• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do so many Americans keep dying in traffic accidents.

Im sure they can easily wiggle in ‘gun violence’ into the narrative and get a two for one. I didn’t give Yahoo the click. If you took distracted drivers and Formula 1 wannabe’s out of the equation, it would be as safe as air travel.

Why do so many Americans keep dying in traffic accidents.​

It used to be this:

a40e03b918d9d4239ce1854aff07716a.jpg

But nowadays that has shifted much more to this:

shutterstock_1047100399-624x416.jpg

And this:

depositphotos_84879750-stock-photo-women-typing-on-mobile-phones.jpg

Why do so many Americans keep dying getting eaten by sharks ?

Why do so many Americans keep dying getting struck by lightning ?

Why do so many Americans keep dying from smashing their thumb with a hammer ?

Just more single biased subjective skewed data BS .

I reject the question on principle. There are precious few automobile 'accidents.'

An accident is something the operator(s) have no control over. An Act of God. Think boulder falling off a cliff in your immediate path.

Speeding is not accidental. Distracted driving is not accidental. Failure to maintain your vehicle's brakes or tires is not accidental. Calling it an accident is, to me, an attempt to remove culpability. "Whoops! Just an accident. Sooooorry." Not too long ago down here, a distracted driver hit an elderly woman in a crosswalk in front of the hospital, and the news STILL called it an accident.

Young drivers need to know that actions have consequences. You don't get to just throw up your hands and say "not my fault. Just an accident." Nope. Most all of these 'accidents' should rightfully be called crashes. Crashes caused by the action or inaction of the operator(s). If you go to court after being held accountable, I can pretty much guarantee no lawyer in the courtroom will use the word 'accident.' Hammer this into the head of every student driver. There ARE NO ACCIDENTS. You WILL BE held accountable.

The MA RMV even got on-board with this a while back. I challenge anyone to find an "accident report form" on their website. You won't. It's rightfully called a 'Crash Report" now.

From the sourcelinked article:
“We face a crisis here in America,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told Yahoo News last month, pointing out that the number of people who died on the roads each year (42,795 in 2022) is comparable to the number killed by guns (48,830 in 2021).

Eff her. We know something like 66% of gun deaths are suicides. A very high percentage of the remainder are young people (of color) shooting other young people (of color) or similar criminal activity. A much smaller number of "gun deaths" are workplace shootings or domestic violence (murder-suicides, etc.). Then you've got your gay bar and school shooter "mass shootings" which are caused by mental defectives on SSRIs.

We have something like a half billion guns in this country, and untold trillions of rounds of ammo, in the hands of private citizens. A number far exceeding the number of cars and trucks. And all these guns supposedly have ONLY ONE PURPOSE -- To kill as many people as possible! If guns ARE designed to kill people and cars aren't, wouldn't it make sense that guns would be used to kill a shitload more people than cars? I think that says an awful lot about the restraint law-abiding good Americans have.

Last edited:
It used to be this:

a40e03b918d9d4239ce1854aff07716a.jpg

But nowadays that has shifted much more to this:

shutterstock_1047100399-624x416.jpg

And this:

depositphotos_84879750-stock-photo-women-typing-on-mobile-phones.jpg

Definitely teh last one for sure. On top of much higher speeds after the Pandemic. We are just driving faster. And people are worse drivers. Or maybe they are as bad as they were 20 years ago, but we're driving 10-15mph faster. Add in those stupid machines and you've got a recipe for disaster.

About 10 years ago, I was driving down 24 behind this girl who could not keep her lane. Like weaving all over. She almost drove into the abutment at the 195 split. She went right (dammit) and I continued to follow as I did NOT want to be next to her as she swerved. We both got off on the Pleasant St offramp. There was a traffic cop at the bottom of the ramp directing traffic. She was so dug into her phone, she bumped him. Fall River uses retired cops to do traffic detail. So he did NOT yank her out of the car. Damn. I'd have yanked her. How unclear was it that he was standing there?????

About 10 years ago, I was driving down 24 behind this girl who could not keep her lane. Like weaving all over. She almost drove into the abutment at the 195 split. She went right (dammit) and I continued to follow as I did NOT want to be next to her as she swerved. We both got off on the Pleasant St offramp. There was a traffic cop at the bottom of the ramp directing traffic. She was so dug into her phone, she bumped him. Fall River uses retired cops to do traffic detail. So he did NOT yank her out of the car. Damn. I'd have yanked her. How unclear was it that he was standing there?????
"Bumped him" as in collided with his body? ..."bumped him" as in hit his car?

Him. Like bumped his personal fat belly with her car. He lost his mind but in my thinking, dragging her out and beating her and her phone with a nightstick was in order. She was a menace on the road.

Him. Like bumped his personal fat belly with her car. He lost his mind but in my thinking, dragging her out and beating her and her phone with a nightstick was in order. She was a menace on the road.
Perhaps his calm demeanor was the result of realizing that the system, when provided with the knowledge she had caused a motor vehicle collision with a human (allegedly) who is also a law enforcement officer, could cause more and longer lasting damage than that beat down ever would, and that said beating would reduce his effectiveness in court?

Definitely teh last one for sure. On top of much higher speeds after the Pandemic. We are just driving faster.

I disagree. Shortly after the start of COVID, when so many started working from home, traffic during rush hour became dramatically less. My normal commute is partly on the Mass Pike. It takes me about an hour to go 15 miles. So you easily compute my average speed — 15 mph. Traffic on the Mass Pike is usually stop and go. While crashes often occur on the Mass Pike during rush hour, they are typically low speed accidents with no injuries.

However during the early part of COVID, there was no traffic on the Mass Pike. I could sail along at 75 mph on the Mass Pike. An accident at 75 mph is far, far more likely to result in a fatality than an accident at 20 mph.

I disagree. Shortly after the start of COVID, when so many started working from home, traffic during rush hour became dramatically less. My normal commute is partly on the Mass Pike. It takes me about an hour to go 15 miles. So you easily compute my average speed — 15 mph. Traffic on the Mass Pike is usually stop and go. While crashes often occur on the Mass Pike during rush hour, they are typically low speed accidents with no injuries.

However during the early part of COVID, there was no traffic on the Mass Pike. I could sail along at 75 mph on the Mass Pike. An accident at 75 mph is far, far more likely to result in a fatality than an accident at 20 mph.
My understanding is that auto fatalities in the US increased during COVID, despite there being less traffic on the road. Fewer drivers were going much faster, resulting in more deadly crashes.

Even if rush hour has decreased its average speeds again, I'd wager that most deadly accidents happen at off hours, like the middle of the night, when overconfident drivers feel comfortable outrunning their headlights...into trees, etc.

That's easy to answer. Because retarded people who don't know their retarded walk amongst us and pretend to be normal. The level of stupid in this world is unreal.

yeah if I had 3 hot chicks riding with me I'd probably crash my car too
I had to drive from Tampa to Orlando with my grandfather, my grandmother and her sister.

My grandmother and her sister would not stop talking. It wasn't interesting talk, it was complaining about everything. Too much traffic, too little traffic, bumpy roads, signs not too clear, the seat belt, the seat, more AC, less AC, was Disney better in the 90s or today ...

I looked at my grandfather that was as quiet and serious as a soldier guarding some building, he looked at me, closed his eyes for a second, looked at the road and said, while looking ahead in serious voice "it is not worth it". [laugh]

Hey - you're entitled to a wrong opinion. ;)

What is going on is that people got used to driving at crazy-high speeds in 2020-2021. They don't like to slow down. The sheer # of cars FLYING by me on the highway is staggering now. Much more than it used to be. Weaving in and out like they were playing GTA.

Those steel-belted missiles are accidents waiting to happen. Deadly ones. They aren't likely to succeed at killing anyone in rush hour. But the other 20 hours per day? Wheels of Death.

Hey - you're entitled to a wrong opinion. ;)

What is going on is that people got used to driving at crazy-high speeds in 2020-2021. They don't like to slow down. The sheer # of cars FLYING by me on the highway is staggering now. Much more than it used to be. Weaving in and out like they were playing GTA.

Those steel-belted missiles are accidents waiting to happen. Deadly ones. They aren't likely to succeed at killing anyone in rush hour. But the other 20 hours per day? Wheels of Death.
After a very arduous drive to Hershey PA and back this past weekend I can confirm there are a lot of a**h***s out there! Highways are just Mad Max roads of death, I avoid whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom