Why are people anti 40 ?

Hi everyone, I am very new to firearms and my first gun is a Glock 23. Now that i have been on this forum it seems like a lot of people are anti 40. My question is why.

Thanks everyone.

Gdbrz [grin]

I shoot a G23 as well. I shoot it just as well as .22 and or .45

I don't have a preference. .. I just happened to find one cheap. I have a 9mm bbl for it too when I have my period.

I think because it's a smaller round than .45 and has a bit more felt recoil. Of course YMMV, I know in my case my 1911 is less snappy than my brothers Glock 22.

The idea behind the .40 was ok. Combine the best of 9mm and .45 ACP into a single round. Unfortunately, it's been found to not really do that. IMO, better off with either 9mm or .45 ACP. Of course, my preference is .45 ACP. In a high capacity pistol, your round count is the same (especially in nanny states) so why not go with a larger round that has a softer recoil? The misconception that .45 ACP recoil is harder to control than 9mm is just that, a misconception. 9mm recoil is also sharper than .45 ACP.

BTW, .45 ACP because shooting twice is just silly... Plus 'MERICA!!! [rofl2]

It's because it was invented to pussify the 10mm. Candy asses couldn't handle the 10mm so they invented the .40.

Is it reasonable to expect police forces to deploy a much more powerful caliber than the 40? Gun enthusiasts have been trying to get police to use powerful rounds since the old revolver magnums came out, with not much success.

It's because it was invented to pussify the 10mm. Candy asses couldn't handle the 10mm so they invented the .40.
Yes, very true indeed. But I like it, a zippy cartridge but I tend to go .45acp now. A .40 will put em down though.

Is it reasonable to expect police forces to deploy a much more powerful caliber than the 40? Gun enthusiasts have been trying to get police to use powerful rounds since the old revolver magnums came out, with not much success.

It's not the point and I don't think it's a bad round for LE.

It's like if someone took half the spark plugs out of a race car and said "Why don't you like it? It's better now. It doesn't hurt my neck when you push the gas."

h12530751

It's not the point and I don't think it's a bad round for LE.

It's like if someone took half the spark plugs out of a race car and said "Why don't you like it? It's better now. It doesn't hurt my neck when you push the gas."

I guess my thing is this - I would have bought a 10mm if they were as cheap and available as 40. Recoil doesn't really bother me, so my decision was more an economic one. For many (most?) people though, recoil is a problem, just as most people don't drive and wouldn't actually be able to handle a race car very well - I don't think that that is a bad thing.

when you have 9mm and 45 there is just no point of 40. whats its purpose should be your question. if you like it keep it.

Cops wanted something more powerful than a 9mm but still in a smaller round than the .45. Primarily for increased capacity and supposedly more female hand size friendly.

I'm with the others, there is nothing that a .40 can do that I can't do quicker and cheaper with one of my .45s

This is also a very educational video comparing the common pistol calibers.

Basically, from 9MM -> .45ACP there is very little difference in damage scientifically. The big change is going from a FMJ to a JHP round. In that, the smallest caliber is preferred due to capacity and how controllable it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
what does that mean?

nothing good comes from a 40.

My first gun was .40, because police caliber. Then I bought a .45, because 'Murica! Then I bought a 10mm, because nuke in a pistol. Then I actually started shooting more then a box of ammo once in a great while and stopped listening to every swinging dick in a gun shop, now I only carry and shoot 9mm. However, I am always on my period.

I still have my first pistol and one 1911, but that is because I am a sentimental person.

I carry a 9 because I pocket carry. A PM9 gives me just a slightly larger footprint than a .380 with a lot more punch and .40 in that size frame is too much. As far as full size handgun caliber if you're looking at a 10 rd cap I like .357 sig. If you're looking free state 9mm cause 17 rounds of fun.

I carry a 9 because I pocket carry. A PM9 gives me just a slightly larger footprint than a .380 with a lot more punch and .40 in that size frame is too much. As far as full size handgun caliber if you're looking at a 10 rd cap I like .357 sig. If you're looking free state 9mm cause 17 rounds of fun.

This is why I chose the M&P 40c as one of my guns. If your going to be limited to 10 round mags. I'll take the only one that comes with a 10 rounder in every state. At least the handle is full.

Don't make me wrek ya hectic
Automatic got me goin' like Gen'ral Electric
Damn
The lights are blinking I'm thinking
It's all over when I go out drinking
Oh
Makin' my mind slow,
That's why I don't **** wit da big four-oh

I have two. My favorite is my carry, a Glock 27. For whatever reason I shoot it better than most of my other handguns, including 9mm. And I like the snap. I may change my mind once I try IDPA.

Back
Top Bottom