• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who Knows?

ridleyman

NES Member
Who knows that you carry? Although I trust and adore my family members, I tell no one that I carry for fear that:

a) the left wing nazis will find out, even though it's legal per MA law and, more importantly, the US Constitution, and they will prosecute for no apparent reason

b) if God forbid we get in a "situation", however unlikely it may be, I'm afraid that my family members might give me a look, or say something, to tip off the scumbag and compromise any defensive advantage I might have and jeopardize all of us (w/o malice, of course)

Who knows? comments appreciated

Who knows that you carry? Although I trust and adore my family members, I tell no one that I carry for fear that:

a) the left wing nazis will find out, even though it's legal per MA law and, more importantly, the US Constitution, and they will prosecute for no apparent reason

b) if God forbid we get in a "situation", however unlikely it may be, I'm afraid that my family members might give me a look, or say something, to tip off the scumbag and compromise any defensive advantage I might have and jeopardize all of us (w/o malice, of course)

I guess it has a lot do do with where you live and the circles you travel in, but most of the people I know, personally and professionally, carry or own firearms. I live in a very green town where most of the homeowners own at least one firearm. Of course, I do not advertise it to people I don't know or just met, but by the same token, I am not hiding or living in fear or shame.
As far as unlawful prosecution, I have insurance for that. Well worth it.
As far as "tipping off a scumbag", I am 6'1"- 250lb white guy with cop hair. I am not a cop but everyone that meets me thinks I am. I was an 03 Marine and everything about me screams that I am probably the guy in the group that is packing. There is nothing I can do about it, so you deal with it. Like you,I am sure, I avoid dangerous paces and situations as best I can, but even in everyday situations, take steps that increase my chances, heaven forbid.
For example, my entire family knows that if we go out to dinner, I will take the seat facing the entrance, on the outside of the table, with my dominate hand free. The first thing I do is make note of the exits and emergency exits, entrance to the kitchen etc. My wife and kids know this and it is unspoken. I am not looking to engage, just GTFO.

The bottom line is, I refuse to live in fear for engaging in a legal activity and know I am in the right. I go out of my way to avoid conflict in public, on the road or in church. I also try to avoid the places that I am not legally allowed to carry. I try not to draw attention to my concealed firearm, and ensure that I am proficient in it's use, but have resigned myself to the notion that it is not leaving it's holster unless I truly believe myself or a loved one is in grave danger. Simply put, don't start nothing, won't be nothing. But if some fool does start something, they better bring their A game, because I will. Consequences be damned.
Oh, and if I lived someplace that I was constantly surrounded by left wing nazi's, I would move. Not even kidding.

my wife knows. She used to give the business about it. Until a few years ago when we were walking somewhere and we ran into a few thugs. It definitely scared the hell out of her. She asked me if I was carrying. I told don't worry about it just keep walking and we will be fine. Nothing came of the situation. we just kept walking and minded our own business but she never chirped at me again for that.

Some people know some don’t. Depends on if I feel comfortable with them. The only place I don’t carry is school property and voting booths. A lot of people know I have guns. And I educate others on gun safety when they want to know.

One of my kids actually found out once when she gave me a hug, but nobody else knows, especially my left wing extended family.

One of my kids actually found out once when she gave me a hug, but nobody else knows, especially my left wing extended family.

Years ago, I was getting dressed for my daughters Confirmation and she walked into my bed room as I was straightening my tie. I had on a shoulder holster with my best 1911 and 2 spare magazines. My daughter said " Dad, you carry a gun in church?" I replied " Especially in church"

I carry everywhere its legal. And (hypothetically) others sometimes. Everybody in my family, including Uber-liberal card carrying Bernie and Hillary fans (pretty much everybody not my wife and daughters) know I own and carry firearms. Their relative levels of gruntlement, or lack thereof, are not my concern. My house my rules, their homes they don't ask and I don't flaunt.

None of the above has changed since I moved from MA to Tennessee. Except that I have more options because no "lists". And now I can shoot in the side yard of my house in view of the road and don't care if anybody sees:)

The first rule of concealed carry is ‘don’t talk about concealed carry.’ That being said I’ve told certain close friends and family members I own guns, but I make it a point to keep details vague and I don’t try too aggressively to convert my friends into gun guys like me...most of the time :p .

I carry everywhere its legal. And (hypothetically) others sometimes. Everybody in my family, including Uber-liberal card carrying Bernie and Hillary fans (pretty much everybody not my wife and daughters) know I own and carry firearms. Their relative levels of gruntlement, or lack thereof, are not my concern. My house my rules, their homes they don't ask and I don't flaunt.

None of the above has changed since I moved from MA to Tennessee. Except that I have more options because no "lists". And now I can shoot in the side yard of my house in view of the road and don't care if anybody sees:)
+1 for "gruntlement". My dad used to enjoy that kind of wordplay.[g
Smile]

Nope. Never. That would be not only weird, but stupid.
The first rule of concealed carry is ‘don’t talk about concealed carry.’ That being said I’ve told certain close friends and family members I own guns, but I make it a point to keep details vague and I don’t try too aggressively to convert my friends into gun guys like me...most of the time :p .
I like Rocco's balanced approach. The more we all hide in the closet the more easily the sheep get spooked and the more power they have. On the other hand, with how the ERPO laws can be used as a weapon, not restricting who knows is dumb.

Who knows I own a gun:

My family, my girlfriends family, the people I hunt with, my reenacting unit, a few people I volunteer with (related to reenacting) and shooting friends.
How many of them know the extent of what I got locked up? None.

Who knows I carry:
My girlfriend, her immediate family, select shooting friends.

Last edited:
I keep my mouth mostly shut. My wife knows. A few friends know but less than a handful. A few of the leo's in town know so I suspect most of them do.
Most everyone knows I'm an owner and I don't care. I refuse to hide over it.

I had a friend (fairly liberal and an artist) ask me one day at lunch if I was carrying. My reply was to assume I'm always carrying.

Back
Top Bottom