• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why no long action AR upper assemblies available

So, I am thinking of building an AR by next hunting season. I know very little about AR's.

I searched around on the internet and they only sell short action upper assemblies (I know all AR10's are short action). What is the reason that no long action upper assemblies (or lower assemblies) are commercially available?

I would really like to build a 30-06 AR semi-auto so I can use all the 30-06 ammo I have lying around. But that doesn't seem like an option.

Thanks.

If you have enough money, someone would make one for you from a block of steel.

But I would have to get both a custom lower and a custom upper and probably everything else custom including magazines.

It just struck me as odd that no ARs in 30-06, 270, etc. were commercially available, and I was wondering if there was something about the AR platform that precludes a long action caliber.

Common sense.

A .270 or a .30-06 is a long cartridge. Much longer than can fit even in the magazine well of a AR-10 or LR-308. This would entail making an even larger lower receiver just to take the magazines if you're going for a semi-auto. If you're just going for a bolt gun, why even bother using the AR platform?

The AR platform was designed for two cartridges (the original AR-10 and of course the 5.56), and has been adapted to many others. It's not meant for traditional hunting-type rounds and trying to make such a rifle would likely create an overweight monstrosity.

Last edited:
Common sense.

A .270 or a .30-06 is a long cartridge. Much longer than can fit even in the magazine well of a AR-10 or LR-308. This would entail making an even larger lower receiver just to take the magazines if you're going for a semi-auto. If you're just going for a bolt gun, why even bother using the AR platform?

The AR platform was designed for two cartridges (the original AR-10 and of course the 5.56), and has been adapted to many others. It's not meant for traditional hunting-type rounds and trying to make such a rifle would likely create an overweight monstrosity.

I am amazed at how many people fail to understand this immediately.

I have heard idiots proclaim that you can put a .308 upper on an AR-15. No, you cannot. NFW.

Call me a fudd, but this has served my big game killing needs just fine over the years.

pic000.jpg

Looks good, is very accurate, relatively light, kills hard, and I can make follow up shots as fast as they need to be made.

As Fixxah said,if you have enough money someone will make you one but have you considered another military rifle in .30/06 to shoot up all that ammo? If you just want to play,you could get a semi auto Browning 1919.If you want something that looks more like a rifle,you could get a semi auto version of the Browning BAR. I think they're both around $2000.00.

The reason I posted the question is because the NSSF is trying to rehabilitate the image of the AR platform by releasing ads and promoting it as a hunting and sporting firearm. A huge number of people hunt with the 30-06, 270 and other traditional long action rounds. I am not implying that these are ballistically better than a .308 or other short action calibers.

The simple observation was it is odd that no one has gone that way. Thus, other than size and dimensions (which seems like something that could be easily overcome), it seems there is either no demand for it or there is something about the AR platform that precludes its use.

There are plenty of non-AR semi-autos out there in long action calibers (Bennelli R1, Browning BAR, Remy 7600, M1 Garand, etc.). So a semi-auto 30-06 is not per se impossible, but it does not seem to be commercially available in an AR platform.

Last edited:
Cobb Manufacturing was putting out some interesting rifles - note: Not uppers, but complete rifles. Since they were acquired by Bushmaster, I have not heard much. It appears however that the .338 Win Mag AR is still breathing...

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2900/2993.htm

Thanks for that post. The MCR300 is exactly what I was hoping to build. I will contact Bushmaster to see what is going on with them and the possibility of acquiring some parts to build one versus having to purchase a complete rifle.

A 338 Lapua Magnum in a semi-auto AR platform would be a phenomenal sniper rifle for the military and law enforcement.

Thanks for that post. The MCR300 is exactly what I was hoping to build. I will contact Bushmaster to see what is going on with them and the possibility of acquiring some parts to build one versus having to purchase a complete rifle.

A 338 Lapua Magnum in a semi-auto AR platform would be a phenomenal sniper rifle for the military and law enforcement.

No problem. I could not find the post over on M4C, (it's been a while), but a member there has an AR in .338 Win mag and uses it for antelope hunting....

Common sense.

Yup, the AR wasn't designed to do larger cartridges. From an engineering material stress standpoint you'd have to redesign the whole thing to be more beefed up all around... it would be huge.

The simple fact is that the dimensions of most of the cartridges you mention will require a new lower and a new upper designed to accomodate larger cartridges than even the AR-10 platform can handle. As a result, there are no uppers available on the market and trying to build one from parts isn't going to work unless you have the ability to machine your own receivers.

I fail to see the need for this. Why does LE need to defeat steel plate at 1500 meters? 10 rounds from a bolt gun not enough for you? Bolt guns are not that much slower. I just don't see the need for .416 Rigby or 358 mag in a ar[wink]
but by all means if you want one that is enough need right there.

The simple fact is that the dimensions of most of the cartridges you mention will require a new lower and a new upper designed to accomodate larger cartridges than even the AR-10 platform can handle. As a result, there are no uppers available on the market and trying to build one from parts isn't going to work unless you have the ability to machine your own receivers.

The particular point was that Cobb manufacturing does make lower receivers and upper receivers for a long action AR platform. What remains unknown is whether they will sell the parts for them or if you can only purchase a finished rifle for $2k+.

I fail to see the need for this. Why does LE need to defeat steel plate at 1500 meters? 10 rounds from a bolt gun not enough for you? Bolt guns are not that much slower. I just don't see the need for .416 Rigby or 358 mag in a ar[wink]
but by all means if you want one that is enough need right there.

I agree there isn't much advantage in a semi-auto AR platform versus a bolt from a sniping perspective.

I do think, however, if AR's were available in the more traditional calibers including long action and magnum calibers, they may gain more widespread adoption for hunting and sporting use as opposed to those evil uses you guys with AR15s and AR10s put them through.[wink]

Last edited:
O ok, I just read over the link quickly. Man I am still soar thinking about that and my wallet hurts now thinking about ammo cost.

They are never going to be used by big game hunters en mass because there are better rifles out there to do the job. AR10s weigh a lot and are unwieldy in comparison to a mauser style hunting rifle. I can't imagine humping one around in 30-06.

B

They are never going to be used by big game hunters en mass because there are better rifles out there to do the job. AR10s weigh a lot and are unwieldy in comparison to a mauser style hunting rifle. I can't imagine humping one around in 30-06.

B

+1

Where the AR shines as a hunting rifle as a varmint rifle with a bottomless magazine.

Between humping my CZ 550 and an AR-10 all ove the plains and hills of Kansas or the mountains of Colorado, it's a no brainer: bolt gun FTW.

Back
Top Bottom