Why throw away the box your handgun came in?

I am not the neatest guy, nor am I a packrat, so I don't keep a lot of excess stuff, but I just don't understand why someone would throw out the original packaging for a firearm.

Asking this because I do see some items sold that are not that old, say just a few years old, but with no original box. Means someone tossed it purposely or was lost.

Just curious, how many people actually throw out the packaging for the handguns they buy, and is there any reason not to keep it?

The guns I bought with the box, I still have the box. Guns I bought without a box, I don't have the box.

The only gun I bought with a box that I might (would need to check) not have the box is my Remington 700, but it doesn't match the box any more anyway.

I am not the neatest guy, nor am I a packrat, so I don't keep a lot of excess stuff, but I just don't understand why someone would throw out the original packaging for a firearm.

Asking this because I do see some items sold that are not that old, say just a few years old, but with no original box. Means someone tossed it purposely or was lost.

Just curious, how many people actually throw out the packaging for the handguns they buy, and is there any reason not to keep it?

Glocks used to come in a useless container best described as tupperware. This wasn't the clamshell lock tab case they come in now that actually could present a challenge to a child. No this was some complete piece of crap sandwich bin tupperware that oddly had a hole in the middle. You could put a lock through it, if you had a lock long enough, but it wouldn't prevent someone from undoing the lid, rotating it, and going after the rest of the container with a pair of scissors.

And yet I still have that thing.

Some older Colt firearms came in this really shitty cardboard sleeve with a styrofoam clamshell insert. Usually by the time you get one of those the whole box is tattered to bits, so it makes more sense to just throw it away unless by some miracle it's in good shape.

I keep all the other ones, though.

A possible reason why no box exists is the person who bought it got it used. A lot of guns that get brought into gun stores for trade in come in without any of the original packaging.

It's not that big of a deal to me, really. The only time I ever think the box adds value is if it is a special or collectors edition box.

-Mike

It's not that big of a deal to me, really. The only time I ever think the box adds value is if it is a special or collectors edition box.

-Mike

I think I agree with this. However, if it's true, why do shops make such a deal out of "comes with all original packaging" or "In original box"?

If I found what I was looking for at a good price and it didn't have the box, I don't think it'd stop me from buying it, but I would think about it for a second (probably when they started packing it up as I don't know if I would think to ask if it comes with it otherwise).

The fetish of buying guns with the original packaging is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Unless the box was something special, like a shadowed presentation box, I don't care.

I hate the boxes. They take up alot of space, but for some unkown reason I keep them. I can't figure myself out sometimes.

boxes

Its the new age.no one kept the boxes yrs ago,unless they just put gun and box in drawer and left it.the gun was there to use,the box useless.its all about the new "collectable"you only want to get something that you can sell
later.that was never a thought in the past.60 yrs ago.

If you read Gun's and Ammo, you know they have a section called "Identification and Gun Values". I very often see the author mention that if the gun in question still had the original box and paperwork that it could be worth more, sometimes several hundred dollars more. I don't understand it completely, but it seems that most collectors put a high dollar value on the original packaging and paperwork.

Personally, I keep all my boxes when I buy a gun that actually comes in a box, and all the paperwork too. I figure if I ever need to sell it and the box brings even $5 extra, it was worth the minimal hassle of keeping it.
Kenny

IMO The a firearm in the box is a closer representation of how it came from the factory. Its like anything else. Who the hell knew that piece of cardboard would be worth hundreds. Try to piece together an old car, then realize how much money was tossed away years ago cause noone knew.
That being said, I keep my boxes but think its ridiculous. Then again I'm not a collector

The guns I bought with the box, I still have the box. Guns I bought without a box, I don't have the box..

Pretty much. I have a few used with no box but kept the big plastic suitcases my S&W's came in. I also have the cardboard box my 41 came in.

I keep all my boxes, not to retain any collectors value, but just because I'm a pack-rat.

I would suggest though that if anyone does toss the boxes, that they break them down good, cut them up, bury them in the bottom of the trash bag... leaving something like a discarded Bushmaster box out in open view in the trash is just inviting trouble.

I would suggest though that if anyone does toss the boxes, that they break them down good, cut them up, bury them in the bottom of the trash bag... leaving something like a discarded Bushmaster box out in open view in the trash is just inviting trouble.

Good heavens!!!

This paranoia is amazing.

Good heavens!!!

This paranoia is amazing.

You're confusing "paranoia" with excercising a bit of caution and preventative crime measures.

Unless you think advertising to thieves that you have firearms in the house is nothing to be concerned about?

FWIW... the same advice applies to throwing away boxes for anything that might have value to a thief (home electronics, camera equipment, etc).

Last edited:
Some older Colt firearms came in this really shitty cardboard sleeve with a styrofoam clamshell insert.

The only time I ever think the box adds value is if it is a special or collectors edition box.

It would surprise you what is considered "collectible"! It surprised me but the original cardboard/Styrofoam box that my late 1970s Colt 45 came in (new) would have added ~$100 to the value (I was told) when I sold that gun back ~2000! [I had thrown it out years earlier.]

If you read Gun's and Ammo, you know they have a section called "Identification and Gun Values". I very often see the author mention that if the gun in question still had the original box and paperwork that it could be worth more, sometimes several hundred dollars more. I don't understand it completely, but it seems that most collectors put a high dollar value on the original packaging and paperwork.

Personally, I keep all my boxes when I buy a gun that actually comes in a box, and all the paperwork too. I figure if I ever need to sell it and the box brings even $5 extra, it was worth the minimal hassle of keeping it.
Kenny

Guns by S&W come with various options. The box ends ID all those options whereas no other markings do so. Also collectors of S&W guns pay many $100s more for the gun in the box and in fact buy empty boxes for $100s too.

After watching our recycle folks picking thru my bags/boxes of magazines when I did a massive cleanup, NO I do not want them knowing that I have guns, a new computer or a new TV!! I dispose of such things by cutting up the cardboard and bringing it to the paper/cardboard dumpster that is left by our DPW. Nobody goes thru that stuff.

Yes, B&E actors do scout out places to hit and thus boxes might entice them to visit your home. No thanks.

Guns go in the safe, boxes are stacked on top of the safe. But then again I've also saved the box from most everything I've bought from computers to Lego over the past few years, which you can find all of them in my closet.

fenway, i often wonder the same thing you do.

often, people come in to gun stores to trade in their used pistols. i would say over half of the time either the box is missing or the box and all of the original accessories, in some cases the spare mags that it came with are gone. it really lowers the value of the trade in, in my opinion. especialy for older firearms.

Plastic cases I keep (never know when an extra locking box will come in handy), cardboard boxes I toss.
As far as adding value to an item, if I'm in my favorite gun shop and they have two of a model I'm looking at one with box one without, I'll buy the one with the box as long as it doesn't cost more (yup, I'm a cheap prick). So IMHO the box is worthless, those who are collectors will likely disagree, more power too them.

You're confusing "paranoia" with excercising a bit of caution and preventative crime measures.

Unless you think advertising to thieves that you have firearms in the house is nothing to be concerned about?

FWIW... the same advice applies to throwing away boxes for anything that might have value to a thief (home electronics, camera equipment, etc).

Believe it or not, not every place has the crime that Boston metro does.

Back
Top Bottom