigated for criminal activity. Joe schmoes data should be deleted.

Anybody here use EZ-PASS like I do? Do you realize that they have scanners for those things set up in areas other than toll plazas? It's a little tracker in your car, but it is a very nice convenience. Do we ban toll responders, or do we ban government use of toll responders for non-toll related car tracking? I say we tie the government's hands, and keep enjoying the conveniences of modern technology.

A private citizen with a dash cam and a laptop with the proper software can do the same thing. Ban dashcams.

That said the .gov should not be saving data of persons not actively being investigated for criminal activity. Joe schmoes data should be deleted.

Not the same thing. Not even in the same universe.

Private citizens don't hold police power over you. They can't raid your house. They can't arrest you under the guise of "law".

Anybody here use EZ-PASS like I do? Do you realize that they have scanners for those things set up in areas other than toll plazas? It's a little tracker in your car, but it is a very nice convenience. Do we ban toll responders, or do we ban government use of toll responders for non-toll related car tracking? I say we tie the government's hands, and keep enjoying the conveniences of modern technology.

That is specifically why we will never have those in our cars. That, and the fact that they can easily be used to determine your speed for purposes of issuing a ticket. No thanks, I don't care how much convenience it might add.

That is specifically why we will never have those in our cars. That, and the fact that they can easily be used to determine your speed for purposes of issuing a ticket. No thanks, I don't care how much convenience it might add.

I'm not saying that people should be forced to use convenient pieces of technology. I'm just saying that people shouldn't need to forgo conveniences. The government should be the one inconvenienced, not citizens.

Private citizens don't hold police power over you. They can't raid your house. They can't arrest you under the guise of "law".

No, they don't have powers of arrest, but if you think a bit deeper, that info could be used for tracking, and profiling for nefarious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying that people should be forced to use convenient pieces of technology. I'm just saying that people shouldn't need to forgo conveniences. The government should be the one inconvenienced, not citizens.

Ok, gotcha, that makes sense.

That is why the data should be deleted of those not being actively investigated. Use the program to only alert/ record when wanted plates come up and I dont see the issue. Its in public afterall, you already have a tracking device on your car and have for decades, that tech is your license plate. All it would be doing is doing what cops already do a bit faster and more efficiently.

That is why the data should be deleted of those not being actively investigated. Use the program to only alert/ record when wanted plates come up and I dont see the issue. Its in public afterall, you already have a tracking device on your car and have for decades, that tech is your license plate. All it would be doing is doing what cops already do a bit faster and more efficiently.

We've had this discussion before. I'm against license plates, drivers licenses and SS#s as well. Or any form of ID besides voluntarily getting a passport to travel outside the country.

Governemnt should not be able to scan or collect anything without a warrant unless the officer physically sees a crime being committed or one is reported in progress, period. This includes everything viewable by citizens in public.

Technology is unstoppable in the long run. What can be controlled is how that technology is used.

As an example, where I grew up traffic monitoring cameras could be used to issue tickets. Here in MA they cannot. It's not about the tech, it's about controlling government use of tech.

I guess I don't necessarily consider this an advancement in technology. Its aggregating existing technology for the sole purpose of making it infinitely easier for the gov't to invade privacy and track EVERYONE.

So, serious question: who should be contacted to discuss limiting the gov't use of this "technology" - like specifically in MA, who could submit a bill to block PD's from keeping the data?

We've had this discussion before. I'm against license plates, drivers licenses and SS#s as well. Or any form of ID besides voluntarily getting a passport to travel outside the country.

Governemnt should not be able to scan or collect anything without a warrant unless the officer physically sees a crime being committed or one is reported in progress, period. This includes everything viewable by citizens in public.

I too believe in no IDs, but I would extend that to passports as well.

Fighting license plates is a more logical place to start. This prodict is merely a natural result of their existance. All this tech does is expand officers awareness and consumption of plates/ their data.

Aaron[MA];4322304 said:
I guess I don't necessarily consider this an advancement in technology. Its aggregating existing technology for the sole purpose of making it infinitely easier for the gov't to invade privacy and track EVERYONE.

So, serious question: who should be contacted to discuss limiting the gov't use of this "technology" - like specifically in MA, who could submit a bill to block PD's from keeping the data?
Your state rep and state senator. Good luck getting anywhere with legislators in this state though - it's for your own good man! The police are just keeping us all safe, you should thank them for their work and not grumble about the little things.

I don't believe in opposing technology, I only agree with opposing government use of technology. If you don't think police officers should track license plates, then there should be a law or something of that nature to prevent them from using license plate trackers.

That might make sense for something like a gun, but ALPR technology is DESIGNED to infringe your rights. There is no misuse. Did you even watch the video. The company touts how the LEO can drive through a parking lot and scan every car he drives by.

Then lobby your state legislative body to BAN THE USE OF THEM BY THE GOVERNMENT. NH bans the state government (and any political subdivision, meaning towns/cities and all police) from using license plate scanners. In fact, the statists in the house tried to repeal that ban and it was resolutely defeated last session.

Meh.

I'm more worried about why L3 doesn't give a good employee discount on EoTechs...

Sig employees get a sweet deal. 30% Eotech sights and one sight per year can be had for 50% off.

if i wasn't at work right now i'd be trying to crank an eotech onto my glock. i might still do it when i go home if this thread is sell a thing then.

Ban Eotech, and Glocks, and any other item that has been misused by those in power...... for the children.....[rolleyes]

After all, inanimate objects are obviously to blame.

I saw a whole bunch of m4 type rifles with all sorts of sights strapped to them shoot up a boat outside of Boston with a single moron inside while a number of atrocities against freedom where commited. Has the OP taken an itemized list of their gear to know not what to buy as well?

Back
Top Bottom