Who got in for the S/W Winter Nationals?

I got in, paid then was told the match was full and was given a refund.

To me the whole process was oakie dokie from the get go. A lot of people predicted this was going to happen.

Who has a registration website that has the reg. portion of it hidden? The open reg didn't come up until 6:05, the correct version until 6:10 and by then the match is full? really?

Previous years' shooters had early registration to shoot this year- so it wasn't "oakie dokie". It's an extremely popular match with much fewer slots that potential participants. I bet there were many dozens of people clicking away at 6:00 sharp.

Previous years' shooters had early registration to shoot this year- so it wasn't "oakie dokie". It's an extremely popular match with much fewer slots that potential participants. I bet there were many dozens of people clicking away at 6:00 sharp.

I couldn't even find out when registration was going to open up. Did it ever open up to the public, or only for early registration?

Shooters that shot the match for the last 3 out of the last 3 years were allowed to register at 4:30 pm. Those that shot 2 out of the last 3 at 5:00 pm. Those that shot 1 out of the last 3 years at 5:30 pm and then new shooters at 6:00 pm. Last year everyone registered all at once and the system jammed up, probably from so many people trying to register at the same time so I presume the priority registration this year was an attempt to lessen problem. I hear folks trying to logon at 6:00 pm had a similar logjam - I can only imagine it would be worse if there was no pre-registration.

A 3-gun shooter I know told me that the Fort Benning 3-Gun match sold out last time in 7 seconds... http://www.fb3g.com/ So, I don't know what the answer is... I think Lugnut is right on the mark when he says there are just too many shooters interested in participating in this match and too few slots. Where it is a National Championship match there are people all over the world trying to get into this match in addition to all our local shooters who can take advantage of the close proximity of this match so that makes it even worse... Last few years it took a few days for the Thursday slots to fill... This year it looks like everything was gone real quick...

One easy way to get a slot is volunteer to work.

When I was shooting IDPA (I may be back LOL) I shot this match for 6 years. Great match and always shot with the same group. We enjoyed it. We have all kind of drifted away.

Good luck to those shooting. You will enjoy it. To those that didn't get in, the match has a lot of no shows so be on the wait list if you really are interested.

I got in, paid then was told the match was full and was given a refund.

Same here. I know of a few others it happened to as well. I e-mailed Mike Critser and asked to be put on the waiting list. He replied and said OK, but then today he refunded my money. Not sure if that means I'm off the wait list, or still on. I'll send an e-mail now to see if I can clarify. I'm not sure if there is a more fair way to do it, but it kind of sucks if new shooters can't get in.

There in lies the challenge- give your repeat customers the best chance to get in... or try to get more new shooters in. No easy answers....
Yup. I certainly understand that. I just wish that the date and time for when it was going to open to the public had been publicized. As it is, I had no chance.

Same here. I know of a few others it happened to as well. I e-mailed Mike Critser and asked to be put on the waiting list. He replied and said OK, but then today he refunded my money. Not sure if that means I'm off the wait list, or still on. I'll send an e-mail now to see if I can clarify.

Mike confirmed that I'm still on the wait list.

Its my 1st time. I got a Saturday slot ;)
I just kept refreshing and got lucky.

I hate you! Just kidding. [smile] I'm glad to hear that at least a few first timers got it. I think I wore out my F5 key because I kept hitting refresh so often.

It also doesn't help how many of the slots are taken up by special people and don't even show on matchreg. Note how matchreg shows 4 squads for Thursday, 6 for Friday and 7 for Saturday. I know at least one of the Super Squads on Saturday and possibly both wasn't visible during regular registration either.

It also doesn't help how many of the slots are taken up by special people and don't even show on matchreg. Note how matchreg shows 4 squads for Thursday, 6 for Friday and 7 for Saturday. I know at least one of the Super Squads on Saturday and possibly both wasn't visible during regular registration either.

It has been that way since I first shot the match in 2000. That part will never change.

I don't expect the supersquad to change, but were half of thursday's slots always unavailable? I don't really care that much, as i had priority registration from shooting in the past and chose not to. I don't really enjoy no/low light stages that much. Nor being treated like an inconvenience instead of a customer by the SO staff.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I don't expect the supersquad to change, but were half of thursday's slots always unavailable? I don't really care that much, as i had priority registration from shooting in the past and chose not to. I don't really enjoy no/low light stages that much. Nor being treated like an inconvenience instead of a customer by the SO staff.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Thursday used to be filled mostly with Fri & Sat staff.

I gave up on the match a few years ago. I was assigned an afternoon slot, we started late, I had a three hour ride ahead of me and walked out at 6PM with half the stages left to shoot. I had bad experiences with a couple SOs and felt it was time to walk away. (My revolver gear got moved three times on as many stages)

That was pretty much the end of IDPA for me. I am looking at starting back this year on a limited basis for trigger time only.

Thursday used to be filled mostly with Fri & Sat staff.

I gave up on the match a few years ago. I was assigned an afternoon slot, we started late, I had a three hour ride ahead of me and walked out at 6PM with half the stages left to shoot. I had bad experiences with a couple SOs and felt it was time to walk away. (My revolver gear got moved three times on as many stages)

That was pretty much the end of IDPA for me. I am looking at starting back this year on a limited basis for trigger time only.

Gary- That sucks. I've had my experiences with nasty SOs there as well. I don't get it. Most of the people that run that match as well as others locally are not that way at all. I'm sure when you were an SO you certainly didn't treat people like crap and i pretty sure I don't either. I hope when you can back into it you'll enjoy yourself. Try not to let a couple bad eggs spoil it for you.

Jeff with all due respect, that is uncalled for.

Apologies for painting with a broad brush. I should have said by one particular member of the staff. Screaming at me to get off his stage when I asked for clarification on a scoring call was uncalled for.

In for a Saturday slot...

Looking forward to what I hope will be a challenging and fun match. Possibly maybe meeting some "super stars"... Jerry Miculek, Julie Golob

Apologies for painting with a broad brush. I should have said by one particular member of the staff. Screaming at me to get off his stage when I asked for clarification on a scoring call was uncalled for.

Oh I remember you telling me about that. There have been some rude guys there- no excuse for that. I try to let that crap roll off me...

In for a Saturday slot...

Looking forward to what I hope will be a challenging and fun match. Possibly maybe meeting some "super stars"... Jerry Miculek, Julie Golob

Julie appears to be shooting the match this year. I don't think she has shot it the last couple matches. Maybe you can get get her autograph at the banquet!

Yeah Julie had trouble getting out of her airport in Montana due to snow during last year's match and showed up after the start. I got in on Friday by the sheer kindness off Weedwhacker calling me and suggesting for me to actually read the email instead of the website directions. Thanks again Aaron.

I got in last year from a waiting list to shoot on Thursday. I had an overall great time, there was some SO's were on the rude side but as Lugnut suggested, I tried to let it roll off me.

It's common practice to hold spots for sponsors - that's usually part of the sponsorship package - they get slots to the match. How many spots depends on the number of sponsors and what they've contributed to the event.

My brother and I are in on Saturday... Squad 33 if I remember correctly. We've attended the previous 2 years so we registered early. When it got to choosing our squad the spaces were filling up very quickly.

For those who are shooting on Saturday... hope to see you guys there!

My brother and I are in on Saturday... Squad 33 if I remember correctly. We've attended the previous 2 years so we registered early. When it got to choosing our squad the spaces were filling up very quickly.

For those who are shooting on Saturday... hope to see you guys there!

I'm in squad 33 also. i Hope to have a fun day. 1st time at S&W for me. Looks like lots of great shooters. I hope i have a good outing.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom