Why throw away the box your handgun came in?

I never throw out the plastic cases, as they can be used for transport and definitely should go with the gun if the gun is sold.

Believe it or not, not every place has the crime that Boston metro does.

Why tempt fate.

Thugs from Providence, Manchester (NH), Brockton, Springfield, Boston, etc. steal wheels and travel to nicer communities to rob homes. That's old news.

No need to advertise to the world what new toys you bought, whether it be guns or a nice large flat-panel TV.

That's my two-cents, anyway.

Good heavens!!!

This paranoia is amazing.

But not unfounded...dumpster diving is one of the best intelligence collection tools we have whether we live in Massachusetts or Ohio and on this one I speak from personal experience [wink]. It's something that both the good guys and the bad guys use to collect information. It's not paranoid it's just a good security practice like shredding your credit card statements or bank statements, for instance.

Gun boxes are collectable and the resale value of almost any firearm is enhanced with the original box, tools, and manuals etc.

Mark056

Last edited:
You're confusing "paranoia" with excercising a bit of caution and preventative crime measures.

Unless you think advertising to thieves that you have firearms in the house is nothing to be concerned about?

FWIW... the same advice applies to throwing away boxes for anything that might have value to a thief (home electronics, camera equipment, etc).

I have to admit I'm a
tinfoilhatsmile.gif
tin foil kid. I shred everything, and would destroy anything of "interest" before trashing it. But, i'm also a pack rat, so... chances of it getting thrown out are slim to nil in the first place

I'm terrible...... I keep the boxes for EVERYTHING! on the plus side its made me a lot of money when I resell stuff, on the down side I have NO room in my attic!

Its common sense really, original boxes (and papers/tools) add value and increase desirability. I won’t pass on an old Smith that doesn’t have its box but given the choice I’ll purchase the gun that’s complete with box and tools than the gun alone.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I have several Firearms that I never plan on selling. If I where to put them all (boxes) in the corner of my house for 5-15 years. I could calculate how much that would cost / per year/ sq/ft. After I sold the gun and deducted the increase value. I would be a net loss.

So no! I would only save a collectible / box etc.

I toss all the boxes except good pistol cases and of all the firearms I've sold, traded etc. not once did anyone ever ask me if I had the box.

I keep every box and look for guns that have them.

Look on ebay. Boxes can and do bring BIG money...sometimes hundreds of dollars.

This box adds $200+ to the price of the gun.

dhcase%20800x448.jpg

dh%20688x640.jpg

Each of these add probably $50 to the value:

28andboxxx%20800x684.jpg

19_3box%20800x621.jpg

Even this one in pretty bad shape will add $25 to the value of the gun:

rightsidedark%20800x599.jpg

Older card board boxes are bringing big big bucks for older SW, Colt, Ruger , especially...and not just for really rare guns. I suspect just because there are many people, like on this forum, who throw them away. As time goes by, they get scarce.

Last edited:
I've never sold a gun OR saved a box. .... I've never bought a gun ( or knife ) or tool of any kind - without the intent to make it "go."

I do not see firearms as " that kind " of investment.

I have several Firearms that I never plan on selling. If I where to put them all (boxes) in the corner of my house for 5-15 years. I could calculate how much that would cost / per year/ sq/ft. After I sold the gun and deducted the increase value. I would be a net loss.
So no! I would only save a collectible / box etc.
There is no cost to save boxes if you have to pay for empty space anyway.
Most collectibles were not collectibles when they were new. It's sort of like baseball cards and stamps, they only are of significant value when they are very old and/or unique.

But I can certainly understand why one wouldn't want to make the effort.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Never bought too many firearms that came with the packaging but kept the original packing from the few that did.
I have the original factory box for my early 80s Polytech sidefolder and one of my Dan Wesson .44 revolvers.
They dont take up much space in the attic.
Anyone wanna buy a Polytech box or an early 80s Dan Wesson styro clamshell box?[grin]

Never bought too many firearms that came with the packaging but kept the original packing from the few that did.
I have the original factory box for my early 80s Polytech sidefolder and one of my Dan Wesson .44 revolvers.
They dont take up much space in the attic.
Anyone wanna buy a Polytech box or an early 80s Dan Wesson styro clamshell box?[grin]

This sounds weird, but there is probably a Dan Wesson collector out there that would like the box and would be willing to pay for it. The issue becomes, how do you line up the merchandise with a buyer?

Mark056

I keep any cases/boxes that are useful for transportation and storage. I also keep all original documentation and sales receipts. I like to look it all over from time to time

As far as expensive electronics and such I keep the original boxes, packaging, documentation and receipts for as long as the warranty lasts. After that it's fire starting material.

The box from my safe is great for keeping my skin and clothes off the ground when I'm changing the oil in my truck.

Other than the above it immediatelly goes in the recycle bin or trash accordingly.

I keep all the boxes, plastic or card board, for guns, stereo, musical gear etc.. By throwing away the boxes you are basically throwing away money and or sellability.

Although we almost always go into a new purchase with the expectation that this one will be THE one that we will keep forever, things change (as evidenced by all of our safes).

Even though you may not be a collector, your potential buyer for that item down the road may be. And more often than not, the orig packaging becomes the deciding factor as to if that person will buy your item or not, or if you get your asking price or not.

On the dealer side.. Although, not a rule by any means. The perception is generally that a person that hangs onto all of the packaging generally takes better care of their stuff. It is also much more attractive to a potential buyer, making that item easier for the broker to sell.

If you throw the boxes away, you are throwing money away.

Its common sense really, original boxes (and papers/tools) add value and increase desirability. I won’t pass on an old Smith that doesn’t have its box but given the choice I’ll purchase the gun that’s complete with box and tools than the gun alone.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Depends on what the gun is. If it's a gun that's common and made in the past 10 years or so, I don't really see it affecting the price that much.

I've bought a lot of used handguns and whether they came with a box or not was never really a consideration. Whenever I sell anything it is
nice to be able to give the buyer a box though, so that's the only reason I keep the ones that aren't shot to crap.

-Mike

I see factory guns as nothing more than a collection of parts that need fixing. Most of the guns I own have been butchered as they come from the factory. Any buyer would probably care less about the box.

B

Many years ago I was trading in a pistol for another pistol. The sales guy looking it over with a fine tooth comb (only fired less than 100 rounds) for around 10 mins. asked me if I had the original box as it's worth more with it. I said yes, but it at home, if you want I'll go home and bring it back to you. Fine he said. Upon bringing the box back I was expecting a modest increase in it's trade value that I didn't get. I asked him, hey, you said with the box it's worth more. He said, it is, to me when I sell it! Oh, I don't think so, forget about the trade in and you just lost a customer and I walked out.

I still save the boxes as if I sell a gun it helps a great deal when I have to ship it to a buyers FFL.

I see factory guns as nothing more than a collection of parts that need fixing. Most of the guns I own have been butchered as they come from the factory. Any buyer would probably care less about the box.

B

I know the feeling. Mainly with Colt pistols. Back in the '70's & '80's I bought 3 brand new Colts. A SAA, Government Model 45 and a Gold Cup 45. All 3 had to be repaired for various reasons. I've never bought another Colt pistol since.

Edit: I did buy a Colt Cowboy revolver that I've never fired just before the ban went into effect.

Last edited:
I have to admit I'm a
tinfoilhatsmile.gif
tin foil kid. I shred everything, and would destroy anything of "interest" before trashing it. But, i'm also a pack rat, so... chances of it getting thrown out are slim to nil in the first place

where do you get those awesome emoticons??

The only time I think about the box is when I'm buying the gun. I make it a point to ask, "do you have the box and original papers", and when told "No" I put on a thoughtful face for 30 seconds. Sometimes it works to get a lower price, but if I'm asking about the box, I'm usually done for and am buying the gun anyway. If it has the box, I throw it in the shed, just in case, but don't really care one way or the other.

The box isn't a big deal to me. I'm never going to use it, and it just takes up unnecessary space. Unless the gun is a definate collectors piece that is not for shooting, I won't want the box. Besides, I can find better deals on neat old guns without the box. These loons that keep the box on a gun that they shoot, like to charge more. It is silly to me. To each his own.

I have every last box with the exception of the CMP ones. (^_^)

I even have some really nice vintage cardboard S&W boxes complete with the original instruction sheet (one page manual) and cleaning tool. Oh yea, and I have the revolvers that came in 'em too, but they are kept in the safe. (^_^)

If you read Gun's and Ammo, you know they have a section called "Identification and Gun Values". I very often see the author mention that if the gun in question still had the original box and paperwork that it could be worth more, sometimes several hundred dollars more. I don't understand it completely, but it seems that most collectors put a high dollar value on the original packaging and paperwork.

Personally, I keep all my boxes when I buy a gun that actually comes in a box, and all the paperwork too. I figure if I ever need to sell it and the box brings even $5 extra, it was worth the minimal hassle of keeping it.
Kenny

A general +1.
And the same goes for most of the (other) collectible toys out there as well.
It is basically thought that a collectible piece which still has an original box with it will be in better condition than one without.

Back
Top Bottom