who has an fal; rare in ma

who shoots an fal; lets see your pics. shown with a tavor and custom ruger sp101 is my dsa stg58 carbine i bought new in the early 2000's for $900 plus $10 ea for 20rd military surplus mags. never failed with re loads or factory ammo; small in size with 16" barrel, my to go gun. shot a full size fnal in full auto once, 1980's:wow, but have seen very few since. p.s. beauty of a rangemaster shooting mine
r2.JPG [ beauty.JPG

Hoping to have my Rhodesian clone finished by the end of August.

Picked up my R1 clone receiver a couple weeks ago. Just need the small parts; springs & pins, etc.

Last edited:
QjEIyU9.jpg

I shot an FAL once and didn't care for it. It would probably be fine in .223 but in .308 it kicks much harder than the M14/M1A.

And has much worse trigger and sights. Magazines are cheap, however.

Tilting breechblock rather than rotating bolt might be the cause of increased perceived recoil.

This is the complete opposite of my experience owning both rifles.

For a proper comparison, you would have to compare M1As and FALs with the same barrel length and similar weights. There's also the difference of whether or not the M1A is a match rifle or a rack grade. You can get very expensive, very nice, very tuned M1As. While you can buy a truly custom FAL from DSA or maybe Coonan when they were in business, most people don't go this route. If you want to get a FAL with a nice trigger, that's entirely possible, but most people don't.

The FAL has an adjustable gas system so there shouldn't be a reason why a FAL inherently has more recoil than a M1A unless there's a difference in the weight of the guns or something like that... Besides the more obvious answer that the owner didn't set up the gas on the FAL properly. The recoil difference comes down to simply physics: a FAL has a gas piston similar to a SVT-40 or an AK, whereas the M1A has a giant operating rod. Each shot drives back that op rod into the receiver and drives the bolt.

If someone was to do an objective recoil weight test using a Springfield M1A Standard Issue versus a "normal" DSA SA58 that's had its gas system properly tuned, my money's on the FAL. I've owned both platforms and shot multiple types of rifle in both platforms. The FAL should have less recoil.

I subjectively like the FAL's sights more because they're conceptually easier (I grew up with basic Ruger 10/22 and Marlin Model 60 sights) but both platforms are old tech and not the most user friendly to mount an optic on. However the FAL doesn't require a side mount (but doesn't actually get the optic on the receiver).

I owned a match grade FNFAL back in the 70's. Paid 1500 for it and sold it a year later for 1800. Damned rifle was a tack shooter. Grape fruit sized groups with iron sights at 600 yards and factory ammo. Only reason I sold it was the early ones into the country were capable of being converted to full auto and I was paranoid about that.

I owned a match grade FNFAL back in the 70's. Paid 1500 for it and sold it a year later for 1800. Damned rifle was a tack shooter. Grape fruit sized groups with iron sights at 600 yards and factory ammo. Only reason I sold it was the early ones into the country were capable of being converted to full auto and I was paranoid about that.
hay did not know would not hurt them; they are a blast in full auto

I shot an FAL once and didn't care for it. It would probably be fine in .223 but in .308 it kicks much harder than the M14/M1A.
Interesting, completely opposite experience for me. The FAL I have shot had much reduced recoil compared to the M1A I have experience with. I found the M1A to recoil a lot more whereas the FAL was quite pleasant.

And has much worse trigger and sights. Magazines are cheap, however.
Are you sure you're not thinking about the G3? FAL mags are going for $20-$25 each (or more) whereas G3 mags can be had under $10. Midway has parkerized 20-round M14 magazines for $28.

If any of you bought your STG from that tool in North Attleboro in the early 2000's on the used rack, you are welcome. I grossly underpriced my FAL because Lyin Ted told me it wasn't worth NEARLY that much. I think DSA was retailing them for $1,300 at the time.

Enjoy it. It was gone pretty quick. I went back to change the price and it was already gone. I assumed Ted just took it. Of course, it took 3 visits over a month for him to pay me for the consigned guns. "I'm too busy to give you money right now." Uhhhhh, good thinking moron. Guess where I won't go next time I consign?? I'll take the drive to 4S instead.

Oh, and not a fan of the FAL, hence the sale. Ergonomics are great if you have 8" thumbs. I didn't like the sights. And 308 isn't my bag, baby, yeahhh!

Are you sure you're not thinking about the G3? FAL mags are going for $20-$25 each (or more) whereas G3 mags can be had under $10. Midway has parkerized 20-round M14 magazines for $28.
i bought those in 2000; the guy who sold me the gun had a garage full of them

I built my FAL from a kit my father gave to me before he passed away in '13. It was an STG58 upper and Imbel lower. The STG58 parts looked unissued and the bore mint. The Imbel lower looked like it'd been through some heavy use. I got the DSA upper through an FFL and put the gun together myself. The only thing I had someone else do was to have the muzzle brake pinned/ soldered. It's still one of my favorite rifles and I never bothered to do anything the the finish. It's got that frankengun look and I love it. Shoots beautifully. Recoil? Psshhh. Its a .308 battle rifle, not a .22. Suck it up. :D

D6353188-C432-4C45-AE7C-AB1DD926C165.jpeg

I have an FN-FALs built from those those 1970’s Congolese rifles CIA sent over during their revolution. The kit’s receiver came cut in thirds and I bought an Imbel for the build. It stopped shooting at a MRGC event a few years back - busted firing pin or something. I need to get that fixed! Maybe this is the incentive...

I know a good amount of old guys with FALs...they where buying them in the 80s and metric mags where a bit tougher to find. Now those guys are holding onto them waiting to get the best return on their FAL.
I think there are more around here in mass than some think. They are just tucked away in the safe.

If any of you bought your STG from that tool in North Attleboro in the early 2000's on the used rack, you are welcome. I grossly underpriced my FAL because Lyin Ted told me it wasn't worth NEARLY that much. I think DSA was retailing them for $1,300 at the time.

Enjoy it. It was gone pretty quick. I went back to change the price and it was already gone. I assumed Ted just took it. Of course, it took 3 visits over a month for him to pay me for the consigned guns. "I'm too busy to give you money right now." Uhhhhh, good thinking moron. Guess where I won't go next time I consign?? I'll take the drive to 4S instead.

Oh, and not a fan of the FAL, hence the sale. Ergonomics are great if you have 8" thumbs. I didn't like the sights. And 308 isn't my bag, baby, yeahhh!
i bought mine from that guy in norton ma

I searched high and low for an inch pattern L1A1 and found one as soon as I moved to MO. Was waiting on the moving truck to show up and me and the wife went out for lunch and saw this gun shop across the street, just down from the house. Walked in and there it was, an inch pattern commonwealth rifle hanging on the wall amongst AK's, Galil's and H&K's. $999.00 OTD and she was mine. Speaking of FAL's, I have an extra green web sling for one that's collecting dust. My wife got me one for Christmas and just HAD to get it from England, while my buddy heard me talking and bought me the same thing, so I have an extra if anyone needs it.

Back
Top Bottom