Why carry? Attacked by a stalker

GSG

I'm reposting this with permission from the original author so that we can share and learn.

Such a scenario never occurred to me before reading this, but it's quite scary.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12322573#post12322573

In 2004 we had a stalker. We took him to court and he was ordered to stay away. Kept getting calls. Changed our phone # to unlisted. Managed to get into our garage, called his own cell phone from our garage phone and had our # again. I ordered a G19 from an online dealer and hoped I could protect the wife and daughter. At 5:45am on 9/1/2004 I was 30 minutes from the house and he broke in. My daughter called my cell in absolute terror telling me he was breaking in the back door. I will never forget that call and can replay it live in my head. I got her to hang up and call 911 at the same time I did. Got to the house in about 20 minutes and it was over. The police were there and actually told me that most of the time they were nothing more than historians.

He got in and my wife fought. They struggled in the hallway by the kitchen and into the garage. He was trying to drag her out. My 16 year old daughter was trying to stab him with a steak knife. She was knocked into the wall and the fight wound up in the yard. He picked up my wife and carried her out of the garage. She was kicking and screaming. They fell and he started dragging her. She is in social services and was taught to fight and not to stand if pulled upon. Fall down. She did just that. She realised he was trying to get her away from the house and figured he was taking her to a car. She fought like a maniac. Lights started coming on and he finally panicked and ran. Swat caught him later and took him to jail. 7 months later he plea bargained and got 8 years. He is in Moore Haven Correctional Facility till 7/18/2011. In Florida you have to serve, I believe, 95% of your sentence.

In 10/2004 I got my CHL. I practice, have joined defensive handgun groups (I recommend this to all) and absolutely dread 7/18/2011. I hope he stays away.

You never get over this. As an aftermath, when I'm out of town she sits with a 442. I carry always. I now own 4 glocks, a 12 guage, a PM9, a 642, a 442, an AR15 and a Sub2000 (for camping). We also have a taser and all have pepper spray. I leave the house, stop and scan my surroundings. I look over my shoulder when I walk in parking lots. I wonder if I will be up to the task if needed. I preach safety to my now 21 year old daughter. Look in your car before you get in, look in a store before you go in, don't walk close to parked cars and watch them as you pass, be aware, be aware, be aware. Her fiance mailed off his application for his CHL the other day. The wife got her CHL this year and now I have to get her carrying before 2011. You wonder what friends he has made in prison. Are they out to do him a favor.

These guys will always be criminals. We wander through life in a bliss. They are always plotting and exploiting weakness. They are deviats as you can not imagine. Unfortunately the victims will always suffer as victims. When the crime is over the nightmares go on. As men, we must protect our families. And if we are not there they must be able to protect themselves.

Oh, and all of the above happened in minutes.

And this is why I read Glock Talk. It helps me feel more prepared and less inadequate.

Sorry, I got a little carried away. Wild story, huh? It is my why.

Thoughts?

Shows how well that restraining order held up..[crying].
hindsight is 20/20, but he should have grabbed a couple of Mossy 500's with the RO.

While a gun is a great self defense tool there is more about self defense than having a gun. The wife in the story had some traing for things like that which is good for her.

What I take from this is "Carrying is not enough" It's not enough that we carry to protect our loved ones because we may not be available when our loved ones need us. Yes, situational awareness is key. His daughter showed awareness, she called him and the police before the guy managed to get into the house. His wife showed training, skill and determination, all very good attributes.

I imagin this would have been very different if there was a self-defense weapon available in the house. Instead of his daughter stabbing the guy with a steak knife, his wife would likely have shot him at his entry point.

I think I'm impatient for my new IWB holster for the K9 to arrive, that's what I think. They just charged the credit card, so hopefully soon...

Ross, how are you going to fit a Dog in your waistband?

Seriously, the Wife did the right thing given her circumstance. Personally I always have and have always had a knife on me, it's a good thing.

We can all look back and be armchair quarterbacks, but I don't think that was the OP's intention here. I may be mistaken but I think its an alarm to make sure that we're awake.

We can all look back and be armchair quarterbacks, but I don't think that was the OP's intention here. I may be mistaken but I think its an alarm to make sure that we're awake.

Bingo. This didn't happen because anyone went to an ATM late at night or because they left their front door unlocked. It was a repeated attack on their family by a deranged person.

Calculated criminals will always be around, and they don't bother me, because for the most part they understand risk vs. reward. Psycho's don't care how nice of a neighborhood you live in or how safe you feel in your castle.

Thanks for the story. Reminds me of how badly I need to get some sort of alarm for when I'm in the house.
I think I'm impatient for my new IWB holster for the K9 to arrive, that's what I think. They just charged the credit card, so hopefully soon...
Crap...You're going to be carrying a K9 now, too? I just bought a Subaru.

Scary. [laugh]
His wife did a good job. With a gun, she would do even better.
I admire her courage and skill.
I'm going to have to get Vicki some decent pepper spray. She didn't want to carry outside the house because she didn't trust herself to do so. With a family of self-described Republicans who all strongly dislike guns and love gun control, she's taken some time to get comfortable with firearms.

She's still much more comfortable with long arms than pistols, and she wants a shotgun for deer season here, so I'm probably going to end up getting her a basic Mossberg/other pump gun with two barrels, and keeping it locked up here w/ the short barrel.

It was an interesting story thanks for posting. The woman did a good job fighting back.

I don't know about you guys, but I choose not to live in fear of someday based on a very unique story of some stalker. If your family was being stalked by some guy wouldn't you at least beef up the security in your home by improving windows and doors and install a decent security system to start with, and work out a defensive plan with your family for such a situation? How the heck did this guy get into their garage?

But back to average people without stalker in their lives..... I personally can't believe how many people on different forums say they walk around their own home with a j-frame in their pocket all the time. Where the heck do such people live, in a war zone somewhere?

Last edited:
TCrap...You're going to be carrying a K9 now, too?
Uh... for several years now; bought mine from DR some years back. Been using an OWB but it's not as easy to conceal.

I personally can't believe how many people on different forums say they walk around their own home with a j-frame in their pocket all the time. Where the heck do such people live, in a war zone somewhere?
Marlborough; why, where do YOU live that there are no criminals at all? FantasyLand in the Magic Kingdom?

There is nothing really new here. Mr. Twigg reiterated the basic concept: situational awareness. That coupled with training is the key to survival.

OR as the Romans said: if you wish for peace, preapare for war.

Mark056

Two words;
Situational awareness.

I agree with this, but think more along the line of instincts. There are times I am purposefully aware, but it seems my instincts take no purpose or thought - they just are. Gut feelings rule - without which...having all the "stuff" in the world is for naught.

That must really be tough having to go through life always looking over your shoulder. I mean granted I usually practice situational awareness anyway. Except needing to versus choosing to must make it that much more stressful.

<snip>I personally can't believe how many people on different forums say they walk around their own home with a j-frame in their pocket all the time. Where the heck do such people live, in a war zone somewhere?

I have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and every bedroom, am I living in fear of having a fire ?

A tool is just that; a tool.

But back to average people without stalker in their lives..... I personally can't believe how many people on different forums say they walk around their own home with a j-frame in their pocket all the time. Where the heck do such people live, in a war zone somewhere?

Yeah, who the hell would want to keep a low-capacity revolver on them in their house at all times? ...I much rather prefer the capacity of a semi-auto!

Bluesman, if this really needs to be explained to you, I don't have the time to even begin.

Mother
(former liberal and rape victim)
[rolleyes]

It was an interesting story thanks for posting. The woman did a good job fighting back.

I don't know about you guys, but I choose not to live in fear of someday based on a very unique story of some stalker. If your family was being stalked by some guy wouldn't you at least beef up the security in your home by improving windows and doors and install a decent security system to start with, and work out a defensive plan with your family for such a situation? How the heck did this guy get into their garage?

Bad things happen everywhere. Ask Sharon Tate. Oh, wait, you can't![sad2]

LOL, I kind of like Fantasy land!!

See above post.

..because if you could choose the time and place of the one time in your life you may need to defend yourself or your family, you'd be ready for it. But by the very nature of violent criminal attack it is unpredictable, sudden and likely to find you very much surprised.

My wife was not a fan of firearms. She is something of a public "personality" and as such we've had a few weirdos down the years that have become a nuisance - but nothing like OP. She narrowly escaped being attacked a few years ago ( smart woman - situational awareness) and this changed her mind about the personal use of firearms as a defense tool.

From the sound of it, they have a few years before this low-life gets a chance. Sounds like he'll make an encore presentation. Let's hope they're a little better prepared by then.

Is it horrible of me to hope the guy tries it again so the better-prepared family can blow the guy away this time?

In the real world. Pick up a newspaper sometime and get your head out of the sand. It doesn't matter if you live in a "nice" neighborhood, you can still become that small % statistic any day of the year.

..because if you could choose the time and place of the one time in your life you may need to defend yourself or your family, you'd be ready for it.

Very true. If I could choose the time and place, though, I wouldn't have a J-frame with me. I'd have an M-1 Garand with two full ammo belts with me and a 1911 on my belt with about 5 full mags... OK, I lied. I'd probably still have the j-frame in my pocket as a last resort.

Oh boy...

Back
Top Bottom