• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why Should I Have an NFA Trust Drafted by a MA Attorney?

I'm getting ready to establish an NFA trust and am curious why, as a MA resident, it is recommended that I use a MA attorney familiar with MA firearms law?

These trusts are for Federally regulated items, so I'm not sure how/where knowledge of MA gun laws comes into play.

If the trust is 'MA-centric', what happens when I move?

It really isn't MA centric but there are issues in the trust that you might want to consider being from MA. One example would be that benificiaries of the trust must be legally able to take possession of the property in the trust if need be. In MA this would mean that they would need a LTC-A for SBR's, SBS's, AOW's, etc and would need a MG permit if any MG's are in the trust. If you have MG's in the trust and the benificiaries or other trustees don't have the proper licenses then it might be possible for them (state or .gove) to invalidate the trust due to this. In this case a MA lawyer might have better knowledge of the subject than a lawyer out-of-state.

The fed laws are the same, but the trust itself will be interpreted under MA state law. You want someone who knows the relevant law in MA to draft it.

I would think there's a business opportunity for someone to commission forms for each state and sell them. Not sure if its already been done.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

So that brings up my next question...

I don't plan on living in this crap-hole much longer, so how does that impact a trust that was drawn up here? Would it have to be modified when I got to my new destination? Would that cause issues with items already in the trust?

The prices I'm being quoted in MA are in the $700-900 range.
In the state I will be moving to I'm looking at $200-300.

That's a big swing...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom