Who makes a semi-auto compact/micro-compact pistol in .22 Mag?

Only one I can think of right away is the KelTec, and that is NOT a compact.
I know there are some small revolvers, but thinking of something like the Ruger LC II, but in .22 Magnum.

Found these, but none of them are small (pocket size):
In compact .22 mag you will mainly find snubby revolvers.

Not semi-auto, not a revolver, double action only. But I've fired one several times. They work, they fit in a pocket. They can be difficult to find.

Hi Standard DM-101 Derringer

iu

American Derringer Co also makes/made them - no idea what their quality is.

Think of it as a semi-auto with a two round magazine.

In compact .22 mag you will mainly find snubby revolvers.
You are correct. That was why I was asking here. Looks like your assertion and my findings here also back this up. Nothing out there.

No in a wheelie, Ftw

Actually, that's more like a 180!!! ;)

Not semi-auto, not a revolver, double action only. But I've fired one several times. They work, they fit in a pocket. They can be difficult to find.

Hi Standard DM-101 Derringer

iu

American Derringer Co also makes/made them - no idea what their quality is.

Think of it as a semi-auto with a two round magazine.
Yeah, that is indeed a feasible option. One or two shots is all that is probably necessary, plus a pocket of loose shells just in case for my particular use.

I don't mean any shade to the OP of this thread, and I think .22 magnum in handguns has its uses. But I always recommend that anyone considering a .22 magnum handgun take a look at www.ballisticsbytheinch.com to understand how .22 magnum is affected by barrel length. In short, from smaller pistols, .22 magnum does not come close to the 40 grains at 1800+ fps that made the round so respected in rifles.

From a 3" barrel, no .22 magnum rounds reach the 40 grains at 1250 fps that high velocity .22 long rifle will deliver from a rifle barrel. .22 magnum still outperforms .22 lr from a similar sized pistol, but the performance is not great. You also get a surprising amount of noise and flash from .22 magnum in short barrels, so it seems more powerful than it is.

Again, I am not totally knocking .22 magnum. But from a small pistol, it should not be used for any jobs that are too big for a .22 rifle. And it is not at all similar to .22 magnum from a rifle length barrel, which has a large step more power than .22 lr.

Ballistics by the inch also shows that the round is very sensitive to barrel length. So from a 6" Single Six revolver, it picks up significant velocity, and some rounds do exceed the performance of .22 lr from a rifle. However, this is not helpful in the search for an extremely compact pistol.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, none of the recent .22 magnum rounds that are designed for short barrels actually deliver significantly better ballistics, though some of them may have projectiles that are better designed for their actual velocity.
Thanks for your response.

This would be all I'd ask of it. Even if only a little better, that is fine.
why would you carry a .22 mag instead of a 9mm? im not trying to be a jerk (although i often am) just curious
Smaller size gun.

This all came out of the LCP II .22LR thread. Was wondering if there was a .22 Mag model. There wasn't. The next natural question was "What else is there in small .22 WMR pistols?" Here we are. Seems there aren't any.

so you want something smaller than a p365, smaller than a smith 442?
Yes.

i just dont get the whole 22 mag thing, since cartridge length means you're into 9mm territory anyways.
Only because it might work in an LCP II type gun, which is made for .22LR, but has more fps, even if only a little.

Seems we're either stuck with .22LR, or a bigger gun. It seems all other options have been exhausted, although I haven't looked at .32. I know nothing about those, or if it is even any more powerful than the .22 Mag. At this point, I don't care.

Yes.

Only because it might work in an LCP II type gun, which is made for .22LR, but has more fps, even if only a little.

Seems we're either stuck with .22LR, or a bigger gun. It seems all other options have been exhausted, although I haven't looked at .32. I know nothing about those, or if it is even any more powerful than the .22 Mag. At this point, I don't care.

the lcp really isnt that much smaller than the p365

the lcp really isnt that much smaller than the p365

10.6 oz. vs. 17.8 oz. is almost half the weight.
Also, the size difference, though not dramatic, is enough:

1662450498101.png 1662450539447.png

The LCP was the "compromise". Was originally looking for something like the P3AT. It seems that is the one to beat, and the only one to beat it is the same company's P32. Like I said, I don't know much about the .32 caliber at all, so was ending my "research" with .380 and .22 Mag.

Last edited:
Not many options out there, because it’s very difficult to make the relatively long and thin .22 mag feed reliably in a very small semi auto
Did not know this. I guess that explains why nothing out there. So, we're down to .380, .22, or .32.

Not many options out there, because it’s very difficult to make the relatively long and thin .22 mag feed reliably in a very small semi auto. That’s why most small .22 mag handguns are revolvers.

The problem isn't limited to small semi handguns in wmr try to find a dead reliable: using any ammo: .22 mag semi rifle-isn't going to happen- and I understand this also includes the uber dollar Volquartsen.

If the revolver is out (for whatever inherently flawed reason-presuming civilian use) only one other viable option remains in .22 and it isn't the wmr

Was originally looking for something like the P3AT. It seems that is the one to beat,
Plus, there are Kel-tec 9 round magazines available for the P3AT (Mass legal)

Carry with the 6+1, pack the 9-rounder in a pocket...
16 rounds of .380 would keep the Yotes at bay...
1662485207490.png 1662485280955.png

Not many options out there, because it’s very difficult to make the relatively long and thin .22 mag feed reliably in a very small semi auto. That’s why most small .22 mag handguns are revolvers.

The problem isn't limited to small semi handguns in wmr try to find a dead reliable: using any ammo: .22 mag semi rifle-isn't going to happen- and I understand this also includes the uber dollar Volquartsen.

If the revolver is out only one other viable option remains in .22 and it isn't the wmr

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp54q1lc43I

Only one I can think of right away is the KelTec, and that is NOT a compact.
I know there are some small revolvers, but thinking of something like the Ruger LC II, but in .22 Magnum.

Found these, but none of them are small (pocket size):

Saw a Ruger in real life, thought "WTF? May as well carry a Charter .44."

Gonna try to go shoot some NAAs tomorrow in Bridgewater. The missus is going to blast the centers out of those expensive damn targets with her Ruger Bearcat, but is also going to try out the 2" NAA Black Widow I bought her. All LR 'cuz she's all girly and doesn't like the noise of magnums.

Me, I'm gonna blast the hell out of a couple 3" and 4" NAA Earls just 'cuz they're fun. (WRF, which is magnum-lite.) Also gonna run a few magnum rounds through a Black Widow to see if I like it or not. I know your OP is a few months old but if you can meet us in Bridgewater on short notice you're welcome to try out an NAA magnum single action revolver or two. (Under 10 ounces, loaded.)

In case you're not locked into the passing fad of semi-auto handguns.

Glock fan boys Never cease to amaze me. OP asks for a 22 mag micro semi auto and you can't even scroll through the first page without seeing

GLOCK 42/43

🙄

Back
Top Bottom