Who's buying S&W?

Me too, today. Twelve left (of the 45 I was told). Too good to pass up. Been looking for a Glock 36 (another single stack 45 like the shield), but hard to find or find at reasonable price. So, I can certainly live with the SW instead.

Damn. Hope they continue to keep stocking while this is active. Did you go with or without the manual safety?

It's sad that a $75 rebate and a free third mag was all it took for me to buy a shield... That and the dissatisfaction of my 637.
IMG_3261.jpg
And to then blow the savings on an Apex spring kit and HD Trijicons

Last edited:
IMG_4259_zpsiyqodlkj.jpg

no, i don't buy SW

Now you I like!

That's purdier than a string of rainbow trout...

Last edited:
Picked up a shield 9 today. I couldn't tell any difference dry firing a non thumb safet and thump safety model so I went with the non thumb safety one. Heavy to say the least (trigger) and it was slightly bigger than I thought (like I can't imagine that gun in my pocket be comfortable). Maybe cause I held a bodyguard for the first time too (lol) but I'm glad to have it for that price and looking forward to shooting it and (hopefully) make it my new EDC

Last edited:
Picked up a Shield in 9mm at Four Seasons yesterday afternoon. While waiting for my paperwork two other people came to talk to staff about the Shield as well. I'd say this promotion is doing well for S&W. Now to get that new gun down to the range this weekend.

Maybe it's my inexperience (relatively new to firearms ownership and have only used a few) but the trigger, while a bit stiff and 'gritty' didn't feel nearly as bad as the impression I got reading these forums. I see how things shake out after a few hundred rounds and then decide if I'm going to blow my rebate on a new trigger. My only concern doing that is that this is a carry gun and though I hope I never have to use it, if I did I'd be worried about "you see ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant was so eager to kill someone that he modified the gun with a 'fast' trigger." Anyone else worry about this in the People's Gulag of MA?

Also, I don't know what all the people suggesting pocket carry for the Shield are smoking, but it must be good stuff or you've got massive pockets. I can't even begin to imagine fitting that thing in a pocket (jeans, dress pants, shorts) on its own, let alone in a pocket holster and not have it be an uncomfortable an very obvious bulge.

Also, I don't know what all the people suggesting pocket carry for the Shield are smoking, but it must be good stuff or you've got massive pockets. I can't even begin to imagine fitting that thing in a pocket (jeans, dress pants, shorts) on its own, let alone in a pocket holster and not have it be an uncomfortable an very obvious bulge.
I've got some pretty baggy shorts with good size pockets that could make it work but certainly not in jeans.

Picked up a Shield in 9mm at Four Seasons yesterday afternoon. While waiting for my paperwork two other people came to talk to staff about the Shield as well. I'd say this promotion is doing well for S&W. Now to get that new gun down to the range this weekend.

Maybe it's my inexperience (relatively new to firearms ownership and have only used a few) but the trigger, while a bit stiff and 'gritty' didn't feel nearly as bad as the impression I got reading these forums. I see how things shake out after a few hundred rounds and then decide if I'm going to blow my rebate on a new trigger. My only concern doing that is that this is a carry gun and though I hope I never have to use it, if I did I'd be worried about "you see ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant was so eager to kill someone that he modified the gun with a 'fast' trigger." Anyone else worry about this in the People's Gulag of MA?

you and I should be friends lol. I agree 100%
my only thing with the trigger, being new to firearms as well, is that I haven't shot anything with an amazing (aka expensive/free state trigger) so maybe that's why we feel that way?

being a carry gun, another part we agree, I doubt I'd invest in an apex trigger.

Picked up a Shield in 9mm at Four Seasons yesterday afternoon. While waiting for my paperwork two other people came to talk to staff about the Shield as well.

I was very busy this week, so I decided to follow the advertised suggestion about making reservations by calling the store and I attempted to call Four Seasons where I purchased all my guns with the exception of one. Their phone simply did not work for 2 days straight. Finally, I gave up on calling them, and I sent them an email. No answer either. They must be doing extremely well. I will, for a change, give Billerica a try. [wink]

you and I should be friends lol. I agree 100%
my only thing with the trigger, being new to firearms as well, is that I haven't shot anything with an amazing (aka expensive/free state trigger) so maybe that's why we feel that way?

being a carry gun, another part we agree, I doubt I'd invest in an apex trigger.
Makes 3 of us. Just got this gun .The only other gun I shot are my wife's 22 Walther and revolver.
This weekend some range time.

As I posted even among the few I dry fired the trigger on some felt mushy and some great. I got to try a few before getting the trigger I liked. Bizarre.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was trying to sell my shield for what I thought was a good price at the time and found out about the rebate from a total douchebag reaming me out because he could get one for $25 less brand new!

by Silversnake
...Maybe it's my inexperience (relatively new to firearms ownership and have only used a few) but the trigger, while a bit stiff and 'gritty' didn't feel...

Many will disagree with this but, spring and trigger kits (in most but not all cases) are doing to your springs and trigger sear what time and training will do anyway.

That is to say; when you dry fire/ live fire your gun you are slowly polishing your sear surfaces and fatiguing your springs, making it "easier" to pull the trigger.

In most cases what you are doing by adding a kit is installing parts that mimic a well worn-in (not worn-out)trigger system.
Dry fire your guns (except most rimfires), live fire them, but above all KNOW them.

Last edited:
by Silversnake

Many will disagree with this but, spring and trigger kits (in most but not all cases) are doing to your springs and trigger sear what time and training will do anyway.

That is to say; when you dry fire/ live fire your gun you are slowly polishing your sear surfaces and fatiguing your springs, making it "easier" to pull the trigger.

In most cases what you are doing by adding a kit is installing parts that mimic a well worn-in (not worn-out)trigger system.
Dry fire your guns (except most rimfires), live fire them, but above all KNOW them.

That was some of what I was thinking. Heading to the range shortly to start that process. :)

by Silversnake

I actually agree with you. I trained my finger on my P250 (my fav trigger), so I believe my trigger control is pretty good. Ive read all about the MA 10# trigger needing work, but after taking it the range last night, I didn't find it that bad! I think the biggest complaints are the sandpaper grit at the end of the uptake, and then a 10# wall. I ordered a free state trigger return spring, but honestly, I don't think it'll make a difference because it'll only lighten the uptake and will not affect the wall. Just like you said, the trigger wall and recoil spring will naturally loosen up after lots of firing, and I looove this gun so far.

I actually agree with you. I trained my finger on my P250 (my fav trigger), so I believe my trigger control is pretty good. Ive read all about the MA 10# trigger needing work, but after taking it the range last night, I didn't find it that bad! I think the biggest complaints are the sandpaper grit at the end of the uptake, and then a 10# wall. I ordered a free state trigger return spring, but honestly, I don't think it'll make a difference because it'll only lighten the uptake and will not affect the wall. Just like you said, the trigger wall and recoil spring will naturally loosen up after lots of firing, and I looove this gun so far.

So, I just got back from the range and my first "breaking it in" trip with my Shield. After 150 rounds through it (had to be a short trip due to home obligations and a late start) I've made some observations:

1. If they're all Mass compliant, how the hell does this thing have a much heavier trigger than the SR9 and MKIII I took to the range with me? All are stock out of the box but the SR9 is so much smoother and lighter by comparison.

2. That 10-pound 'wall' doesn't seem like much in the store, but it is a noticeable pain in the ass at the range. It, combined with the slimmer grip meant I was consistently pulling low and left. I"m going to need to get lots of practice with this gun to re-train myself not to crush the thing and throw off my aim.

3. Out of those 150 rounds, I had two instances where the slide locked back and stayed back that wasn't a hold open on empty magazine. I'm guessing this is just new gun being tight/stiff but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, if there are any fixes other than shoot it a lot to break it in, and if there could be something else here to consider.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. I see lots of practice rounds in my future before I'd consider carrying it, but I can see myself carrying it after that. Solid little gun.

So, I just got back from the range and my first "breaking it in" trip with my Shield. After 150 rounds through it (had to be a short trip due to home obligations and a late start) I've made some observations:

1. If they're all Mass compliant, how the hell does this thing have a much heavier trigger than the SR9 and MKIII I took to the range with me? All are stock out of the box but the SR9 is so much smoother and lighter by comparison.

2. That 10-pound 'wall' doesn't seem like much in the store, but it is a noticeable pain in the ass at the range. It, combined with the slimmer grip meant I was consistently pulling low and left. I"m going to need to get lots of practice with this gun to re-train myself not to crush the thing and throw off my aim.

3. Out of those 150 rounds, I had two instances where the slide locked back and stayed back that wasn't a hold open on empty magazine. I'm guessing this is just new gun being tight/stiff but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, if there are any fixes other than shoot it a lot to break it in, and if there could be something else here to consider.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. I see lots of practice rounds in my future before I'd consider carrying it, but I can see myself carrying it after that. Solid little gun.

My 45 was the tightest Shield I've purchased, I own 4 of them. It also was the most oiled one. I usually take a quick look at my new guns and go right to the range. My thought is I want to make sure it functions properly out of the box without any chance I could have screwed something up. This 45 had to be properly bench cleaned and the 7 points needing to be properly lubed were taken care of. Again, my gun was tight .... \loading the mags, slide to frame.. I have owned over 20 M&P's, just about every model, version made... this one was different.

Mine performed 100rds flawless.. I have installed many Apex striker kits to clean up the gritty uptake, but this one is different. The gritty feel, I believe comes from the side of the trigger rubbing the frame. I'm not worried about it at the moment.. but I may do a little cleaning up in that area if I get bored.. I did install an Apex sear and sear spring after that 1st outing, not because I felt it needed it, because I was bored and had the sear in my parts box. I have lots of Apex kits and spare factory parts. After installation, I measured the pull, it was 5.5lbs. I think I liked the 10lb pull for carry.. but that's for another thread.. You got it right, shoot it. I did just that from the beginning, my 1st M&P 40FS. I saved lots of ammo by spending hours watching tv and dry firing over and over, that was my key to accuracy with my M&P's. I'm no bullseye shooter by any means, but I can kill a target. That's my goal, these aren't target guns, they're self defense guns, period.

As for your slide, again, I say no problem there, just need to shoot it and break it in. Also, if you didn't clean it good before and hit the 7 lube spots... hit em, but don't soak it like a 1911.. you'll be fine, nothing wrong with your gun, I'll bet!

I had two Shields, first was a used one with apex trigger and second was a new one with a 5.5 lb trigger job done by my gunsmith. The second one was much smoother since he rounds out the striker safety also. I didn't have one malfunction with either gun and probably put 400 rds through them. I was on my way to buying a third one since I had sold those two but a Kahr interrupted my Shield purchase.

Well this didn't go as planned at all.
Went to the range today to test the shield and break it in.
4 boxes of perfect 9mm and arrived.
First the gun felt stiff from all aspects. Oh well new gun right?
lets load it up. I was not able to put more than 6 rounds on neither mag at any time.
From ablut 120 rounds from 10-15 yards I hit A4 / 6" target about 1 every 4 rounds.
It looks like I am missing low and very left if that means anything.
I actually had my best shots shooting one hand and looking directly at the target (not using the sights at all). It's kind of a racing thing (look where you want the bike to go) I followed, look and focus where you want the bullet to go. I was so upset to shoot so bad I just picked it up and came home. 10lbs trigger feels like 100lbs after 100 rounds too. Damn

Well this didn't go as planned at all.
Went to the range today to test the shield and break it in.
4 boxes of perfect 9mm and arrived.
First the gun felt stiff from all aspects. Oh well new gun right?
lets load it up. I was not able to put more than 6 rounds on neither mag at any time.
From ablut 120 rounds from 10-15 yards I hit A4 / 6" target about 1 every 4 rounds.
It looks like I am missing low and very left if that means anything.
I actually had my best shots shooting one hand and looking directly at the target (not using the sights at all). It's kind of a racing thing (look where you want the bike to go) I followed, look and focus where you want the bullet to go. I was so upset to shoot so bad I just picked it up and came home. 10lbs trigger feels like 100lbs after 100 rounds too. Damn

Did you give it a good cleaning and lube the 7 spots? Also, either way, clean and lube it, if you are sitting around watching tv, dry fire the heck out of it!!! It won't kill you and really work on the frt sight not moving when the trigger breaks.. I always pull the take up 1st then just squeeeeeeeeeze the trigger till it breaks.. do it enough and you will have no problems after that.. I did it for months and still when I get another new M&P whatever .... I do it again.. just not as much. U don't need snap caps... just make sure it's not loaded before pulling the trigger !!!

Did you give it a good cleaning and lube the 7 spots? Also, either way, clean and lube it, if you are sitting around watching tv, dry fire the heck out of it!!! It won't kill you and really work on the frt sight not moving when the trigger breaks.. I always pull the take up 1st then just squeeeeeeeeeze the trigger till it breaks.. do it enough and you will have no problems after that.. I did it for months and still when I get another new M&P whatever .... I do it again.. just not as much. U don't need snap caps... just make sure it's not loaded before pulling the trigger !!!

Honestly, no I did one dry patch through the Barel, one lol, one dry again and I went to the range.
That was it.
I will do what you said for sure. What are the 7 spots?

Back
Top Bottom