• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do so many Americans keep dying in traffic accidents.

depositphotos_84879750-stock-photo-women-typing-on-mobile-phones.jpg
3, 1, 2.

After a very arduous drive to Hershey PA and back this past weekend I can confirm there are a lot of a**h***s out there! Highways are just Mad Max roads of death, I avoid whenever possible.

Pennsylvania sucks because most of the highways are only two lanes in each direction. Trucks are not prohibited from the left lane. For some reason this encourages more passing on the right and general weaving from lane to lane for drivers to advance their position by a half second.

My understanding is that auto fatalities in the US increased during COVID, despite there being less traffic on the road. Fewer drivers were going much faster, resulting in more deadly crashes.

Even if rush hour has decreased its average speeds again, I'd wager that most deadly accidents happen at off hours, like the middle of the night, when overconfident drivers feel comfortable outrunning their headlights...into trees, etc.

I recall posting some data that, early on during lockdowns, auto fatalities actually remained flat, despite reduced traffic. Solitary driver fatalities increased, likely due to speed, as you noted.

I recall posting some data that, early on during lockdowns, auto fatalities actually remained flat, despite reduced traffic. Solitary driver fatalities increased, likely due to speed, as you noted.
I would believe that. So fatalities per mile might be up, even if totals states flat... and I let myself switch some stats in my head.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Phone addiction is a serious problem. Just look at anyone in public. If I can see their screen, half the time they're just swiping icons left and right or looking at old texts. They need that touchy screen action or they'll have withdrawal shakes. Anytime I pass someone on the highway, I take a quick glance and it seems freggin everyone has a phone in their hand (especially while in traffic!). If people learn to enjoy driving again then you wouldn't see accidents this frequent. For me, I just fight the urge and tell myself it's not worth getting into an accident (which would ruin my life).

Phone addiction is a serious problem. Just look at anyone in public. If I can see their screen, half the time they're just swiping icons left and right or looking at old texts. They need that touchy screen action or they'll have withdrawal shakes. Anytime I pass someone on the highway, I take a quick glance and it seems freggin everyone has a phone in their hand (especially while in traffic!). If people learn to enjoy driving again then you wouldn't see accidents this frequent. For me, I just fight the urge and tell myself it's not worth getting into an accident (which would ruin my life).
It's easier to enjoy driving without so many jerks on the road ;)

Actually, I just drove Texas to Attleboro. Posted 75 MPH for first half, no issues, second half posted 55 and some 65 MPH.
Second half I lost my mind with the people who think because they are going 55 its OK to just cruise in left lane regardless of how much traffic was on the road. Danger factor increases 1 million percent with these A holes, the 75 MPH guys, me included, have to weave and bob around that BS. Lost my sh*t and made me hate this place more than I did when I left 7 years ago. Wish I could talk some sense into my parents to GTFO.

Yawn. Article fails when it compares car deaths per capita rather than deaths per miles driven.
Yup. The article even states that Americans drive 2 to 4 times as many miles than other countries and didn't pull in the deaths per miles driven statistic.

Dumb article.

I think we can blame Gen X for not teaching their kids how to drive.

LOL.

And GenX was never taught anything and ended up fine. Ditto for the unnamed between Greatest and Boomers (1930-1945) and early Boomers. (Latter Boomers are the BMW generation. F them guys. LOL)

I had one this AM. This woman decides she's going to creep into the intersection on a left-hand turn. I'm driving on her left towards her. Traffic is coming in the other way.

She keeps creeping out. I keep coming. She is EXTRA not clear in the other direction until I'm about 3 car lengths from her. I deftly drive 1/2 into the now-clear oncoming lane and LEAN ON THE HORN for a good 3-5 seconds as I pass.

The look of "what? Am I doing something wrong" was staggering. Cars then filtered in from her right again, making it not clear. She continues to just roll into the intersection.

It is NOT a busy street where you need to cut off traffic in order to get left like we had to back in the 70's and 80's. Why she even bothered was a mystery in the first place.

She was in her 30's or 40's, if that matters. LOL

LOL.

And GenX was never taught anything and ended up fine. Ditto for the unnamed between Greatest and Boomers (1930-1945) and early Boomers. (Latter Boomers are the BMW generation. F them guys. LOL)

I had one this AM. This woman decides she's going to creep into the intersection on a left-hand turn. I'm driving on her left towards her. Traffic is coming in the other way.

She keeps creeping out. I keep coming. She is EXTRA not clear in the other direction until I'm about 3 car lengths from her. I deftly drive 1/2 into the now-clear oncoming lane and LEAN ON THE HORN for a good 3-5 seconds as I pass.

The look of "what? Am I doing something wrong" was staggering. Cars then filtered in from her right again, making it not clear. She continues to just roll into the intersection.

It is NOT a busy street where you need to cut off traffic in order to get left like we had to back in the 70's and 80's. Why she even bothered was a mystery in the first place.

She was in her 30's or 40's, if that matters. LOL
So, it is clear. Just like everything else, it is the Boomers fault.

Yup. The article even states that Americans drive 2 to 4 times as many miles than other countries and didn't pull in the deaths per miles driven statistic.

Dumb article.
I won't do the research, but I will bet deaths per mile driven might on par with everyone else, so it is not convenient. But I wouldn't be surprised if the person writing it fails at statistics. It was clearly designed to somehow throw gun deaths in there. Why nor compare it to cancer or flu deaths? Maybe drug overdoses? ... no, gun deaths.

Tiner was “actively using the TikTok application on his cell phone” and driving 68 mph in a 55-mph construction zone on Interstate 10 near Chandler when his commercial tractor-trailer collided with stopped traffic around 6:14 a.m. January 12, the statement read.
Tiner’s truck shoved two cars between another semi and two other vehicles.
The crushed cars burst into flames, killing five,

Back
Top Bottom