• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why Everyone Needs An AR-15

I tried one and ROYALLY messed it up. Ended up throwing it away. You need proper equipment and tools to work on these.

"proper equipment and tools" is, um, subjective.

I've seen absolutely garbage looking lowers - that function.

I've made 80% lowers with everything from a jig and handtools, to a specialized CNC machine. They all function, some are prettier than others.

OK, I was looking at my guns and I think I’m going to cross over to the dark side. I’ve been taking my shotgun deer hunting instead of my 30-30, because I’m really hunting small game. I don’t really like deer hunting. I’ll never hunt bear or moose. So this weekend I got the idea to trade my JM Marlin 336 for an AR.

Here’s my problem, that I hope NES can help.

I looked at a ton of ARs this weekend and they’re all the same and they all suck. All have collapsing stocks. No carry handle. No sights. Heavy cheese grater forends. They’re all dense and too heavy for what they are. The M16s I remember were light and smooth, there weren’t a lot of sharp edges all over them.

What I want is an A1 style. No frills. Im in NH, so pre ban or pre Healy doesn’t mean anything to me, but what I want is an “old gun”. I’ll settle for A2.

What am I looking for? Is there a source for old A1 uppers to stick on a new lower? I really don’t want to build a gun, but I can put two halves together, even if I need to replace a stock.
Technically A2 style by the looks of them, but carry handle with traditional fore end

eta- I thought Brownells was making reproduction ARr's but I cant seem to find them

Last edited:
And this is how I ended up with a lever gun and a wheel gun. why? WHY!? Why did I listen to the clowns on this forum!?

But seriously, everyone should have 8 ARs as part of their collection...

I didn't have any. Then CT said they were going to make the purchase of them illegal
So I bought three.

Fast forward a bit and I moved to Georgia.
Left my declared ARs in CT - so obviously I need to replace them.

one longbarrelled one with a decent scope for long range shooting
one with a 1-6 scope for whatever
one with a red dot for closer whatever
a Larue upper on an ambi CMT lower that I built for my wife
a Daniels Defense that I won in a raffle
(2) AR pistols BFYTW
oops - that's only seven. Guess I need another one...

OK, I was looking at my guns and I think I’m going to cross over to the dark side. I’ve been taking my shotgun deer hunting instead of my 30-30, because I’m really hunting small game. I don’t really like deer hunting. I’ll never hunt bear or moose. So this weekend I got the idea to trade my JM Marlin 336 for an AR.

I looked at a ton of ARs this weekend and they’re all the same and they all suck. All have collapsing stocks. No carry handle. No sights. Heavy cheese grater forends. They’re all dense and too heavy for what they are. The M16s I remember were light and smooth, there weren’t a lot of sharp edges all over them.

What I want is an A1 style. No frills. Im in NH, so pre ban or pre Healy doesn’t mean anything to me, but what I want is an “old gun”. I’ll settle for A2.

What am I looking for? Is there a source for old A1 uppers to stick on a new lower? I really don’t want to build a gun, but I can put two halves together, even if I need to replace a stock.
Build your own that suits your needs.

If the market doesn't provide what you want, provide it for yourself.

They are as easy as lego's

The "First"
1) 16" mid length. Magpul furn. 5.56
The "Twins"
2) 16" carbine. GI round furn. 5.56
The "Trainer"
1) 16" carbine. Magpul FDE furn.
.22 LR conversion
The "Mini Twins"
2) 11.5" pistols. KAK braces
The "Big Brother"
1) 11.5" pistol. SB3 brace. 300BLK
The "Meany Minis"
2) 8" Pistols, SB3 brace.
9mm
The "Russian Mafia"
2) 16" Carbine
1) 10" Pistol. Various furniture.
7.62x39

Apex Gun Parts gets original A1 uppers - be prepared to hate the prices, damn things are collectibles now. A2 uppers are more readily available, but the heavy barrel profile is not going to feel as light as you remember the A1. As far as new A1 uppers, there are companies building them. They're small batch production, often out of stock, and typically expensive. I think your best bet is going to be building a rifle - what you're looking for isn't a popular choice, and buying a current rifle and modding means tossing a bunch of it's major parts. To get the feel of an A1 I'd suggest building around a Faxon Gunner 20" barrel, any A4 style (flattop, no carry handle) upper receiver with a Daniel Defense 1.5 rear sight (A1 sight for a flattop). pinned on front sight base. Your choice of A1, A2 or Magpul MOE handguards. Any lower receiver will be fine, put a rifle buffer tube on it and an A1 stock. I'd recommend the later A1 stock with the trapdoor buttplate - the older ones can be slippery on the shoulder, or a Magpul MOE rifle stock (A1 length stock)

It wouldn't look like an A1, but it should feel like an A1.

ETA: Missed one - Windham has sold A1 uppers new, which were reasonably priced when they were in stock. :(

Last edited:
"proper equipment and tools" is, um, subjective.

I've seen absolutely garbage looking lowers - that function.

I've made 80% lowers with everything from a jig and handtools, to a specialized CNC machine. They all function, some are prettier than others.
I know a guy who used a 1/2 inch drill bit to finish his 80%. It fired. No idea how, but it did.

When police have ar-15s they’re “patrol weapons” - when plebes have them they’re “weapons of war” aka “assault weapons”.

It’s all how they identify.
Mine identify as pewpews.
To a progressive, a butter knife is a weapon of war. So is a spork.

The problem with going for an A1 upper is that they are 1-12 twist which severely limits bullet selection options. 1-8 twist is the best twist for civilian needs, but either 1-9 or 1-7 (better than 1-9) would work.

You may be able to find retro upper with a M16A1 profile barrel that has a 1:7 twist. This one option (if it were in stock), has a C7 upper. The C7 upper is like an A1 upper but with a brass deflector.

That said, there are a lot of options out there for a modern AR with a fixed A1 stock and a smooth free float handguard so you’re not dealing with the heavy cheese graters.

May I recommend:

This lower: FAR-15 A1 Rifle Lower, Complete *

With an upper like this: AR15 Complete Upper, 16

It gives you a nice smooth grip, while being handier than a 20” A1 upper

And get a detacheable carry handle if you really want a carry handle. Or add a Scalar Works fixed rear sight, or any other fixed rear sight if you want.

But it may be as Picton says, you may never like the AR and that’s okay. Everyone has biases and it may not be worth trying to overcome yours which started during your service. I have a bias for the AR from my time in service. And I don’t have any intention on trying to change that bias for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
The problem with going for an A1 upper is that they are 1-12 twist which severely limits bullet selection options. 1-8 twist is the best twist for civilian needs, but either 1-9 or 1-7 (better than 1-9) would work.

You may be able to find retro upper with a M16A1 profile barrel that has a 1:7 twist. This one option (if it were in stock), has a C7 upper. The C7 upper is like an A1 upper but with a brass deflector.

Ah yes. I forgot about the "new" twist rates and the accuracy problems using the older lighter bullets would have with the new twist rates. Not that big an issue, but does make the A2 style a little more useful.

I'll probably go with a new rifle with A2 handguards. As my kids will be using it also, I may keep the folding stock, easy replacement down the road.

Ah yes. I forgot about the "new" twist rates and the accuracy problems using the older lighter bullets would have with the new twist rates. Not that big an issue, but does make the A2 style a little more useful.

I'll probably go with a new rifle with A2 handguards. As my kids will be using it also, I may keep the folding stock, easy replacement down the road.
Light bullets in modern, faster, twists isn’t really an issue.

The issue would be trying to shoot anything heavier than 55gr in the old 1:12 twist.

A Magpul UBR may be a good stock option if you want something that can be adjusted for different shooters, but still feels really solid like a fixed stock. It’s pricey though and there are other telescoping stocks that have a really tight fit and feel sturdy.

Brownells can set you up with any configuration you like.

If anyone doubts the superiority of the AR platform, try a few 3 gun matches.

Back
Top Bottom